Cool Package Waiting on me...

Started by nwb, 04/01/2010 07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nwb

When I got home today, I found a package waiting for me from Steve Saka at Drew Estate:

Chief of Shaft

Ken Kelley

Nice!  What's with the Dirty Rat in the middle?
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

Jackal

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

lowpro75

That's what I'm talkin about!!! :biggrin:
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

akira

"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed - Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.'" -Jack Handy

nwb

QuoteAlphairon - 4/1/2010  8:31 PM

Nice!  What's with the Dirty Rat in the middle?

Here is little background on Steve Saka and the LP:

"Basically, the Liga Privada cigars came about as a personal blend for Drew Estate's president Steve Saka's  own smoking pleasure. This got me thinking, "why exactly, would such a great cigar that Steve holds so dearly to him be let out into the market". So I decided to ask Steve Saka personally and here is his response:

The decision to release the LP No. 9 was something I was "forced" into... When it was originally blended we had very little leaf on hand to make it, but it didn't matter as it was a cigar we were just crafting for me to smoke and we had plenty of leaf to make me a couple of thousand of special cigars.

Because it was so good, there was a lot of internal pressure from our sales guys to make it for retail sale, which I caved to with the caveat that we could only open 20 or so accounts and that we would have to slowly grow the brand, basically ten stores at time while we bought and fermented the needed leaf to make more as I was unwilling to let the consistency or quality slip in anyway. Liga Privada was and remains very personal to me.

So as we have increased our leaf stock, we have slowly increased our account base on the brand... to date we have grown the account base to some 200 or so stores. We are still limited by the very specific and tip-top quality leaf needed, but each year we buy more, which allows us to ferment and age more, and in turn make more cigars.

Same is true of T52, except we intended from nearly day one to add the blend/brand to the sales portfolio."

The Dirty Rat is a pre-production blend that wasn't going to be made for the general market.  Steve Saka sent out a number of them to various people, and the response was overwhelming.  From what I've heard, they now have some aging for a fall 2010 release.  What makes the Dirty Rat exceptional is the blend of SEVEN types of tobacco in a corona sized cigar.  Here are some stats:

Size: Corona 5×44
Wrapper: Stalk-Cut Sungrown Connecticut Valley Habano
Binder: Brazilian Mata Fina
Filler: 5 different Honduran and Nicaraguan tobaccos
Chief of Shaft

Ken Kelley

Sounds really good!  The Brazilian Mata Fina is one of my favorite maduro wrappers.
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

DonM

Very nice looking sticks! Yet another cigar to add to the list.

"The Curmudgeon"

Beegerply

Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

kylepwhalen

mountedshriner

Very cool! I also love the Mata Fina...........Exceptional Brazilian cigar! :dancing:
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

nwb

Quotekylepwhalen - 4/2/2010  12:46 AM

Friends in high places eh?

:biggrin:

No.  I actually sent a letter to Drew Estate letting them know how much I enjoyed their Liga Privadas and asking if they had any new releases coming out soon.  This is what I received as a response!  Top-notch organization in my book.

nwb
Chief of Shaft

DennisA

Very nice!!
The Liga Privada lines have been on my "must try" list for a little while.

Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.