Cutter Recommendation

Started by Chefjohn, 06/17/2018 06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chefjohn

I currently have a cheap guillotine cutter. It cuts ok but want to get one hat cuts a bit better. Do you have any recommendations on type and brand of cutter?
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

toby2

Xikar Xi1-Xi3 i bought my son the XO with ligher kit for Christmas and he likes the cutter. i've never used that one. i have hald a dozen Xi1's and they are good cutters. i use the four way table top one many of us have as well.

DonM

I have 2 Xikar Ultra thin cutters that I use the most, followed by a Xikar V cutter on occasion

"The Curmudgeon"

Chefjohn

I'm kind of liking the sound of the Xikar XI-1. I hear a lot of folks also like V cutters. Is there any advantage of a V cutter over a guillotine or visa versa?

shakinghorizons

I like the Cuban crafters perfect cutter. I'm usually driving when I smoke, so it's easier to cut.

Chefjohn

Quoteshakinghorizons - 6/17/2018  10:57 AM

I like the Cuban crafters perfect cutter. I'm usually driving when I smoke, so it's easier to cut.

I like that one. Which size do you have?

gitfiddl

The resin CC Perfect cutter is only $10 they come with a lifetime guarantee, too.
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

gitfiddl

QuoteChefjohn - 6/17/2018  11:18 AM

I like that one. Which size do you have?

I've got the standard sized one, and I've used it on 60-ring cigars with no problem.
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

ninfiction

I have a Xikar Xi, actually have 2 but really only use one almost exclusively. 4 years and counting still cuts like a champ.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

c9belayer

I really like the kind that has a little "stop" on one side. It only allows 1/8" of the cigar foot to be cut at any one time - a handy feature for klutzes like me. Here's a sample: https://www.amazon.com/Cigar-Cutter-Cuban-Crafters-Perfect/dp/B003MAZ9YW/ (in fact this is one I've bought before.

I only wish I could find a cutter like this that can be dismantled for sharpening!
-- c9belayer

Cfickter

I have a few Xikar Xi series (Red Wave, Granite, and Beechwood)
All are great.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Camshaft83

Quoteshakinghorizons - 6/17/2018  8:57 AM

I too love my Cuban Crafters. And for 10 bucks you can't go wrong.
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

tfkirk

I agree with all these brothers but if your spending $7 to $10 on a good cigar a $10 to $50 cutter is well worth it I like all Xikar and Cuban Crafters products.
Kirk

RIP BIG KIRK, LOVE YOU AND MISS YOU, SEE YOU ON THE OTHER SIDE

yghost

Just ordered the Perfect Cutter too.
In the Xikar ranges, how is the Xi2  vs the Xi1 ?

Cfickter

All Xi Cutters feature 440C stainless steel blades with a Rockwell HRC 57 rating: they will cut a 54 ring gauge cigar in half. Depending on how much cap you cut, they will cut up to a 60 ring gauge cigar.  The differences between the Xi series is the bodies.  Xi1 are all aluminium, the Xi2 are  a lightweight, nylon-fiberglass composite and the Xi3 are some of the more exotics like carbon fibre, woods, and other metals
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Beegerply

Xikar Xi2 I've used for about 6 years now find it hard to change. Xikar has some of the best stuff for the price IMHO. :biggrin:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

yghost

Thanks! I might get a Xi2 at some point then!
As for V-cutters, any preferences between Xikar VX2 / Colibri V-Cut ?

Chefjohn

Is there any problems cutting a figurado with the Perfect Cut?

gitfiddl

Quotec9belayer - 6/17/2018  4:31 PM

I really like the kind that has a little "stop" on one side. It only allows 1/8" of the cigar foot to be cut at any one time - a handy feature for klutzes like me. Here's a sample: https://www.amazon.com/Cigar-Cutter-Cuban-Crafters-Perfect/dp/B003MAZ9YW/ (in fact this is one I've bought before.

I only wish I could find a cutter like this that can be dismantled for sharpening!

If it gets dull, just send it back to Cuban Crafters!  It's got a lifetime warranty.

c9belayer

True, but I like fixing stuff! (says the man who re-soldered a $15 toaster....)
-- c9belayer

yghost

Just got my Perfect Cutter yesterday, perfect first cut!
And they added a second cheap (plastic), but still with the backing, for the same price, nice!

wescat

These, which used to be easy to find:   https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wolf-Cigar-Cutter-Bordeaux-Plastic-2-Finger-2-Solingen-Blades-New/323275664291?hash=item4b44bb2ba3:g:wPYAAOSwpkFY41t1

Which are made by these people:   https://www.wolfertz-gmbh.com/

They make some of the Xikar blades:   http://www.xikar.com/email/2006_german.html

Famous, CI, etc, all used to sell them. I have 4, 2 with backstops. Excellent cutters, I prefer them over my Xikar, Palio, fill-in-the-blank.
The second law chases us all.
In most realms, tranquility comes from ownership.
Order ensues when everyone totes their own water.  
Stand firm, and never let the bastards grind you down.  
Life's arc is primarily charted between ones ears.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

Chefjohn

I got a Perfect Cutter and tried it out yesterday, awesome.

shakinghorizons

I have had my perfect cutter for 10+ years now and still enjoy it.

Chefjohn

It's quite the piece of hardware. I think it was a good choice. A number of the guys here turned me on to it so I felt it was a good tool, one of many to follow I'm sure.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.