The Vietnam Traveling Memorial Wall

Started by DonM, 04/13/2019 12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonM

This morning I had the opportunity to visit  The Vietnam Traveling Memorial Wall, it is currently at the Bicentennial Park, Crystal River, FL.  I was paying my respects to those that gave the ultimate sacrifice for Our Country as well as those that are still with us.  I have the utmost respect for Vietnam veterans, they trained me as a young Private in my 1st duty station @ 4/9 Inf (Manchu's) Fort Wainwright, AK.  The Travelling Wall is a site to see, and had the opportunity to talk to a few Vietnam Veterans as well as some, like me, that served after Vietnam.  Once a Soldier, always a Soldier

"The Curmudgeon"

benchjockey

A friend of mine served in Vietnam and was awarded the Silver Star. He doesn't mind talking about his time there and the stories are both interesting and horrifying.
You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

headfirst

When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

klamm143

Great post.....THANKS for sharing!!!!
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

Cfickter

When I visited the original in DC for the first time I was amazed how powerful and over whelming the emotions are. In 1974 I was first eligible for the draft, my birthday was #280, in 1975 mine was #100 and they took the first 95 dates.  I am thankful for everyone who served and continues to serve.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Beegerply

I signed up in the fall 0f 74 and went active in Feb. of 75. I feel very fortunate that I did not have to go. But I'm still considered a Vietnam Era veteran. When I went to my first duty station there was a lot of guys that were coming back. I've seen the traveling wall and I have a cousin on it.     :biggrin:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

Cigary

I've had the honor of seeing this in DC a couple of times,,,,have a cousin that his name is on that wall and those who were kind enough to take a pencil and paper and then rub their names on that paper to give to me,,,,,was such a memorable moment and very very sobering to know that every name on that wall gave their lives.,,,not for politics and BS but because they had a higher calling to give to others to which this is lost on both sides of the political spectrum.

wescat

QuoteCfickter - 4/15/2019  6:53 AM

When I visited the original in DC for the first time I was amazed how powerful and over whelming the emotions are.
^^ That was my experience as well.

As a young-un, my family was stationed in Fort Knox, from '63-'69. There were GI's everywhere. I was in grade school, and I remember that when the MIA/KIA information would come out, kids would be all tore up, and soon they left school. Heavy stuff to a 8 year old.....
The second law chases us all.
In most realms, tranquility comes from ownership.
Order ensues when everyone totes their own water.  
Stand firm, and never let the bastards grind you down.  
Life's arc is primarily charted between ones ears.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

ntanner

I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

waveracer

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.