Thompson Cigars

Started by Indy Racers, 04/05/2010 08:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indy Racers

Anyone have any opinions on their service? I placed an order on March 31st and I have no idea if it has even been processed yet. I am also getting phone calls from them wanting me to sign up for the "Cigar Club." I have only ordered form JR and Cigarbid/International and I have had no problems. Shipping has always been fast with no issues. I am concerned about Thompson and just wanted to know if I should be. I just don't have a great feeling about them so far. Anyone?  :confused:
"Sex is like pizza. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good."

mountedshriner

Their marketing is pretty aggressive, I know that. I haven't done any business with them for quite sometime other than cigar auction (which is well run IMHO). I would just call their 800 number and ask them where your order is. They have been in business for years so I wouldn't worry too much about them being around for a while longer.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

nwb

I think you'll find that most people on this forum don't care for Thompson.  With the exception of the aggravating phone calls, I haven't had any problems with them.  I've only dealt with their auctions, though.

nwb
Chief of Shaft

junglepete

I've ordered from them a couple of times lately because of some hot specials...(I am waiting on an order now) You can go to 'your account' to check the status of your order...or just call them.

I don't like that they are a little shy to reveal the sizes of cigars in their samplers and specials, and I don't like the aggressive phone calling...but for me a deal is a deal and I will put up with small stuff in order to get it....with that said, Thompson's is a fair bit higher in prices than the other leading online companies and I have only used them for the rare find of a good deal.
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

Samhain2000

Their deliveries are pretty good unless they are out of stock on an item then it can take months.

I do not order from them any longer because I recieved two different batches of cigars from Thompson that had tobaco beatles in them. You may want to isolate the cigars you get from them.
A cigar is like a gun, you never know when you'll need one.

ljlemer

The only company that ever sent me beetle-infested stale cigars was Thompson. They're a tricky bunch and I don't trust them.
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

Bob Cordell

There are several good online retailers to deal with without taking the risk, I have heard horror stories about Thompsons. I would stick with CI, JR, Famous etc...

"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

Dave S.

I've been doing business with Thompson off and on for some time, and I've never had a problem with either their service or their products.  I have six of their basic cherry wood 40 – 50 cigar humidors, several of their hygrometers, several jars of their humidifier gel, and I've bought a lot of cigars over the last 18 months from their auction site, where you can get some good deals.

On the down side, they'll phone you once they get your phone number, but they'll stop after a couple of tries if you don't respond.   Also, their non-auction prices seem a bit higher than several other vendors, and their catalog can be a little misleading.

Overall, they're not my favorite, but I still do business with them.
"There are not enough Indians in the world to defeat the Seventh Cavalry."

George Armstrong Custer

junglepete

Hmm..the comments on beetle infestation are concerning...I'll have to keep an eye out for that. Thanks!
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

smottman

I have ordered fromThompsons a few times. If the have a great deal then I would not hesitate ordering from them. They do have some very well made humidors that they sell as well. They are slow to ship-nothing like CI.

I always hesitate to order because of their high pressure tactics.
A déjà vu is usually a glitch in the Matrix. It happens when they change something.

Ken Kelley

I get the Thompson catalog.  Gives me a good laugh when I check their prices!
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

KOAB

They seem to rarely have good prices and I keep hearing people are getting beetles from them.  The phone calls and email harassment don't really seem worth the money you could possibly save.  I tend to stick to the big 4, CI, cigar.com, famous and JR.

The only thing I've wanted to buy from them is a box of Tabaco Baez Serie SF because they are on sale at $41.  I don't know how much their shipping usually runs.  Factory Direct Cigars has them for a few buck cheaper, anyone have opinions on them?

junglepete

QuoteAlphairon - 4/6/2010  9:53 PM

I get the Thompson catalog.  Gives me a good laugh when I check their prices!

Ditto  :lmao:
Guru of Frugality

MT21

I got my 1st humidor thru Thompson.  THEN they started calling me insistently.  I didn't like the house cigars that came with the humi and I started finding better prices on other web sites.  JR, Famous, CI, Bighumidor.com, Cigarplace.biz.  I don't even look at their web site any more.  :blech:
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."

Gurkha free zone.

Ken Kelley

I'll reluctantly admit that when I started to get into cigars a few years ago I looked at the Thompson site first because it was the only one I remembered.  My grandfather always had a Thompson catalog around when I was a kid and I recall looking through it.  They also have ads in several magazines I read.

Christopher62

I recently placed my first order with Thompson a few weeks ago. They had a free shipping deal going on and I ordered a seven-cigar boutique sampler. The day after I placed the order a representative called me under the guise of "verifying" my information, then tried to strong-arm me into giving a credit card number and obligating myself into some auto-ship program. (Reminded me of the Columbia House Record Club I got sucked into as a kid.) Anyway, The hard sell is about the quickest way to turn me off of something. Lastly, although my shipping was free it was sent via US Mail, so I did not see my cigars for almost ten days; with most other companies they typically ship Ground UPS and you have your cigars in about two days. Free shipping is a nice perk in these fiscally troubled times, but by the same token I don't like the thought of my cigars languishing in some post office warehouse for too long. Although in the interest of fairness and total disclosure I have smoked three of the seven cigars and all have burned true.

Good day sirs!

~Christopher

Ken Kelley

QuoteChristopher62 - 4/7/2010  8:51 AM

I recently placed my first order with Thompson a few weeks ago. They had a free shipping deal going on and I ordered a seven-cigar boutique sampler. The day after I placed the order a representative called me under the guise of "verifying" my information, then tried to strong-arm me into giving a credit card number and obligating myself into some auto-ship program. (Reminded me of the Columbia House Record Club I got sucked into as a kid.) Anyway, The hard sell is about the quickest way to turn me off of something. Lastly, although my shipping was free it was sent via US Mail, so I did not see my cigars for almost ten days; with most other companies they typically ship Ground UPS and you have your cigars in about two days. Free shipping is a nice perk in these fiscally troubled times, but by the same token I don't like the thought of my cigars languishing in some post office warehouse for too long. Although in the interest of fairness and total disclosure I have smoked three of the seven cigars and all have burned true.

Good day sirs!

Welcome Back!!!  I was just commenting the other day we hadn't seen your characteristic review comment in quite some time.  There's a whole load of new guys who haven't had the pleasure so feel free to review a good smoke in the near future.   :biggrin:

Christopher62

Thanks Ken! I am between jobs, trying to reinvent myself and facilitate a career change, so I am back in school working on a third degree. I've been smoking plenty of good cigars lately - just haven't found the time to review any of them. I have a month-long semester break coming up so I will ponder some prose and post something soon. Ah sweet nectar...

Good day sirs!

~Christopher

junglepete

QuoteChristopher62 - 4/7/2010  8:51 AM

Good day sirs!

I placed my order on the 3rd this month...and this morning I called them...they told me it shipped on the 5th...I asked for a UPS tracking number...they gave it me...I checked...I should have the package today. So, I placed an order on the Saturday of a long holiday weekend and I will recieve it on the following Wednesday...that is still 3-4 days shipping...I'm satisfied by that this time around.

However, I do not like that they do not send you a shipping/tracking confirmation. Even when I check my account details there is no tracking/shipping info. I don't get it? They are such a large company and it seems like such a small addition to the customer service that would make everybody so much happier. Those odd things about them always make me careful. It makes me think they are cheap/greedy, and cut corners. :confused:
Guru of Frugality

Cigary

I have used them in the past before ( 3 years ago ) and would not use them again even if they sent me free cigars.  Here is what they do as has been discussed from a few people already.

1.  If you order something and think it is in stock you wait and wait and then you call them thinking WTH is going on.  I was told it was on backorder and they weren't sure when it will be in.  So why did they charge my card and why was I not informed?

2.  The Cigar Club is a rip off.  I joined thinking there would be some good sticks.  All of them were crap and they charged my card 2 months worth of dues and I called them after the first month telling them I was cancelling the membership.  Guess what?  They charged me another month so I had to cancel my card and dispute the charge all at the same time.

3.  They kept calling me to try the Cigar Club after I told them how they kept charging me after I cancelled them.  Their reply,,,"Just try us one more time."  I told them I'd never buy from them again no matter what they were selling.

Beware of these guys even if you do get a decent deal.  Their marketing strategy and how they deliver product is speculative at best.

Hot Stuff x

QuoteChristopher62 - 4/6/2010 11:48 PM

Thanks Ken! I am between jobs, trying to reinvent myself and facilitate a career change, so I am back in school working on a third degree. I've been smoking plenty of good cigars lately - just haven't found the time to review any of them. I have a month-long semester break coming up so I will ponder some prose and post something soon. Ah sweet nectar...

Good day sirs!

Welcome back!  good to see you are still with us!  Missed your entertaining reviews.

LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

Dave S.

QuoteDave S. - 4/5/2010  7:43 AM

I've been doing business with Thompson off and on for some time . . . they'll phone you once they get your phone number, but they'll stop after a couple of tries if you don't respond.

Their outbound phone number is (888) 229 - 9668.  I gave them my cell phone number and didn't answer when they phoned.  After three unsuccessful attempts, they stopped phoning.
"There are not enough Indians in the world to defeat the Seventh Cavalry."

George Armstrong Custer

nwb

QuoteDave S. - 4/7/2010  11:25 AM

Their outbound phone number is (888) 229 - 9668.  I gave them my cell phone number and didn't answer when they phoned.  After three unsuccessful attempts, they stopped phoning.

They tried about 8 times with me, and I just ignored the calls.  They stopped after that.

nwb
Chief of Shaft

junglepete

So I got my cigars today, on time.

3 RP Vintage 90 Churhills
3 LFD Toros
3 COA Gold Maduro Torpedos
1 Cohiba Toro

25.00 inl. shipping...I got 2 of them

I'll bitch about a place for poor service and underhandedness, but if they have a good deal I'll throw my principles in the garbage and take a chance.

I called them before I palced my order and asked it they were in stock and got them to tell me all the sizes first.

Yes, I had to place a second call to see what was up with ship/track but got the answers I needed. I am certainly not defending Thompson's, I'd bad mouth them until the end if I get burned, but still...if they have a great deal, my cigar slutiness side will almost always prevail  :biggrin:
Guru of Frugality

mb2456

As in all things, it's your reputation that matters in business.  Thompson seems to have soured that relationship with a lot of Geeks.  I know I won't be shopping there anytime soon.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.