3 week N00b Experiences

Started by CW Piperman, 06/11/2019 06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CW Piperman

Hi all!

At this point, I've been smoking cigars for 3 weeks, and have tried a few different sticks, all of which I enjoyed.  I enjoyed the NUB Cameroon, the NUB Conneticut, the AF Hemmingway Signature Natural, and the Asylum 13 Oblongata Maduro. I liked them all, but my faves wre the NUB Cameroon and, most favorite, the Asylum 13 Oblongata Maduro. The latter was amazingly sweet, with coffee, caramel and leather notes. I find I gravitate toward the sweetest end of tobacco (naturally sweet, not a "flavored" or "aromatic" fan), and I wondered if you have recommendations for similarly sweet, rich and full bodied sticks such as the Asylum 13?  Later tonight, I'll be trying the Asylum 13 Habano, to see what the Habano wrapper is all about.

Whatever you suggest, I'll need to check with my B&M to see if they carry them....can't get them any other way. They do carry:

Padron
Oliva
Perdomo
La Aroma de Cuba (Jose Garcia)
My Father (Flor de Las Antillas)
Aston
Drew Estate
AJ Fernandez (New World)
Arturo Fuente
Particulares Cremas (Casa Fernandez and Sindicato)

And I'm sure more that I don't know of (the above I have various sticks from).

So, in the above group or not, what can you recommend that has a very sweet, but rich and full bodied profile, and in what vitola?

Thanks!

CW

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" --J.R.R. Tolkein, #Bilbo #LOTR #TFOTR

Humidor: http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=CW+Piperman

ninfiction

Looks to me like you're off to a great start. You really can't go wrong with anything on your list. The only thing I would suggest is trying something a little more boutique. Crowned Heads, Illusione, Roma Craft, Tatuaje to name a few.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

CW Piperman

Sounds like a good plan. Thanks for the feedback. I'll check to see what my B&M has/can get in the way of boutique cigars.

CW
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" --J.R.R. Tolkein, #Bilbo #LOTR #TFOTR

Humidor: http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=CW+Piperman

ntanner

If they have the Ashton VSG in stock I would recommend giving it a try. Very good cigar in my opinion at least.
Flor de Los Antillas is also pretty tasty.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

StogieDad

I second giving Crowned Heads a whirl, but from the list you provided you should have a good start.  I like those Particulares quite well and should fit your profile.  The Padron core line in maduro would probably serve you well.  Drew Estate has some particularly good stuff, but it is according to what your B&M carries.  Herrera Esteli Nortenos are nice from them if you enjoy that maduro profile, and they should have the Undercrown line, which you could try the different wrappers to gauge the difference in your taste.

Hope that helps.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Brlesq

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

CW Piperman

Thanks for all of the great recommendations! Off again to the B&M this weekend. In the mean time, I've grabbed some more Asylum 13 maduros, and a few Arturo Fuente Anejo #50, and a Padron Anniversary 1964 Pyramide.

Cw

StogieDad

Be careful with that Anejo....may leave you wanting to stock up :biggrin:
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

arrow34

I do like the occasional sweet tabacco taste, some maduros do it and if you get a chance, grab some Sobremesa sticks also. I also got into Crowned Heads Headley Grange sticks too. NICE.  You have an amazing base to start with.  Just start branching out...  I started on waaaaaay worse sticks a few decades back.  This is an amazing time to get into cigars, you are spoiled!

CW Piperman

QuoteStogieDad - 6/14/2019  8:04 AM

Be careful with that Anejo....may leave you wanting to stock up :biggrin:

You say that like it's a bad thing........ :dancing:

CW Piperman

Quotearrow34 - 6/14/2019  8:29 AM

I do like the occasional sweet tabacco taste, some maduros do it and if you get a chance, grab some Sobremesa sticks also. I also got into Crowned Heads Headley Grange sticks too. NICE.  You have an amazing base to start with.  Just start branching out...  I started on waaaaaay worse sticks a few decades back.  This is an amazing time to get into cigars, you are spoiled!

I have a good tobacconist in town. Since I can't buy from the Internet, I can only get what they carry, but they are very good. I don't think it's a problem for me to participate in passes, tho, as I'm not buying anything out of state or online......

:-)

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.