Newbie questions about storing cigars, currently winging it.

Started by Deadl0ck, 11/08/2018 05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadl0ck

Hi Folks,

As some of you may know from my inttroduction, I have recently ventured into the land of medium and long filler cigars, and having found some spare cash, I decided to load up the small table humidor I was given on loan from a friend. However, I totally overdid it on the purchase at my local tobacconist. I now have my excess in a clean, unused food container, the open container I put in a ziplock bag, then put the lid on the container, to get both an extra tight seal on the lid, and to have a second barrier of the (now closed) ziplock bag. Inside the plastic box is a small boveda bag (I had the foresight to buy one, albeit a somewhat dry one, I think) and some moistened pieces of the sides of an old shortfiller box. Moistened in the same way I've been told to take care of the humidor I got on loan, I.E. get a damp cloth, and wipe the surface of the wood so it looks damp but not wet, and then filling the element inside it with humidor liquid once, and refilling it with de-mineralized water if the humidity drops below 67&.

However, I have some questions regarding if the food container was a smart thing to do, since the plastic box obviously doesn't breathe in the same way the cedar humidor would.

I also wonder just how tightly one can and should pack their humidor / storage solution, as well as if you should leave cigars in their tube / cellophane wrapper, within the humidor.

Thanks for your help to this newbie, in advance.

appollo

Plastic containers work great,infact a lot of the geeks here use them they work better than most humi.If you can find some Spanish cedar veneer put that in with them.For humidification most geeks use Bovida paks.You put them in and forget about it and they can be recharged.My personal preference is to leave the cellophane on its helps them from getting damaged as easily.

Have fun with the hobby and make sure you get big containers,you will need them around here. :-)

Chefjohn

Quoteappollo - 11/8/2018  6:26

Have fun with the hobby and make sure you get big containers,you will need them around here. :-)

Good advice and this part is especially true.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

junglepete

Big coolers lined with spanish cedar veneer, or not, has worked great for me for almost 20 years. Less maintenance, more room, and keeps the humidity levels very steady. They get enough air exchange to breath because when you are into cigars, you are always checking, arranging, and playing with your babies enough to open the cooler quite often. Of course I keep one or two or three table top humidors in action just because it adds a nice piece of decor and class. Most humidors and coolidors work better when they are at least 3/4 full. Cellophane always stays on for me for protection unless they come without. Those without go into a table top humidor.
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

ninfiction

One other thing. I personally wouldn't the "puck", element, rectangle thing whatever is in the humidor. Those things have a high probability of leaking especially if they are attached to the inside of the top/lid of the humidor. I mean think about it, the thing is hanging upside down over you cigars and you put liquid in it.

Just get a couple more Boveda packs and place them in the humidor instead. The more you have the longer they will last...and they can be recharged with distilled water.

And just like the other guys stated, tupperware, or whatever plastic storage container is great to keep cigars in. The humidity holds better and they are cheap which leaves more money for cigars. I use Sterilite containers that have a gasket in the lid.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

Jackal

Just make sure to crack them open occasionally (at least once every month or two) to lessen the chance of mold.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Chefjohn

QuoteJackal - 11/9/2018  6:34 PM

Just make sure to crack them open occasionally (at least once every month or two) to lessen the chance of mold.[/QUOTE

Do you think just opening up to let some air in is sufficient or should I rotate?
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Jackal

QuoteChefjohn - 11/10/2018  1:44 PM

QuoteJackal - 11/9/2018  6:34 PM

Just make sure to crack them open occasionally (at least once every month or two) to lessen the chance of mold.[/QUOTE

Do you think just opening up to let some air in is sufficient or should I rotate?

Depends how tight you have them packed.  If they have some breathing room, then just opening up the container will help a lot.  If they are stacked 3 or more deep, rotate them around occasionally.  

Also, keep an eye out for powdered tobacco at the bottom  of the container and/ or pin holes in your cigars.  If you see those tell tale signs,  the beetles may be holding a concert in your cigars.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

MusicCity

I'll echo the comments about boveda. They just work and remove a lot of the effort other methods require.  Partner them with any number of plastic containers that have a good seal (I use ones from the container store) and you're golden for very little money.

Cfickter

Bovidas are great and that is what I exclusively use.  What I like is that you really cannot over do it since the packs are self regulating. Just do not mix the various RH levels in one humidor.  I like the new 320 gram packs.  They are good for up to 150 cigars in larger storage options.

Just as important spend on a good digital hygrometer.  It will pay off.  If you are a little "geekie" get something WiFi linked.
A good regular hygrometer is the Xikar rectangular about $25 on Amazon
Check out this thread on the Govee http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=51935.0 I have 2 of these and like the.  For about the same price as the Xikar you can get a Bluetooth version (assuming the discount is still available)
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

bstessl

QuoteCfickter - 11/12/2018 . A good regular hygrometer is the Xikar rectangular about $25 on Amazon Check out this thread on the Govee http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=51935.0 I have 2 of these and like the.  For about the same price as the Xikar you can get a Bluetooth version (assuming the discount is still available)

The code should still be good.  2EE2H830 on Amazon

Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

Deadl0ck

Thanks everyone for the advice!

I was told by my local tobacconist that bovedas basically run dry in about 3 months, but I've since find out, thanks to this thread, that recharging them is pretty easy. I noticed that he has several of the small ones that are dried out lying about, so I might make him an offer on those if he does think they're not usable anymore.

I'm from Europe (The Netherlands), ordering from the US is a boatload of shipping most of the time, and amazon isn't an easy option for me, due to lack of credit card, but I'm sure I can work something out, perhaps my tobacconist has a decent priced humidity reader.

I doubt I'll ever get enough cigars to fill anything exceedingly large, I don't have a lot of income, cigars are most definitely a luxury item for me, to enjoy and explore next to my pipe smoking. I'll go look for food grade air tight container of sorts that'll hold somewhere in the area of two to three gallons. I'll probably coat the outside in spray paint or something to make it more or less light proof, and see if I can get some spanish cedar to line it with, or if that fails some cedar cigar boxes, make a little compartment on each side for bovedas and a couple of platforms.

tech@lightemupgo.com

Hey Deadl0ck!
How did it go with your first large storage operation?
Just read your question and for sure want to close it.
1) Cigars can be stacked, but rather loose. If you keep them without a tube or cellophane wrapper on top each other for a longer time they might impact each other in terms of flavor.
2) Tube and cellophane wrapper can remain on.
Some more insights on my latest blog post–feel free to check it out: https://www.lightemupworld.com/blog/seasoning-a-humidor
Anyway, I guess you figured that out long time ago ;)
Cheers!
C.

Brlesq

Quotetech@lightemupgo.com - 11/26/2020  5:19 AM

Hey Deadl0ck!
How did it go with your first large storage operation?
Just read your question and for sure want to close it.
1) Cigars can be stacked, but rather loose. If you keep them without a tube or cellophane wrapper on top each other for a longer time they might impact each other in terms of flavor.
2) Tube and cellophane wrapper can remain on.
Some more insights on my latest blog post–feel free to check it out: https://www.lightemupworld.com/blog/seasoning-a-humidor
Anyway, I guess you figured that out long time ago ;)
Cheers!
C.

You're correct, IT WAS ALONG TIME AGO.  Rather than dig up 2 year old threads to spam us with your website, why don't you go to the newbie forum, introduce yourself, and tell us more about you and your website that you are peddling so hard in every post you make.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.