One Year After

Started by Koop, 04/24/2019 11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koop

So, I'm a year into this hobby - or has it become a lifestyle? I smoked my first cigar in 1980 when my first daughter was born. I don't remember what it was - probably a White Owl or some such. It turned my stomach - I was a cigarette smoker at the time and I probably inhaled it.

A year ago - more than 30 years later -  I discovered a Romeo y Julieta cigar left in a cigar box a friend gave me to use for odds and ends. I clipped it with my pocket knife and I puffed it and liked it. Then I bought some Macanudos and a few Rocky Patels. Over time I found I liked Connecticuts and smoked them mostly. I tried a few other types, but I tried to buy on the cheap. I tried maduros, but I bought Flor de Oliva bundles and Oliva Baptiste from Famous. They were less than desirable and I concluded that maduros were not for me.

One year later, my palate has developed. My "number one" smoke now is an E. P. Carrillo La Historia - that's right, a maduro. I also have a number of Habanos (sun grown) that I love. I smoke a Connecticut or Habano after lunch most every day and a maduro after dinner. It's wonderful how the palate develops and I'm looking forward to many more great smokes. This is great time to get into the cigar smoking scene - there are so many great cigars on offer. I'm always on the hunt for a good deal on great smokes.

DonM

Congrats on the milestone!  Your palate will continue to change as will your likes or dislikes in cigars.  It is very common and all of us have went through it to a degree

"The Curmudgeon"

Joelala

Pretty cool story. I can only imagine what you will be smoking in another year.
Joe

Cfickter

As your palate changes and refines you can develop an appreciation for other cigars but never limit your choices to what you like now, and remember to go back to things you used to like.  Your preferences should only expand.  When the Brazilia GOL! came out in the early 2000's that was my go to cigar for a long time.  I still always keep a box on hand and enjoy them.
Enjoy the journey!
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

arrow34

Nice one year report!  I have been in this hobby for the last 20 years on and off in the first few years.  We are extremely lucky with all of the cheaper amazing blends that are out there, but also my idea of cheap has gone up by a few dollars, but still.  Some of the stuff that I couldn't have gotten 5-10 years ago, blows my socks off.

gitfiddl

Congrats!   When you're looking for your next "go-to" smoke, don't get all caught up in all the "next big thing"  hoopla and miss out on and let the old standards slip by.  
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

bstessl

Great update!  Keep it up!
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

klamm143

Interesting story......thanks for sharing.
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

jagfandaddy

I was the same way for quite some time. I was a big ring smoker, but now I can only handle a 6x60 once in awhile. At the rate I smoke cigars I think I'm going to need a second job....thanks to Gitfiddl!!
"Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle."
 George Burns

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.