What are you Thankful for this year???

Started by PETE314, 12/13/2017 07:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PETE314

I know it is past Thanksgiving, but I felt a need to give Thanks for the ups and downs of the past year as it comes to a close.  Please join in and tell your story.

I have not been overly active on the board in the last couple years.  2 years ago, I moved my family from Cleveland, OH to Charleston, SC.  Needless to say, it was a huge decision to uproot us and move away from my family.  There were times where I asked myself, “What did I do to us?”.  With a new job, new home, and different routines, I really did not do much on the board.

So one of the first things I am thankful for is Brad (Vroomp).  Brad graciously gave up his spot in the Wishlist PIF and gifted it to me.  Brian(bstessl) floored me with his selections.  And while I am immensely grateful for the cigars.  I think I am more grateful for connecting again with Cigar Geeks.  I do not post often, but now, I am checking the site most, if not every, mornings and keeping tabs.

My year started off with trepidation, and is ending with jubilation.  I started a new role at the Hospital and had a large and stressful learning curve.  But I am thankful for an understanding boss, who gave me leeway to learn.  In the end, I received a high mark for my Annual Review.  I redesigned the server layout for our reporting system and had 200% gains in performance.  I have been learning new things and taking on more responsibilities.

We lost family members this year, but I am grateful that they are now with the loved ones they so desperately missed.  We found out that my uncle has Stage 4 Pancreatic Cancer.  But I am grateful for the time we got to spend upon his visit.  And I am grateful that the cancer growth rate has slowed greatly and we may have more time with him.  I am grateful for the way he is approaching his treatment which is geared more towards a quality of life than a quantity.  I have always looked up to him and he only gives me more reason to by the way he is handling this.

My wife has struggled since moving down here.  The salary rate for her work is about half of what she would earn in Cleveland.  And the job opportunities are just not there.  She is currently with her 4th company since moving here, and this one looks to be the job she has been looking for all of her life.  The company adores her, promoted her to an executive level, QUICKLY, and she is now making close to 3 times what she was early in the year.  She also receives a very generous bonus structure.  The money is great, but honestly, the best thing about all of this is that she is really hitting her stride and absolutely LOVES the work.  And it is a lot of work.  She loves the company, the people she works with, and the work that they do.

We got to take a wonderful 10th Anniversary trip.  Next year we are planning something big for next Christmas.  Yes, we had a slow start to this year, but we have a huge head of steam leading into 2018.  And I am very grateful and thankful for it all.

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken....

What good is it to wear your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????

Cfickter

Pete, thanks for starting this thread and sharing,
For our family we have a lot to be thankful for.  Our youngest daughter graduated from WVU and got a job in her major.  While she moved she is only two hours away.  Our oldest was married in July to a great guy from a strong family that shares our beliefs and values.  We had an awesome wedding day and now she also lives in Charleston, like you.  We don't get to see her much but talk often. My wife and I celebrated 30 years of marriage in November. I really married up and couldn't be happier. While she is not a big fan of the cigar habit, she is tolerant so I can't ask for more.

But on another front this Geeks site and the guys and gals who are here are awesome, some have become very close friends and I am thankful for that.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

AustinMike

My mother passed away a couple of weeks ago.  I am thankful for having a mother who showed me unconditional love for 46 years of my life.  I try to raise my kids the same way my mother did, with lots of love and understanding.  I have my health and a great life here in central Texas.  Merry Christmas to you all and hopes for a very prosperous 2018!

PETE314

Chuck - Wonderful to hear about your daughters.  You will definitely have to get in contact with me when you come down to visit her.  Charleston is a WONDERFUL City and we feel blessed to be here.  

Mike- very sorry to hear about your mother.  I can't imagine how difficult this time is for you.  I am sure the lessons learned from her have served you well and will serve your children well.  Merry Christmas to you and hopes for a prosperous 2018 to you as well.
I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken....

What good is it to wear your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????

benchjockey

My condolences on the loss of your mother, Mike. But from your words about how you are raising your children the same way she raised you, I'm sure she is looking down at you with a big smile on her face.
You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

Cfickter

QuotePETE314 - 12/13/2017  10:38 AM  Chuck - Wonderful to hear about your daughters.  You will definitely have to get in contact with me when you come down to visit her.  Charleston is a WONDERFUL City and we feel blessed to be here.    Mike- very sorry to hear about your mother.  I can't imagine how difficult this time is for you.  I am sure the lessons learned from her have served you well and will serve your children well.  Merry Christmas to you and hopes for a prosperous 2018 to you as well.

Pete, will do, we try to make it down once or twice a year.  Her husband is coach at Charleston Southern U. So we usually make a game

Mike, deepest condolences 

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

AustinMike

Thank you for the condolences and words of support.

nirab

I am thankful for kindness, compassion, joy, and inclusiveness...the elements of true love... :angel:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Vroomp

Saddened to hear of the passing of loved ones as I too have lost a family member this past year and it is sad I won't get to enjoy her company any longer.... :-(

On the bright side I am thankful that the cigar business we started almost 4 years ago is finally showing profits this year and, in no small way, thanks to Brian for his support at their new shop in Beautiful Buda, Texas for quickly becoming our second best retailer~! Also, I am thankful my wife was able to receive affordable treatment for Hep C and is now free from this disease and both my daughters are healthy and seem happy in their lives and their jobs. I am actually losing a bit of weight myself and feeling better than ever lately (mostly because of less stress from business related issues)and am looking forward to expanding all three of my current companies this next year. Heck, I might even give myself a raise~! :biggrin:

I am thankful for the friends I have here at CG, online, and in the cigar industry that have been so helpful (including Pete who has done a fantastic job with all the Xiphos labels and artwork) in enabling me to achieve my goals for the year and welcoming me into the inner circle of industry associates~!

Can't wait to see what 2018 has in store for my businesses, myself, and my family~!

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.