A little more about me

Started by Shukpaw, 09/12/2017 04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shukpaw

I realize there are a lot of newer (3 or less years) geeks on the site who really don't know me.  Let's be honest, I was gone long enough for some of you who were here with me to forget me; and life has continued since then, so I figured I'd kind of reintroduce myself.

I originally started using this site for the online humidor and the reviews, but have enjoyed the forums.

I am 47.  I have a wife (21 years) and two kids; 11 year old boy and 9 year old girl.  I have smoked cigars for 25 years, but only seriously for 7 or 8 years.

I live in Seattle.  I was previously in Everett.  My Dad died 5 years ago.  2 years ago my Mom moved to a retirement community after being in our house for 47 years.  She offered to sell us her house, but it was out of reach.  She graciously, kindly, add another positive adjective here, let us buy the house for the equity we had in our house in Everett and a similar mortgage payment to what we had in Everett.  So we bought the house and moved to Seattle.  It is one more bedroom, nicer neighborhood, and 30 minutes closer to my wife's work.

My wife works for Seattle Children's Hospital as an admin assistant.  I stayed home with the kids for 8 and a half years.  Earlier this year she got demoted and I now work part time at the hospital as a shuttle driver.  Most of the people who work at the hospital park at off site parking lots and get shuttled to the hospital.  I usually work 5 hours a day early mornings or evenings.  Weeks like this one are nice.  I am working 6 to 11am.  Home by noon, grab a cigar, and I'm done in time to go pick up the kids from school.

I was an Army sergeant in the veterinary corps for most of the 90's and think there is a good chance that I met a couple of the geeks on this site during that time (Ken Kelly and a geek who's Dad was stationed at the same base as me who's name is eluding me right now).

We are active in our church which we have been at for over 10 years.  We still go to church in Everett, and often spend the rest of Sundays with friends from our old neighborhood.

Through this site I have made many good friends.  I often hang  out with Mark (MT21) and I see Bryan (metalhead y cigarguy) at least once a year.  We do a Northwest Cigar Geeks Herf first full weekend of July in Olympia every year.  7 years and counting.  You are all invited.  I have met many other geeks when they have visited the northwest or when I have traveled.

We do and take in a lot of music and baseball (mainly minor league: Everett short season A and Tacoma AAA).  My son does Little League.  I also spend a lot of time with Scouting and AWANA with my kids.  I do the majority of the cooking for my family.  I try to do at least one half marathon every quarter.

In the past, I have bought more cigars than I should.  Everything in my public humidor is up for sale or trade.  I prefer sale.  I try to keep it up tp date.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to know.

I'm right 98% of the time.  Who cares about the other 3%?

headfirst

Saw those reviews lately and figured it was a non-forums guy.  Thanks for the re-intro for guys like me.
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

sar127

Welcome back! I must've joined just as you were taking a break.
Sir Rob

"I never smoke to excess - that is, I smoke in moderation, only one cigar at a time." - Mark Twain

ninfiction

Great re-intro and thanks again for picking up my PIF a turn early. Good to have another guy around to combat with the curmudgeons.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

Olddog

Nice re-intro.  Has already given me so great advice!
"Honest men, with pipes or cigars in their mouths, have great physical advantages in conversation. You may stop talking if you like, but the breaks of silence never seem disagreeable, being filled up by the puffing of smoke." - William Makepeace Thackeray

klamm143

Great to have you back - I look forward to getting to know you - I might take you up on that Herf get together thingy - I have friends out in the Tri-Cities area and just might have to schedule my next visit out there around your Herf Celebration. (I'll add it to THE CIGAR SMOKING BUCKET LIST.
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

Silverstix

Excellent re-intro (a intro for me).  I really like this idea of giving us some real detail about yourself and your family.  Makes the community feel a little closer

Vroomp

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

Cap10_Morgan

Great "re-intro" and glad to have you back.  Don't let my join date fool you, I am a newb.  I joined years ago only to use the humidor and database.  Just started posting in May of this year.  I just checked out your humidor and will probably be hitting you up the next time I have some cash to spend on cigars.  (You have a few I have been wanting to get, but just moved to a new house and won't have a budget for a but)  Do you (or did you) ever join the google herfs?  If so, I'm sure I'll catch up with you on there soon enough.
"A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores." -Klinger, M*A*S*H

MacMac

Welcome back. I'll checkout your humidor!
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.