TIL I've been smoking my cigars too fast. Every. One of them. For 10 years!!

Started by Vanilla Gorilla, 07/21/2018 02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vanilla Gorilla

No joke. This changes things big time for me and I guess is the downside to not having cigar smoking friends (I do 99.9% of my smoking solo).

I went to review a cigar today. Rocky Patel Renaissance Corona. Saw another reviewer (and the guy that sold me the cigar (Appollo) write that it smoked for an hour and a half....

"WHAT"?!?! I smoked mine in about 45. MAX.

I started thinking. What if this whole time i've been doing this wrong. Rushing my smokes? Ruining flavour profiles because of fast burning, especially near the end of the cigar. This explains the shakes that i've been getting since coming back to the hobby etc. 

Wow. I am a 10 year into the hobby noob. 

I've got a black belt in being a cigar noob. Embarrassing.

Forever seaching for the perfect cigar, one puff at a time.

appollo

QuoteVanilla Gorilla - 7/21/2018  4:25 PM

No joke. This changes things big time for me and I guess is the downside to not having cigar smoking friends (I do 99.9% of my smoking solo).

I went to review a cigar today. Rocky Patel Renaissance Corona. Saw another reviewer (and the guy that sold me the cigar (Appollo) write that it smoked for an hour and a half....

"WHAT"?!?! I smoked mine in about 45. MAX.

I started thinking. What if this whole time i've been doing this wrong. Rushing my smokes? Ruining flavour profiles because of fast burning, especially near the end of the cigar. This explains the shakes that i've been getting since coming back to the hobby etc. 

Wow. I am a 10 year into the hobby noob. 

I've got a black belt in being a cigar noob. Embarrassing.

I am  slow smoker as you can tell I really take my time.I enjoy every moment.

ninfiction

I'm a really slow smoker too, 2 hours for a toro. About a puff a minute, just enough to keep it burning.

I actually find I smoke faster when I'm with other people.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

Chefjohn

I experienced some shakes and sweating from smoking a Rocky Patel to fast. Very good lesson learned.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

gitfiddl

I think it really depends on the individual cigar as to the speed.  One of my "go-to" cigars is a Partagas Black Label Bravo.  It's a nice robusto at 4.5" and 54 ring.  Sometimes it's a 40 minute cigar, sometimes an hour or more.  I can't really taste a difference.
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

klamm143

GREG....take it slow.......enjoy....also, your money goes further and does not go up in smoke...as quickly.
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

Brlesq

Join us on a google herf sometime and you won't smoke alone!  I'm sure that the conversation will slow you down.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

WatchmanUSA

Another way to tell if you are smoking too fast is you can develop Coning.  http://www.cigars4dummies.com/cigar-repair/burn-problems.html

This kind of burn issue is contrary to the tunneling and is itself a jag sticking out from the stogie's end. It is, as opposite to the tunneling, the problem of aficionados smoking too fast. Since the draws are produced too quickly, the thick filler leaves start warming and have not enough time to cool down as it should be. The filler fires the binder and the wrapper making them burning out much faster. A typical feature of this problem might detect itself making the smoking rough.
"Why pay $100 on a therapy session when you can spend $25 on a cigar? Whatever it is will come back; so what, smoke another one."  Raul Julia

Koop

I like to smoke slowly. I usually get a 90 to 130 minutes out of a toro, 50 to 75 minutes out of a robusto, depending on conditions - windy days tend to burn faster. I find that if I let it rest for a minute or two in the ashtray between puffs it burns straighter and produces more flavor.

DonM

Greg, you are not a newb, some draw more often than others.  I do as well on occasion.  There are other variables as well,  like the RH the cigar was stored.  I prefer 65% or a little lower which will burn quicker while others store cigars closer to 70% and the cigar will burn slower.  Some cigars are rolled tighter or more firm with more filler and will burn slower. Don't over think it, relax and enjoy the cigar!

"The Curmudgeon"

Cfickter

QuoteBrlesq - 7/21/2018  7:13 PM  Join us on a google herf sometime and you won't smoke alone!  I'm sure that the conversation will slow you down.

You do not have to smoke alone!

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Beegerply

I'm a slow smoker 2hrs a cigar on almost everything. Not sure way but I must say I enjoy that two hrs.  :biggrin:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

junglepete

Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

Cigary

Cadence is an average of one puff every 40 seconds....I tend to do the "puff puff long draw" which keeps the cigar lit and not go out.  Average Robusto for me is an hour and a half....Churchill is around 2 and 1 1/2.

toby2

for me some cigars have to be smoked slow and others fast. some LFD will just go out if i don't toke up and other cigar look like a hot boxed cigarette on a coffee break if i smoke too fast. i guess i let each one dictate how fast i go. time can be a factor as well. i hear Rush smokes an LFD Chisel to the nub on breaks....

Jay'D

I try to go a minute or more between puffs, but it all depends on if i have company as well.
Last name Hungry first name Always

My hobby collection | http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Jay%27D

BewareDaPenguin

QuoteBeegerply - 7/23/2018  10:29 AM

I'm a slow smoker 2hrs a cigar on almost everything. Not sure way but I must say I enjoy that two hrs.  :biggrin:

Byron knows I'm a huge chiefer lol....I smoke ultra fast, I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing or you are smoking incorrectly. I've been smoking cigars for 20 years and always been a monster smoker. I guess I'm a big guy and 1/2 way decent shape, but as long as the draw isn't coming in hot on my throat I enjoy all of the flavors and nuances most others do. I think picking up on suttle flavors and complexity comes with experience and maybe even a little "what you want and expect" a certain cigar to taste like (ie broadleaf wrappers taste like ______ mostly to me" etc. I guess cigar smoking is an individual journey and if you enjoy it then I don't personally think there's a right or wrong amount of time a cigar should last? Just my 2 cents :smoker:
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

Chefjohn

QuoteBewareDaPenguin - 7/24/2018  8:13 PM

QuoteBeegerply - 7/23/2018  10:29 AM

Byron knows I'm a huge chiefer lol....I smoke ultra fast, I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing or you are smoking incorrectly. I've been smoking cigars for 20 years and always been a monster smoker. I guess I'm a big guy and 1/2 way decent shape, but as long as the draw isn't coming in hot on my throat I enjoy all of the flavors and nuances most others do. I think picking up on suttle flavors and complexity comes with experience and maybe even a little "what you want and expect" a certain cigar to taste like (ie broadleaf wrappers taste like ______ mostly to me" etc. I guess cigar smoking is an individual journey and if you enjoy it then I don't personally think there's a right or wrong amount of time a cigar should last? Just my 2 cents :smoker:

Nicely said Adam. It is very similar in the culinary industry. Time and experience will teach you how to taste and how best discern the subtle nuances in flavors.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.