What is in a Cuban cigar that makes it illegal?

Started by ghoshlili401, 07/04/2018 04:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghoshlili401

What is in a Cuban cigar that makes it illegal?

Chefjohn

Firstly, welcome to the group. It's not the cigars or their contents/ingredients that are illegal. It is illegal to purchase or sell them in the United States. This is due to the trade embargo imposed by President Kennedy in 1962. What has changed is that as of 2016 U S citizens may purchase them in other countries and bring them back with a limit of 100 cigars I believe it is as long as they are for personal consumption. That's my understanding. I'm sure some of the veterans here can shed some more light on the subject.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Otter

I get this in the store all the time... people think that President Obama lifted the embargo but the only thing that changed with regards to cigars is as ChefJohn stated you can bring a limited amount in the country for personal use. You cannot buy them in the United States from any source. If the Embargo were lifted today they would have to comply with the FDA regulations just like any other company. I don't see the Cuban government submitting samples and paying the extortion fees to the US Government to gain FDA approval. They might try to argue that their trademarks were marketed before 15 February 2007 and are then grandfathered but their trademarks are not US trademarks. In fact someone else owns several of the same names under US trademark such as General Cigar Company who owns their own Cohiba, La Gloria Cubana, etc... I don't expect President Trump to push to lift the Embargo but again even he does this won't change the FDA's effect on the import of these cigars or the legal battle for the trademarks (I'd expect General Cigar to successfully obtain a court injunction preventing the sale of a product using their US Trademarks).
R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

amigodecigars

Cuba has some world class tobacco but that doesn't always translate into good, premium cigars.  Putting different logos/bands on the same cigar has pissed-off alot of smokers.
"There are plenty of good five-cent cigars in the country. The trouble is they cost a quarter. What this country needs is a good five-cent nickel."  Franklin Pierce Adams

Otter

Quoteamigodecigars - 7/4/2018  12:10 PM

Cuba has some world class tobacco but that doesn't always translate into good, premium cigars.  Putting different logos/bands on the same cigar has pissed-off alot of smokers.

American smokers want it because its the forbidden fruit but many times now its a rotten apple - so many fakes are sold to unsuspecting tourists and even when it's the real thing their quality control sucks so you can't count on a good draw... Why work hard or show initiative when everyone makes $23 USD per month regardless of contribution/output.
R, Otter
CRA Ambassador #0264

Otter

As an interesting aside, if you haven't heard this story its worth reading... JFK like most politicians put himself first. He sent his staffer Pierre Salinger out to obtain '1,000 Petit Upmanns' on February 6, 1962, so he could have them in his hands before they he deemed them contraband. Salinger returned with 1200 cigars, at which time JFK signed the embargo.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2098064/John-F-Kennedy-bought-1-200-Cuban-cigars-hours-ordered-US-trade-embargo.html

R, Otter
CRA Ambassador #0264

Cfickter

A couple of clarifications to Otters comments. Half of Habanas SAa is owned by Altidas makers of RyJ Montecristo Upmann and others. So trademarks might be able to be grandfathered in. On another front Empresa Cubana who owns the Cubans rights to Cohiba sued General in US courts over the name. Lost in lower courts and Federal courts ruled that the lower court may not have interpreted the general exception clause under the CACR correctly. This is still an open issue.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

DonM

As previously stated, the tobacco is grown in Cuba is the problem.  Do they make some good cigars?  They sure do, followed by some mediocre cigars followed by all of the fakes that are also on the market.  

We get plenty of great cigars here in the US from DOM, NIC and HON without even touching Cubans AND you don't have to age them like you do Cubans.  But then, what do I know?

"The Curmudgeon"

nirab

The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

c9belayer

If and/or when Cuban tobacco becomes importable to the U.S. it'll mean Cuba's tobaccos will be available to those who blend cigars for the U.S. market... and won't THAT be fun! Can you imagine a cigar with a Mata Fina Brazilian wrapper, a Cameroon binder, and a bunch of Cuban viso and ligero fillers?!? The mind boggles.
-- c9belayer

Chefjohn

QuoteDonM - 7/4/2018  2:25 PM

As previously stated, the tobacco is grown in Cuba is the problem.  Do they make some good cigars?  They sure do, followed by some mediocre cigars followed by all of the fakes that are also on the market.  

We get plenty of great cigars here in the US from DOM, NIC and HON without even touching Cubans AND you don't have to age them like you do Cubans.  But then, what do I know?

I agree with You Don that there are some fine cigars produced outside of Cuba. I am a newbie to being serious about cigars and I don't know about the various companies and their licenses of brand ownership as some of the more knowledgeable members here do but I do know that the ones I've had from DOM, NOC, and HON I have enjoyed greatly.

amigodecigars

The factory in Costa Rica will buy Cuban tobaccos when Don Olman can find some that has been properly grown and processed.  Right now we believe that the best tobaccos in the world are from; Peru, Ecuador, Domincan Republic and Nicaragua.  Blending tobaccos for a premium cigar is an "art & science".
"There are plenty of good five-cent cigars in the country. The trouble is they cost a quarter. What this country needs is a good five-cent nickel."  Franklin Pierce Adams

Otter

Quoteamigodecigars - 7/4/2018  8:44 PM

The factory in Costa Rica will buy Cuban tobaccos when Don Olman can find some that has been properly grown and processed.  Right now we believe that the best tobaccos in the world are from; Peru, Ecuador, Domincan Republic and Nicaragua.  Blending tobaccos for a premium cigar is an "art & science".

:word:
R, Otter
CRA Ambassador #0264

Cfickter

Quotec9belayer - 7/4/2018  3:58 PM  If and/or when Cuban tobacco becomes importable to the U.S. it'll mean Cuba's tobaccos will be available to those who blend cigars for the U.S. market... and won't THAT be fun! Can you imagine a cigar with a Mata Fina Brazilian wrapper, a Cameroon binder, and a bunch of Cuban viso and ligero fillers?!? The mind boggles.

IMHO I don't think you will see loose tobacco sold.  If legalization does happen then all hell will break loose.  There is barely enough tobacco grown to support what they sell to now. You add the largest cigar market in the world and there is a good chance the quality will go to s**t because they will need every scrap they can find.  I wouldn't be surprised to also hear that the Cuban authorities are on the market for non-Cuban tobacco.  

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Otter

QuoteCfickter - 7/6/2018  11:11 AM

Quotec9belayer - 7/4/2018  3:58 PM  If and/or when Cuban tobacco becomes importable to the U.S. it'll mean Cuba's tobaccos will be available to those who blend cigars for the U.S. market... and won't THAT be fun! Can you imagine a cigar with a Mata Fina Brazilian wrapper, a Cameroon binder, and a bunch of Cuban viso and ligero fillers?!? The mind boggles.

IMHO I don't think you will see loose tobacco sold.  If legalization does happen then all hell will break loose.  There is barely enough tobacco grown to support what they sell to now. You add the largest cigar market in the world and there is a good chance the quality will go to s**t because they will need every scrap they can find.  I wouldn't be surprised to also hear that the Cuban authorities are on the market for non-Cuban tobacco.  

They already import Nicaraguan tobacco. My bet is Dominican as well but I have only been told about the Nicaraguan exports.
R, Otter
CRA Ambassador #0264

Cfickter

QuoteOtter - 7/6/2018  10:21 AM  

They already import Nicaraguan tobacco. My bet is Dominican as well but I have only been told about the Nicaraguan exports.

I had heard they were doing some importing but my comment was more the larger picture I'd ever legalized 

Otter

QuoteCfickter - 7/6/2018  9:15 PM

QuoteOtter - 7/6/2018  10:21 AM  

I had heard they were doing some importing but my comment was more the larger picture I'd ever legalized 

It's a valid point 100% in agreement.
R, Otter
CRA Ambassador #0264

toby2

i've always thought it was strange. the US does business with every nasty nation and nation state with few exceptions. why not Cuba?

junglepete

Being Canadian I have had plenty of cuban cigars both purchased in Canada and purchased on trips to Cuba, at least a dozen times. Here is my overall take on Cuban cigars: Quality control is a real issue. For the amount that I have smoked, the ratio of plugged or way too tighly rolled cigars is very high, especially so at their price point. The quality of consistency does not compare to non cuban cigars. Tastewise, some are great, some are average, and a few are not so great. I cannot agree more with anyone who feels that the "forbidden friut" has both lifted and kept cuban cigars high on the desirable list for that reason alone. There are so many great non cuban cigars at much better prices to be had. With that said, it sure is nice to sit back at any place in Cuba and smoke a Cuban cigar  :biggrin:

On a side note, this place is the last standing cigar maker in Canada. Cuban tobacco is still used.
http://www.correnticigars.com/index.php
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

Chefjohn

Quotejunglepete - 7/7/2018  7:32 PM

Being Canadian I have had plenty of cuban cigars both purchased in Canada and purchased on trips to Cuba, at least a dozen times. Here is my overall take on Cuban cigars: Quality control is a real issue. For the amount that I have smoked, the ratio of plugged or way too tighly rolled cigars is very high, especially so at their price point. The quality of consistency does not compare to non cuban cigars. Tastewise, some are great, some are average, and a few are not so great. I cannot agree more with anyone who feels that the "forbidden friut" has both lifted and kept cuban cigars high on the desirable list for that reason alone. There are so many great non cuban cigars at much better prices to be had. With that said, it sure is nice to sit back at any place in Cuba and smoke a Cuban cigar  :biggrin:

On a side note, this place is the last standing cigar maker in Canada. Cuban tobacco is still used.
http://www.correnticigars.com/index.php

I agree with you Pete about the concept of the  "forbidden fruit" increasing their allure. I am by no means an expert and am fairly new to premium cigars but I have had many wonderful smokes fro NIC, DOM, and HON.

frankj1

going strictly by my shaky memory, but I believe the change under Obama allowed for a total of $100 Cuban cigars and or rums. This was rolled back to pre G. W. Bush limits under Trump.

DanielStauffer

As per the ban of trading with communist countries like Cuba US made it illegal for Cuban cigars trade. It's only trading that's been banned but not consumption.
https://www.swisscubancigars.com/blog/why-are-cuban-cigars-rated-best-world/

arrow34

It is just forbidden fruit...I agree with others that they make good cigars, but quality control is so-so.  Prices are are high due to demand and the myth that cubans are the best in the world.  Are they great cigars, yes some are.  Not all.  Just because it comes from ISOM, doesnt make it automatically better.  

The amazing supply of cigars from all sources we have now is truly a golden age of cigars.  The cigar consumption stats are astounding, surpassing the high in 1998 of 330million(for the US alone in 2017).    

I just hope that the laws dont change to the point where we have to smuggle our cigars in from all sources.  Some states have already banned cigar sales to be shipped in(crazy).  Makes me want to hoard more cigars....

**stepping off soap box** :shootme:

p.s. I actually prefer domestic(nic,hon, dom) cigars to cubans, especially at the price points.  Even if the price points were equal(which they wont be) there is more flavor diversity and complexity in most domestic sticks.  With AJ, AB, Steve Saka, and many other new blenders, we have some amazing sticks at amazing prices these days.

Cfickter

The trade restrictions with Cuba have nothing to do with the US policy toward communist countries.  There are communist countries with far fewer restrictions than Cuba.
The laws surrounding the embargo against Cuba are for the most part specific to Cuba.  Arms embargo in 1958, general export embargo (except food and medicine) in 1960, extended exports 1962.  The Cuban Assets Control Regulations of 1963, the Cuban Democracy Act of 1992, the Helms–Burton Act of 1996 are focused on further strengthening trade restrictions with Cuba. Despite the existence of the embargo, the United States is the fifth-largest exporter to Cuba (6.6% of Cuba's imports come from the US). Cuba must, however, pay cash for all imports.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.