What's the story on cello?

Started by PurosIndios1, 04/28/2018 12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's the story on cello?

Cello On

PurosIndios1

So i'm new to cigars so excuse my ignorance but I  just wanted to clarify what the purpose of the cello is? I've heard the cigars don't breathe with it on? What about aging? Thx in advance, I really appreciate your help!

Brlesq

Good question that hasn't been asked in a while!
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

shakinghorizons

It's like a condom, use it everytime! If it looks bad, double bag.

bstessl

Quoteshakinghorizons - 4/28/2018  10:23 AM  It's like a condom, use it everytime! If it looks bad, double bag.

:lmao:
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

WatchmanUSA

Do whatever let's you sleep at night
"Why pay $100 on a therapy session when you can spend $25 on a cigar? Whatever it is will come back; so what, smoke another one."  Raul Julia

DonM

Rather than be OCD about it, store them as you get them

"The Curmudgeon"

Deener27

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you." The Stranger

"Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and I'm no slouch myself.

"You may run like Mays, but you hit like !@#$." ~Lou Brown in Major League

"Looks like you have El Hosel, the laterals—you know, the S-word" ~ Romeo in Tin Cup

c9belayer

Purpose: Protect the cigar during handling, shipping, storing, and from mold, Lasioderma serricorne, etc.

Breathe: If untreated (and I suspect all cigar manufacturers use untreated cellulose hydrate) it is air-permeable and biodegradable. So yes, cigars can "breathe" (if by 'breathe' you mean can humidity transfer take place).

Aging: Again, yes.  It'll happen slower, but it will happen nonetheless.

My experience: For several years, I unwrapped all cigars before they went into my humidors. Then, in response to some articles I read, I began to leave them in their wrappers to see I could actually taste the assertion that "uncelloed cigars aged together will mute each other's flavor profiles."  Sounds logical, but after a year and half of unscientific testing, I have to say I can't really tell the difference. So I've come to the conclusion that I won't worry about it. If I get celloed cigars, they go into my humidor as such; ditto for the uncelloed sticks.

Google the question and you'll find some really good articles on the subject. Also remember, cigar makers know more than you do, and have done (and risked) a lot in deciding how to package cigars, so if it works for them, it works for me.

Happy herfing!

-- c9belayer

Cap10_Morgan

I store em as I get em.  Would definitely never use saran wrap though.  Is it permeable like cellos are?
"A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores." -Klinger, M*A*S*H

DonM

QuoteCap10_Morgan - 4/30/2018  7:20 PM

I store em as I get em.  Would definitely never use saran wrap though.  Is it permeable like cellos are?

Is a condom?

:lmao:

"The Curmudgeon"

Cap10_Morgan

The ones I bought at the dollar store apparently were.  Damnit, now I got 3 kids coming, lol.
"A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores." -Klinger, M*A*S*H

05Venturer

Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Cap10_Morgan

I see someone has been spending a lot of time on youtube.  Hope you're feeling better.  This video was much better though.  Love it.

gitfiddl

Personally, I keep mine in the cellos.  Those cigars that come nekked I put in "five finger bags" or reuse old cellos.
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.