Boveda Packs

Started by pferg, 06/11/2018 07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pferg

Just getting my holiday trailer humidor set up and i usually just use 2 boveda packs 65% but got it started with one of the foam humidifiers that came with it.
Question i thought of is if i keep the foam one charged up will the packs last longer? should i do that for both my humidors in my house to?
I know the Boveda website says not to but is that just so they keep selling more?

jagfandaddy

I've tried that but my humidity went too high. I could not control it that well with the foam in the humidor.
"Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle."
 George Burns

MusicCity

Just run the boveda. Foolproof.

Cfickter

The Bovedas are they way to go.  If combined with the foam they will always be trying to balance out the RH based on the moisture of the foam.  If the foam is too wet the Bovedas will over compensate and try to take in all the extra moisture and at one point be at capacity and cannot take more in, like wise if the foam is dry it will try to suck up the RH and dray out the Bovedas quicker.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

ninfiction

Depending on the size of the humidor you can add another Boveda pack, this would also help them last longer. There's no such thing as having too many, they will all work together unlike the sponge.

The Boveda packs can also be recharged when they dry out. Just put them in a small airtight container(Tupperware) with some distilled water in a smaller dish. You can put them directly in distilled water but the paper will breakdown faster. Often I'll spritz them with some distilled water to speed the process a bit. I have a few extra Boveda so I can recharge a few and still have a few in my humidors.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

CarlosoftHUN

These days I use Boveda pack and beads ( humidification beads with propylene -glycol) together, and they are working just fine.

But still by the time, the Boveda starts to dry out, so then I re-humidifying it by using distilled water on a paper towel, wrap the boveda pack with it, and I put the whole thing into a zip-bag for 2-3 days.... and it is like a new one again... I do this every 2 months or so..... So other 2 Boveda I bought from Amazon is still in the box :-D
Cigars - What else?

"The light ones may be killers, the dark ones mild; not the wrappers but the fillers, make cigars or women wild." -Keith Preston

Murphy223

How long does the Boveda last before you need to re-charge?  How do you tell

CarlosoftHUN

Im having one 68% pack in a humidor for 40 cigars, and lasts about 2 months for me before "re-charging" it. That does not mean they are fully dried out, but when I feel that the edges of the pack are too "crispy" and the inner part is like a "jelly sandbag" then I take out and do as I said above... then it lasts another two months..
The packaging is getting wet a bit for that boveda, but after half day it looks like new..
Cigars - What else?

"The light ones may be killers, the dark ones mild; not the wrappers but the fillers, make cigars or women wild." -Keith Preston

Murphy223

QuoteCarlosoftHUN - 8/29/2018  2:14 PM

Im having one 68% pack in a humidor for 40 cigars, and lasts about 2 months for me before "re-charging" it. That does not mean they are fully dried out, but when I feel that the edges of the pack are too "crispy" and the inner part is like a "jelly sandbag" then I take out and do as I said above... then it lasts another two months..
The packaging is getting wet a bit for that boveda, but after half day it looks like new..

So a typical Boveda pack lasts???? 4-6 months?  Trying to figure out what I might need for a 50-75ct Humidor (desktop)

Brlesq

QuoteMurphy223 - 8/29/2018  2:44 PM

Im having one 68% pack in a humidor for 40 cigars, and lasts about 2 months for me before "re-charging" it.

So a typical Boveda pack lasts???? 4-6 months?  

:confused:

:hitme:

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Murphy223

QuoteBrlesq - 8/29/2018  3:08 PM

Im having one 68% pack in a humidor for 40 cigars, and lasts about 2 months for me before "re-charging" it.

Sorry - Let me clarify - I know you said they last about 2 months before needing to be re-charged but my question is how many times can you recharge before you need to replace altogether?  Either the paper wears down or it stops performing?

Brlesq

QuoteMurphy223 - 8/29/2018  3:12 PM

QuoteBrlesq - 8/29/2018  3:08 PM

Sorry - Let me clarify - I know you said they last about 2 months before needing to be re-charged but my question is how many times can you recharge before you need to replace altogether?  Either the paper wears down or it stops performing?

Ahhh . . .  now I understand.  If you don't overcharge them to the point of the paper being "soaked", then you can get many uses out of a single one.  (Others can tell you a more exacting number.  I use KL in my humidors and only use Bovedas when I have overflow and need to stick an extra box of cigars in a bag for a month or two).
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Chefjohn

Ive become a big fan of Boveda packs. They're working well fo me. I've heard that to recharge them you can put them in a container and set a smaller container of distilled water in it. Is this better than wrapping it in moistened paper towel and have any of you recharged the 320 gram packs? This is what I have in my humidor.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

appollo

QuoteChefjohn - 8/29/2018  4:50 PM

Ive become a big fan of Boveda packs. They're working well fo me. I've heard that to recharge them you can put them in a container and set a smaller container of distilled water in it. Is this better than wrapping it in moistened paper towel and have any of you recharged the 320 gram packs? This is what I have in my humidor.
I recharge all mine the same way.just put them in a container with some distilled water in separate container.It works well for me.

Chefjohn

Quoteappollo - 8/29/2018  5:09 PM

QuoteChefjohn - 8/29/2018  4:50 PM

I recharge all mine the same way.just put them in a container with some distilled water in separate container.It works well for me.

Thanks Stephen.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

CarlosoftHUN

Mine is about a year old, recharged 3 times I think, and still working fine, also the packaging is intact... so yes Bovedas are the best...
Cigars - What else?

Zee

Love my bovedas. I have a bunch that are a few years old and still work like new.
Tobacco anyone?

Rich

klamm143

Great product.......I use 65's in all my humi's and tuppador's. Time varies from 4 months to over a year - depends on how often the unit is opened / closed.
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

nirab

The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

benchjockey

Boveda packs work great and are easy to use. No brainier for me.
You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

Valetnlv

I just switched to boveda packs yesterday. My wineador was at 72% humidity. I have only about 25cigars in it . One boveda 320 /65% pack. After 12hours it is only down to 70%. Do they take this long to work or might be a defective pack%

Valetnlv

Also the wineador is plugged in and at 66 degrees and is a 12 bottle size one. The drain hole in not covered , and I live in Las Vegas it's dry here now thanks

arrow34

QuoteCarlosoftHUN - 8/28/2018  6:30 AM

These days I use Boveda pack and beads ( humidification beads with propylene -glycol) together, and they are working just fine.

But still by the time, the Boveda starts to dry out, so then I re-humidifying it by using distilled water on a paper towel, wrap the boveda pack with it, and I put the whole thing into a zip-bag for 2-3 days.... and it is like a new one again... I do this every 2 months or so..... So other 2 Boveda I bought from Amazon is still in the box :-D

This is what I do also.  Works like a charm.  I use boveda packs and beads in my reach in humidors and active humidification in my cabinet.

Valetnlv

Does it matter what side is up and down on the 320 packs

arrow34

Nope. As far as i know it doesnt.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.