Thompson Auction

Started by FNA, 01/30/2008 11:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FNA

So Thompson Cigar Company, TCC, has jumped into the auction game with both feet.

They are certainly different than the other retailers' auctions.  The main difference is, as one might expect from TCC, prices are high.

They set what seemingly are ridiculous opening bids, BUT

just like their regular retail, one has to keep one's eyes open.

F'rinstance, yesterday they opened bid for a 5 pack of Don Pepin JJ salomons at $67.  In my mind, ridiculously high for an auction - but cheaper than any retail for these cigars than I could find (most places had them mid $80s, saw one place at $74)

So it was not the auction deal one might get elsewhere, but if you were in the market for these cigars, not a bad price.  (I actually was in the market for them, but auction went off at around 4:00 EST and I was busy)

A couple of weeks ago, I in fact bid on and won a 'semi-box' (20 loose cigars) of Perdomo Reserve Maduro perfectos for the opening bid of ...something between $35-40.  CI sells 5-packs (out of stock) for $33.  Not only relatively cheap, but these Perdomo "P"s are relatively hard to find.

So again, my main thrust is TCC may be mostly not worth it, but it never hurts to see what they are selling and for what.

theoldcc

Yeah.  I haven't had seen to much worth bidding on with Thompson's.  I have picked a few things but most of it hasn't been compelling enough to jump on.  Not like the prices and selections on CBid.  I bet if Thomspons had the volume of people bidding that CBid does, they could start the opening bids much lower knowing they would get bid up (like frequently happens on CBid.)

*P
"The most interesting information comes from children, for
they tell all they know and then stop." - Mark Twain
My Smokes

mhuss

I took one look at that site and turned the other way, running as fast as I could.

Sticks

Oh great another action site. I'm trying to kick the habit and I finally quit JR's site and now I am trying to get away from smokey grip of CI-bid and maybe I need to go cold turkey and now you have led me back to tool of the devil. Shame on you.  :rolleyes:  :lmao:  Thanks, I might have to take a look at it.

FNA

Time to hit a box of LVH belicoso for 30 bucks.  Still an hour to go.

FNA

You know what else is weird here?  A lot of their auctions complete after midnight, at least until 2:00am EST.

ljlemer

Quotemhuss - 1/30/2008  4:38 PM

I took one look at that site and turned the other way, running as fast as I could.

When disgusted with an online site it is not necessary to run away. You can just X it out.  But knock yourself out.
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

mistagordo

I have never bought anything from Thompson auctions.  I just haven't seen anything too tempting.  Now CBid is a different story.  5 mins on their site and i'm salivating on my keyboard as I try to decide which things I want to bid on.

Steve

ljlemer

QuoteFNA - 2/16/2008  6:47 PM

You know what else is weird here?  A lot of their auctions complete after midnight, at least until 2:00am EST.

Why is that weird? They are accommodating the West Coast.

Thomas Mann

FNA

It's weird since they are an EST company like the big three other auctions and they are the only one that does it.  Thus, it is weird  because it is not customary, not the usual thing.  While not outre, it is unusual, singular, out of synch with common custom and habit.  In a word, weird.

This is true especially in light of the fact that most seem in agreement that TCC is not a company that seems to go out of its way to accomodate any of its customers no matter which coast they live on.

Nobody thinks $30 for a box of LVH Belicoso is a good price?  Ended up selling for $29 I think.  you guys are jaded.

BlackIrish

Like others, I've found the Thompson auction site less than ideal, with an unfriendly layout and high prices.  I have found that there can be deals on the auctions for packs and samplers -- picked up a pack of 9 cigars (3 CAO Brazil Gol!, 3 La Flor Dominicana 2000 (robustos), and 3 La Gloria Cubana Wavells) plus an ok cutter for $25, and a pack of 15 cigars (5 Cohibas, 5 La Aurora 1495, and 5 LFD Double Ligeros) for $45.  Not bad deals for cigars of this quality, especially compared to what you'd pay at retail (for comparison, at CI, the 5 Cohibas would be $44, the 5 La Auroras $36, and the LFDs aren't available in 5pks).

You have to pick through a lot of crap (and a lot of it overpriced) and be patient, to be sure.  Also, be aware that if there's an auction item of premium cigars at a pretty low price, it almost always gets bumped up to the "featured auction" portion of the page very quickly, so the strategy of getting in early and setting an autobid is especially important on these.

Finally, be aware that once you buy from Thompson, they get their telemarketers after you.  I've never had this happen with any other sites, and, for me, it's a big turnoff, although others may be less sensitive to this than I am.
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

ljlemer

QuoteBlackIrish - 8/2/2008  11:30 PM

Like others, I've found the Thompson auction site less than ideal, with an unfriendly layout and high prices.  I have found that there can be deals on the auctions for packs and samplers -- picked up a pack of 9 cigars (3 CAO Brazil Gol!, 3 La Flor Dominicana 2000 (robustos), and 3 La Gloria Cubana Wavells) plus an ok cutter for $25, and a pack of 15 cigars (5 Cohibas, 5 La Aurora 1495, and 5 LFD Double Ligeros) for $45.  Not bad deals for cigars of this quality, especially compared to what you'd pay at retail (for comparison, at CI, the 5 Cohibas would be $44, the 5 La Auroras $36, and the LFDs aren't available in 5pks).

You have to pick through a lot of crap (and a lot of it overpriced) and be patient, to be sure.  Also, be aware that if there's an auction item of premium cigars at a pretty low price, it almost always gets bumped up to the "featured auction" portion of the page very quickly, so the strategy of getting in early and setting an autobid is especially important on these.

Finally, be aware that once you buy from Thompson, they get their telemarketers after you.  I've never had this happen with any other sites, and, for me, it's a big turnoff, although others may be less sensitive to this than I am.

Not only telemarketers, spam also.

Thomas Mann

BlackIrish

Yes, indeed.  Almost daily.
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

ljlemer

QuoteBlackIrish - 8/2/2008  11:51 PM

Yes, indeed.  Almost daily.

It shows their character.

Thomas Mann

texlewee

I bought a deal that included a cherrywood humidor. It arrived busted. I don't blame Thompson for that, but it did upset me when they tried to bill me 99 dollars for a replacement. The entire original package was only 40.  

SO, finally after faxing proof of delivery for the damaged one I sent back, they cleared the bill..

But, it makes me wonder...  IF I hadn't shipped on line and had access to the shipping records from months before ( did I mention that they attempted to bill me several months later)  WOuld they have still charged me 99 dollars for a humidor that I originally paid 39.95 AND included 20 smokes?

Perhaps the quality of the smokes subtracted 60 from the cost of the humidor. LOL :crazy:
" The only thing better than a good cigar is ANOTHER good cigar. "

" What a pleasant stain comes from an enemy's blood.  "

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=texlewee

Duker511

Quotetexlewee - 10/9/2008  6:26 PM

Perhaps the quality of the smokes subtracted 60 from the cost of the humidor. LOL :crazy:

In that case, they owe me at least 300 dollars for the cigars I bought from them in the past. :dancing:  :lmao:
Tim

texlewee

If those damn bugs had gotten in my GOOD cigars, I think I would have flown to their shipping site and whipped everyone's ass. Texas Style. :mad:
" The only thing better than a good cigar is ANOTHER good cigar. "

" What a pleasant stain comes from an enemy's blood.  "

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=texlewee

podman28

Even more good reasons of why I never buy anything from Thompson.

Sticks

Amen brother! With so many good cigar retailers out there why give such a horse sh#@ one any business.

bloodclot

QuoteBlackIrish - 8/2/2008  10:30 PM

...they get their telemarketers after you.  I've never had this happen with any other sites, and, for me, it's a big turnoff, although others may be less sensitive to this than I am.

A big reason why I stopped buying from them...can't take no for an answer.  I know they do it 'cuz it's their job, but man...and I know several others that don't buy for the same reason.

Of course, the wrong cigars in my next to last order...then the correct, yet severely dried out and cracking, cigars in my final order from them...had a lot to do with kicking them to the curb as well!

wescat

You can occasionally find a good deal there. I picked up a box of 2005 Camacho Liberty's a few weeks ago on their auction. Went cheaper than I thought it would, probably due to much lower traffic than CBid et al.

But in general, TCC is one of my least favorite retailers. Their catalog goes straight in the trash.
The second law chases us all.
In most realms, tranquility comes from ownership.
Order ensues when everyone totes their own water.  
Stand firm, and never let the bastards grind you down.  
Life's arc is primarily charted between ones ears.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

Dave S.

The Thompson auction site you see today is far different from the one that existed several months ago.  For instance, under the "Box Cigars" category, they have 88 items this morning on two pages.  Several months ago, they had four to five times that number on eight or nine pages.

It looks like they haven't fared well in the auction business.
"There are not enough Indians in the world to defeat the Seventh Cavalry."

George Armstrong Custer

mcdimond

QuoteFNA - 2/16/2008  3:47 PM

This might be intentional. People buy more impulsively when tired  :biggrin:
Michael

Fun Fact:
Groucho Marx suffered from insomnia, which he claimed was due to a financial loss in the stock market. When he suffered from insomnia, he used to call people up in the middle of the night and insult them. In the 1950s Groucho was invited to take a tour of the New York Stock Exchange. While in the observation booth, he grabbed the public address system handset and began singing "Lydia the Tattooed Lady". Upon hearing silence coming from the trading floor, he walked into view, was given a loud cheer by the traders, and shouted, "Gentlemen, in 1929 I lost eight hundred thousand dollars on this floor, and I intend to get my money's worth!" For fifteen minutes, he sang, danced, told jokes, and all this time, the Wall Street stock ticker was running blank.

Hot Stuff x

Quotemcdimond - 12/9/2009 2:09 AM
QuoteFNA - 2/16/2008 3:47 PM You know what else is weird here? A lot of their auctions complete after midnight, at least until 2:00am EST.
This might be intentional. People buy more impulsively when tired :biggrin:

Also more likely to be inebriated...right Bob? :lmao:

LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

cmmayo

I've gotten awesome deals on Thompson auctions. $9 5-packs of 601 BP Maduros, Lot 23, Cuesta Reys, and similar.

Have had no problems with them. Just saying...  :confused:
--Corey

I'M BACK, MF-ers!!!

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.