Strange issues with Boveda 320s

Started by tjm0831, 05/15/2019 08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjm0831

I have a 1500 count cabinet.  I've never used any humidification other than Boveda.  Because of the size, I started with 6 Boveda 320g 69RH.  That got it pretty close (the drawer was registering 67/68 and the body was registering 65/66).  But I wanted to see it get a little better, and I wanted to make sure it lasted, so I added another 6.  After that, my RH dropped.  At first it was even more substantial, but maybe it's leveling out.  Right now the drawer is 64/65 and the body is 62/63.  I have no idea why this happened.  The new packs are the same size, same RH.  Any ideas on why there was a drop?  Also, any idea why there is a differential between the drawer and the body?  There is only one drawer on top of the cabinet proper.  I'd appreciate any advice.  Thanks!

ntanner

When did you add them. It may take a couple days for things to even back out.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Koop

Temperature differential may be the reason for a slight change of RH from the drawer to the body of the humidor.

WatchmanUSA

I would call Boveda's Customer Service and talk to them about your your humidor.  I'm sure they would be happy to help you.

I did notice that you said you had a total of 6, 320 gram humidity packs in your 1500 Cigar humidor.  Them recently you added 6 more. So I think you are telling us you have 12, 320 gram packs in the humidor.  I assume all 12 are the same RH rating.

Boveda recommends that you use one 60 gram humidity pack per 25 cigars of capacity.  The 320 gram package equals 5.33, 60 gram packs.  Doing the math, you should have had 12, 320 gram packs in you humidor all along.  Using Boveda's recommendation, you have actually under humidified in your 1500 cigar humidor using only 6, 320 packs.

If this is the case, you need to season your humidor.

The easy path is just to place a call to Boveda, (952) 745-2900 Ext. 7
https://bovedainc.com/support-category/cigars/
"Why pay $100 on a therapy session when you can spend $25 on a cigar? Whatever it is will come back; so what, smoke another one."  Raul Julia

1sgjeffward

Other things to take into account:
1. Have you added a significant number of cigars lately? OR even a couple of Boxes? You can get cigars that are VERY dry and they can inhale humidity. For the boxes same thing. You get a box that is dry your humi is having to pour it out not only to the 25 cigars in the box but the box itself as well!
2. Have you checked the door of the tower itself? Sounds stupid but with my tower awhile after I first got it I noticed the top was always 4-5% lower? By accident really I was pressing on the door and noticed that the top had some give to it. So, I went to Ace Hardware and bought the good old brass flip latches and put one on the top and bottom of the door and walah problem solved there. Since that little fix not only did the top even out IT also added over a full weeks time to when I had to refill my Humidifier. A little give in that door can make a HUGE difference. When you think about it Wood+Humidity+Temperature classic formula for warping even the slightest amount. Your tower isn't SOLID Spanish Cedar just lined with it.
3. How good is the ventilation to your drawers? Once again mine all of the ventilation originally came from a 1 1/2" gap between the back of the drawer and the end of the drawer itself. There is about a 1/4" gap loose on the tops of the drawers themselves. Didn't like it so I drilled 1/4" holes in the Top and Bottom shelves that separate the drawer section. Once again better results.
4. Has your weather changed lately in any drastic ways? I live in Colorado!! About a 8-9 days ago it snowed about 90% humidity! Today it was 83 with 16% humidity. I know you think OK no biggie that OUTSIDE not inside. True but people love to open up all the windows in the house and air it out when the weather gets nice :) Had the opposite issue when I lived in Shreveport LA! There I actually had to put cups of the crystal kitty litter in my humi's to LOWER the humidity!

I know that's a ton of crap but sometimes it really is the simplest little things. Your dealing with Temp, Humidity, Humidor, Humidifier and of course the cigars! One, all or any combination of them can easily cause a 5% change. I do agree with Watchman give em a call! Hell worst case they call it a bad batch and send you some freebies :lmao:
Jeff

"Trust those who seek the truth but doubt those who say they have found it."

? André Gide

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=1sgjeffward

arrow34

I have a single door 1500-1600 capacity JC pendergast cabinet and I use a mix of beads and active misting humidifier with a fan system.  Works great.  My cabinet needed some serious seasoning when I first got it a few years ago.  Now it sits at 68-70 depending on how often I open the door.  If you reach in a fair amount or open it and fan the door, it will loose humidity pretty quickly and have a harder time recovering the rh.  I would recommend getting an active system or calling boveda as others have recommended...    

I was lucky with my cabinet, it has a built in ventilation system that has a ducting system to the bottom cabinet where the humidifier is and a fan moves the air through the duct.  Just had to rig a system, since the original humidifier system was broken.  I supplement the system with humidity beads in the winter.. being dry as hell in winter here in Michigan.

DonM

The outside or house RH will have an effect on the RH inside of your humidor.  Have you had low humidity outside lately?  I am just speculating, as I use an active humidifier, and a lb of heartfelt beads in mine.  I also use a USB fan for circulation which helps with the difference in RH top to bottom

"The Curmudgeon"

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.