New Humidor and Canadian Cedar Trays

Started by cmbrose, 10/25/2018 10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmbrose

So my new humidor has had a different smell than I'm used to. I'm referring to the smell of a good desktop humidor.

I checked on the website that has the humidors for sale and it just said cedar trays. I emailed them today and found out they are Canadian cedar.

I googled cedar for use in humidors but seems like it isn't the same as spanish cedar. That the cedar has an overpowering smell to it.

So now I want to replace them with real spanish cedar.

Has anyone done this on their own, apart from ordering custom made trays?

How easy is it?

I've not really woodworked on my own but as long as I buy the right thickness that I need, it really shouldn't be too difficult, right?

Cfickter

Amazon has a few pre-made trays available at a very good price.
So does Neptune Cigar https://www.neptunecigar.com/humidors/spanish-cedar-tray-humi-tray
You will just need to make sure your humidor can fit these pre-made trays

I would also suggest Googling "Spanish cedar tray" and clicking on the images link.  It will give you a better idea of what is out there and who is selling
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

ninfiction

Exactly what Chuck said. I've got several that I purchased on Amazon, I think they come from Cheap Humidors...and I think I've ordered from both. Same trays for the same price.

They also work great in tupperdors.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

cmbrose

I'm looking to replace my rollout trays in the cabinet. So I can't buy those trays.

WatchmanUSA

Quotecmbrose - 10/25/2018  10:50 PM

So my new humidor has had a different smell than I'm used to. I'm referring to the smell of a good desktop humidor.

I checked on the website that has the humidors for sale and it just said cedar trays. I emailed them today and found out they are Canadian cedar.

I googled cedar for use in humidors but seems like it isn't the same as spanish cedar. That the cedar has an overpowering smell to it.

So now I want to replace them with real spanish cedar.

Has anyone done this on their own, apart from ordering custom made trays?

How easy is it?

I've not really woodworked on my own but as long as I buy the right thickness that I need, it really shouldn't be too difficult, right?

The important thing to note is - "The species known as Spanish Cedar, botanical name Cedrella Odorata, but don't let its name fool you. Spanish Cedar is not from Spain and quite honestly, it isn't really a cedar either. The tree is from the mahogany family, Meliaceae, a family that also counts the true Mahogany "Swietenia macrophylla", African Mahogany, Sapele and Sipo."

Just like a lot of things, just because something is listed as Spanish Cedar doesn't mean it really is what it says.  Buying from a trusted vendor who will replace product if it isn't right is important.  "Spanish Cedar" doesn't have an overpowering aroma and it is nothing like real cedar.  You also need to check if the internal humidor box is cedar or Spanish Cedar.  Changing the trays won't do much if the inside of the box is cedar.

Most of the online trays you buy have a thin veneer over a thin particle board.  At most, only the sides are Spanish Cedar but they may only be veneer over particle board.  Most new wooden humidors that are under $300 are constructed with a thin veneer over particle board.   If the trays are really 100% Spanish Cedar, they will be expensive compared to the others that are made with less Spanish Cedar.

That is why a lot of people use tupperdors and coolerdors rather than wood humidors.  They are air tight to retain humidity and you can get Spanish Cedar scraps and lay the wood inside the humidor.  You can get 1 to 2 pounds of scrap Spanish Cedar shipped to you for $20 to $30.
"Why pay $100 on a therapy session when you can spend $25 on a cigar? Whatever it is will come back; so what, smoke another one."  Raul Julia

cmbrose

The rest of the humidor is metal/plastic. Only the trays are wood. I have a friend that does woodwork so I'm going to have him help me replicate the trays I already have, but in Spanish cedar.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.