The Yin and Yang of cigar reviews

Started by DRuff, 09/24/2018 04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRuff

bstessl

But, you can't copy and paste the good info...
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

Brlesq

Agreed, there is nothing of value in "score-only" review like that to the reader.  But until recently, the author (Kyle Stogez) used to post his scoring format along with some descriptive terms of his entire smoking experience that I thought was helpful.  Maybe not formatted the traditional way that most people prefer, but perfectly acceptable IMO.  Here's an example:

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

DRuff

klamm143

Numbers only.............about like smoking a "dollar stick".............Numbers and a little Description - well now - that's a mid range to " high end yard gar"............Numbers, Description and a Pic - now you are in Padron Country.
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

Cfickter

While I agree using a straight ranking by numbers doesn't feed the masses. for the most part it is personal to the reviewer.  What is an 8 to someone is an 9 to or 7 to another, where one tastes cedar another tastes leather.

I have generally tried to be more narrative with my reviews, especially the critiques. But even the Geek critique rating system puts too much weight on items like appearance and construction while the flavor profile only accounts for 1/3. far too small IMHO

I'm not sure any system is perfect.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Silverstix

I usually use the following categories and values, along with a description in each:

Appearance: 15
Smoking Characteristics: 25
Taste: 25
Overall: 35

I may tweak this though, going back through my notes I find there are too many times when a cigar burns great and looks great but tastes like cardboard, but it ends up too close in score to say a Padron which is ugly as sin but tastes very good.

Silverstix

Maybe I'll do:

Appearance: 10
Smoking Characteristics: 20
Taste: 35
Overall: 35

kurtb718

So I realize I'm a new guy on the block here but these points only reviews are basically worthless to a newbie looking to try new cigars.
My 2 cents is that is your going to review you should put at least some effort into it. I see 4 more just showed up like this.  :confused:

Kid Montana

Quotekurtb718 - 10/1/2018  3:41 PM

So I realize I'm a new guy on the block here but these points only reviews are basically worthless to a newbie looking to try new cigars.
My 2 cents is that is your going to review you should put at least some effort into it. I see 4 more just showed up like this.  :confused:

When I PMed Kyle Stogez about it, he replied "I really don't give a s**t."  Maybe an Admin could message him and ask him to update his reviews to be a bit more descriptive, or maybe just ban him.   :confused:

I'd rather have a cigar...

bstessl

4 reviews in 6 minutes is totally legit...

Silverstix

Those reviews are completely useless lol

junglepete

"Please note that there is a minimum number of characters required (150) in order to submit a review so that your experience may provide others with some helpful information. A very brief synopsis regarding flavor, construction and burn will suffice, but feel free to be as detailed as you desire."

The above is the requirement. I will PM the member and ask him to meet it.
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

CarlosoftHUN

what I do not understand is, if someone can give detailed scoring, why he is unable to give the reasoning? I mean if  you explain why you gave low score on taste, because it was no taste, or bitter, etc, BAMM.. you are already there to give useful information.... and does not really require too much effort....
Or they are so lazy?
Cigars - What else?

"The light ones may be killers, the dark ones mild; not the wrappers but the fillers, make cigars or women wild." -Keith Preston

Chefjohn

Speaking as a person relatively new to cigars I like to see a lot of info in the review. It not only helps me as far as selection but also things to be aware of when smoking a cigar.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Deener27

QuoteCarlosoftHUN - 10/1/2018  11:51 PM

what I do not understand is, if someone can give detailed scoring, why he is unable to give the reasoning? I mean if  you explain why you gave low score on taste, because it was no taste, or bitter, etc, BAMM.. you are already there to give useful information.... and does not really require too much effort....
Or they are so lazy?

It is a points grab to try to get the $25 GC from the monthly points contest.

It is completely against the rules (the 150 word count or better writeup) and really waters down the whole rating system.

It is just disappointing because CG is held in such high regard and this just tarnishes things.

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you." The Stranger

"Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and I'm no slouch myself.

"You may run like Mays, but you hit like !@#$." ~Lou Brown in Major League

"Looks like you have El Hosel, the laterals—you know, the S-word" ~ Romeo in Tin Cup

Deener27

Quotebstessl - 10/1/2018  7:22 PM

4 reviews in 6 minutes is totally legit...

He's an amateur anyway.  I have seen you review 6 sticks in 4 minutes, smoking them one by one, all while drinking a beer and doing a podcast...and none of them had burn issues.

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you." The Stranger

"Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and I'm no slouch myself.

"You may run like Mays, but you hit like !@#$." ~Lou Brown in Major League

"Looks like you have El Hosel, the laterals—you know, the S-word" ~ Romeo in Tin Cup

PETE314

QuoteDeener27 - 10/2/2018  10:04 AM  
Quotebstessl - 10/1/2018  7:22 PM  4 reviews in 6 minutes is totally legit...
He's an amateur anyway.  I have seen you review 6 sticks in 4 minutes, smoking them one by one, all while drinking a beer and doing a podcast...and none of them had burn issues.
I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken....

What good is it to wear your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????

Adwinistrator

How would you all rate my reviews?  Any specific info I should include that I've omitted?

reviews

Silverstix

Sometimes, like today, I am posting my reviews from my weekend smokes and I will often post 2 or 3 in a day. I don't have much access to a computer on the weekends and it's too cumbersome for me to do the reviews on my phone, so I keep my notes and post them when I get in front of my computer.

bstessl

QuoteSilverstix - 10/9/2018  12:15 PM  Sometimes, like today, I am posting my reviews from my weekend smokes and I will often post 2 or 3 in a day. I don't have much access to a computer on the weekends and it's too cumbersome for me to do the reviews on my phone, so I keep my notes and post them when I get in front of my computer.

Nothing wrong with that.  It's just when somebody has a copy and paste review where they change one adjective throughout the review... Lol

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.