Smoke it to the nub... ?

Started by M82, 06/26/2017 06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M82

I just read in a book I bought that cigars are usually smoked to the band.  Say WHAT? Man I must be a cheap *@#% because I peel the band off carefully ( I save them) and keep on going? Maybe a noob mistake? Should I be laying it down with that much stick left ? Whats the word around here with the Geeks on that ?
Maybe we can rehash this Thursday night in the HERF.  :dancing:

appollo

If I'm enjoying the stick and its not getting hot I smoke it to the nub. :biggrin:

Cap10_Morgan

Some people don't like to smoke beyond that point, but that's often my favorite part of the cigar.
"A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores." -Klinger, M*A*S*H

05Venturer

Depends on how much I am enjoying the cigar
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

tgs679

As most have said, If I am enjoying it i smoke it down.

M82

Ok so I'm good - I thought so. As long as it's still bringing the goodness .. keep on keeping on. Hahah
Hope to see some of you guys Thursday night. I'm going to be deserving of a nice cigar by then . Thursday AM colonoscopy ! :-0

05Venturer

QuoteM82 - 6/26/2017  7:09 PM

Ok so I'm good - I thought so. As long as it's still bringing the goodness .. keep on keeping on. Hahah
Hope to see some of you guys Thursday night. I'm going to be deserving of a nice cigar by then . Thursday AM colonoscopy ! :-0

Make sure you ask ""Any sign of the trapped miners, Chief?" partway thru the procedure.
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

toby2

it depends for me. most of the time i smoke one to the nub i haven't had a relight. and as far as relights go if i'm on the third one the cigar is getting a bit funky and i won't finish it too far down. i work out of my truck so getting in and out of jobs requires the cigar to set in the tray a bit sometimes. that's why i also smoke a pipe. relights don't hurt pipe tobacco for the most part.

DonM

Some cigars are good all of the way to a nub and I will smoke it until there is nothing much left.  Others I find bring in a nasty flavor in the end and are best to let it go

"The Curmudgeon"

jagfandaddy

QuoteCap10_Morgan - 6/26/2017  7:20 PM

Some people don't like to smoke beyond that point, but that's often my favorite part of the cigar.

Mine as well Jeff!
"Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle."
 George Burns

Olddog

Smoke it till it gets too hot or stops tasting good...
"Honest men, with pipes or cigars in their mouths, have great physical advantages in conversation. You may stop talking if you like, but the breaks of silence never seem disagreeable, being filled up by the puffing of smoke." - William Makepeace Thackeray

tvolball

Yep

QuoteOlddog - 6/26/2017  11:27 PM

"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

Brlesq

QuoteOlddog - 6/26/2017  8:27 PM

x2
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

danb6177

Ive stuck a toothpick in a cigar to get another two or 3 draws off of it.
I used to sit outside all night and drink bud lite and smoke Marlboros and everyone thought I was a bum. Now I sit outside all night and drink craft beers and smoke cigars and everyone thinks I have class.
-----
Money cant buy happiness but it CAN buy cigars

Vroomp

Refer to avatar................
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

M82

Quote05Venturer - 6/26/2017  8:14 PM

QuoteM82 - 6/26/2017  7:09 PM

Make sure you ask ""Any sign of the trapped miners, Chief?" partway thru the procedure.

Good one ! Haha omg.  That would be great.

M82

Thank you for all the replies, as this has been my experience. I've still been enjoying the cigar way down so I figured why quit ? Relighting if needed down past the band can be interesting but I like getting my money's  worth out of a stogie !

M82

QuoteVroomp - 6/26/2017  9:27 PM

Refer to avatar................

PERFECT !

Beegerply

QuoteBrlesq - 6/26/2017  11:12 PM

QuoteOlddog - 6/26/2017  8:27 PM

x2

x3
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

Deener27

Hence me rehashing a 4 year old thread this morning about a nubber.  Most sticks get better with the last 1/3.

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you." The Stranger

"Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and I'm no slouch myself.

"You may run like Mays, but you hit like !@#$." ~Lou Brown in Major League

"Looks like you have El Hosel, the laterals—you know, the S-word" ~ Romeo in Tin Cup

DonM

Using a Havana Saver on a Tabac Especial Red Yet right now!

"The Curmudgeon"

klamm143

Quotetvolball - 6/26/2017  9:08 PM  Yep  
QuoteOlddog - 6/26/2017  11:27 PM  Smoke it till it gets too hot or stops tasting good...

Agreed...........If it's good and not hot on the draw - i'll keep it going 'till my fingers blister....JMHO. 

Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

M82

Quoteklamm143 - 6/28/2017  10:47 PM

Quotetvolball - 6/26/2017  9:08 PM  Yep  
QuoteOlddog - 6/26/2017  11:27 PM  Smoke it till it gets too hot or stops tasting good...

Agreed...........If it's good and not hot on the draw - i'll keep it going 'till my fingers blister....JMHO. 

Haha. I've thought to myself WOW this is going to burn my fingers .. Glad I'm not alone !

CoreyMacLeod

For me, the question is about both the flavor and the experience.  Is the flavor good?  If so, keep going.  Is it burning the crap out of my fingers or lips?  If so, stop.  Now, there are times where the former overpowers the latter, and I sacrifice fingers/lips for one more puff.
No Signature Necessary.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.