Cigars for Troops - 2017

Started by nwb, 08/18/2017 03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nwb

9th Annual Cigars for Troops Drive

It's that time of year again! Even though the holiday season is a couple months away, starting early will give everyone who wants to participate time to send a care package. Here are the previous years' threads:

2010 - http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=5894.0
2011 - http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=9907.0
2012 - http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=15038.0
2013 - http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=25603.0
2014 - http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=29268.0
2015 - http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=35192.0
2016 - http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=42976.0

Historic Donations
2010 -    525 Cigars
2011 -    587 Cigars
2012 -    676 Cigars
2013 - 1,343 Cigars
2014 - 1,617 Cigars
2015 - 1,619 Cigars
2016 - 1,484 Cigars

The basic rules:

*The cutoff will be October 31st for getting packages/donations in the mail to me. This will allow me enough time to get them shipped and the soldiers receive them before the holidays.

*This is open to anyone, whether you are a vet or newbie.  The more the merrier! This is your chance to get that coveted "Troop Supporter" badge.

*Send as many cigars as you would like. Even a fiver will make a difference. Cutters and/or matches would also be appreciated, as well as sealed pipe tobacco, pipes, pipe cleaners, etc. Please, no lighters – I'm trying to avoid any problems with USPS.

*Cigars with cellophane travel better.  However, if you have cigars without cellophane, feel free to send them.  Any donations of 5/6 finger bags is also appreciated.

*Packages can be drop shipped to me from vendors.  Members have done this in years past with success.

*Please PM me for my mailing address and/or if you send a package. I'd like to avoid boxes sitting on my doorstep in case I'm traveling.

*I will keep a running list of those that have expressed interest along with if I received the package. If you commit to donating early on and decide it can't be done, no harm, no foul.

*Paul (SenorPablo) has generously offered to cover all shipping costs.  Thanks Paul!

Last year, I created a virtual humidor with all the cigars. Depending on the response, I might do that again this year.  For those of you who keep track of your cigars in the virtual humidor or excel, providing a list of the donated cigars when you send them helps a LOT in this effort.

One other note: if you know of a group deployed oversees, especially in an area of conflict, please nominate them by sending me a PM.  We typically send 3-4 packages, so I'd like to spread the wealth.

As always, feel free to post any questions!
Chief of Shaft

Deener27

Love to help any way I can.

Let's make this a record setting year, shall we?

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you." The Stranger

"Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and I'm no slouch myself.

"You may run like Mays, but you hit like !@#$." ~Lou Brown in Major League

"Looks like you have El Hosel, the laterals—you know, the S-word" ~ Romeo in Tin Cup

appollo

clami

Count me!  Can't believe it's that time already.

Cap10_Morgan

I've been looking forward to this since I joined the site.  Definitely going to be participating.  Thanks for setting this up again!
"A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores." -Klinger, M*A*S*H

klamm143

PM sent......count me in as well.
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

biggsy16

Never done being a Dad

toby2

nwb

Great start!  Thanks folks!

appollo
biggsy16
Deener27
Cap10_Morgan
clami
klamm143
nwb
toby2
Chief of Shaft

BrockDB

- Brock

"Some people meditate; I smoke cigars..." - Ron Perlman

SKOL VIKINGS!

ninfiction

Yep definitely will be sending a package or 2.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

sambadave

headfirst

When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

jagfandaddy

Count me in too. Glad to help out!
"Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle."
 George Burns

amigodecigars

Semper Paratus.....sending some from the factory in Costa Rica.
"There are plenty of good five-cent cigars in the country. The trouble is they cost a quarter. What this country needs is a good five-cent nickel."  Franklin Pierce Adams

Olddog

Ahoy, will be sending some.
"Honest men, with pipes or cigars in their mouths, have great physical advantages in conversation. You may stop talking if you like, but the breaks of silence never seem disagreeable, being filled up by the puffing of smoke." - William Makepeace Thackeray

Brlesq

Thanks for all of your effort in running this each year Nate.  Its a lot of work, and we all appreciate it!  :bigthumbs:
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

junglepete

For sure in again...I'm surprised the number went down in 2016 compared to 2015...hopefully we can beat 2016 this year. Thanks for hosting this once again Nate.
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

nwb

QuoteBrlesq - 8/19/2017  11:23 AM

Thanks for all of your effort in running this each year Nate.  Its a lot of work, and we all appreciate it!  :bigthumbs:

It is a time commitment, but it is minuscule when I think about sacrifices made by our folks in uniform.  It is really a pleasure to send something to lift their spirits!
Chief of Shaft

nwb

Quotejunglepete - 8/19/2017  4:14 PM

For sure in again...I'm surprised the number went down in 2016 compared to 2015...hopefully we can beat 2016 this year. Thanks for hosting this once again Nate.

Last year was kind of a quiet year, but I was still impressed with the turnout.  I haven't been on CG much this year, but I'm already impressed with the interest!
Chief of Shaft

nwb

Keep 'em coming!

amigodecigars
appollo
biggsy16
Brlesq
BrockDB
Deener27
Cap10_Morgan
clami
headfirst
jagfandaddy
junglepete
klamm143
ninfiction
nwb
Olddog
sambadave
toby2
Chief of Shaft

wescat

I'm in. You're a damn fine dude for doing this every year Nathan.
The second law chases us all.
In most realms, tranquility comes from ownership.
Order ensues when everyone totes their own water.  
Stand firm, and never let the bastards grind you down.  
Life's arc is primarily charted between ones ears.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

bstessl

Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

Vroomp

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

SenorPablo

I'll certainly send something this year.  Thanks for running this again Nathan!

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.