Out of the comfort zone...

Started by PETE314, 06/14/2019 06:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PETE314

We all have favorite cigars.  But we also have our favorite profiles.  I happen to like really earthy ,barnyard, chocolatey, coffee, rich, and smooth.  So I tend to look for maduros/oscuros.  I like a lot of different cigar profiles.  But when it comes to spending money, I find myself tending to skip past those other profiles and head straight to maduros.  It is money afterall...lol  I would surmise that everyone of us would catch ourselves doing something similar with our respective profiles...But are there cigars out there that we feel are BETTER than their sister cigar with our favorite wrapper???

So here is a little exercise...

First:  What is your flavor profile?  Favorite Wrapper? 

Next:  What cigars out there are better than the counterpart that has your favorite wrapper? (Best if it is the same blend just different wrapper)

For example...I will go first...

Flavor Profile:  smooth, rich, earth, dk. chocolate, coffee

Favorite Wrapper:  Connecticut Broadleaf Maduro  or maduro/oscuro in general

Out of "My" Comfort Zone:

- Perdomo 10th Anniversary Champagne > Champagne Noir

- AJ Fernandez Man O' War Puro Authentico > Puro Authentico Maduro

- Alec Bradley Tempus > Tempus Maduro

- Arturo Fuente Hemmingway > Hemmingway Maduro

- Curivari Seleccion Privada = Seleccion Privada Maduro  ( I just can't give it a better rating...LOL...no matter how good it is...LOL)

- Oliva V Melanio > Melanio Maduro 

- AJ Fernandez Flor de las Antillas > Flor de las Antillas Maduro  

I know I will come up with more...But you get the idea...(actually it might be a decent idea for a pass...hmmm...it's a thought...go ahead and take that idea and run if you like...) 

Let's see those lists!!!

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken....

What good is it to wear your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????

Cfickter

OK Pete,

Flavor profile: Dark, coffee, chocolate, very earthy

Favorite wrapper: Either Brazilian Mata Fina, or aparicio, and the Mexican San Andres

As for out of my comfort zone

Most anything by Alec Bradley like the Tempus Maduro (except the 15 year Cellar Reserve).  I find then harsh, also the Nub maduro which I feel is a bad balance between wrapper and filler
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

arrow34

Hi Pete,

I am a bargin hunter when it comes to sticks, that doesn't mean that I don't shell the cash out for a good sticks, but I try to get the best price on good sticks.  I really enjoy getting a good deal :)  I also really like maduro, but have really been into sumatra wrapper, it is a interesting judgement call when you have the two in the same line.

Flavor Profile:  creamy, rich espresso, earth, dk. chocolate, toasted nuts
Favorite Wrapper:  Connecticut Broadleaf Maduro/San Andres Maduro  or Ecuador Sumatra

Out of "My" Comfort Zone:

- Oliva V Melanio > Melanio Maduro
- Aging Room Quattro F55  > Aging Room F55 Maduro
- Sobremesa > Mi Querida ( I feel these are a very similar cigar, just different wrapper and size)

I find more and more that I tend to be disappointed with mild cigars, even when having them as my first cigar of the day....

PETE314

Thought I would bring this out of the cellar....I think it is a good exercise...AND....I am backhandedly looking for different stuff to buy...LOL

arrow, I think we have a lot in common with our cigar selection...  I think we would both be comfortable in the others humidor....LOL  I totally agree on the Sobrmesa over the Mi Querida.

What good is it to wear your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????

Cfickter

You would think this would generate some discussion!

I can update my comments but saying my favorite new wrapper is the Aganorsa used on a few of the Case Fernandez cigars like the Signature Selection and Anniversary.  If you are looking for that bold, earthy flavor this might be the wrapper for you also

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Brlesq

QuoteCfickter - 8/8/2019  11:49 AM

You would think this would generate some discussion!

This conversation is out of my comfort zone . . .

:biggrin:

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

PETE314

QuoteBrlesq - 8/8/2019  3:11 PM  
QuoteCfickter - 8/8/2019  11:49 AM  You would think this would generate some discussion!
This conversation is out of my comfort zone . . .    :biggrin:    

Well maybe you should stop asking people to "pull my finger"

Cfickter

QuoteBrlesq - 8/8/2019  12:11 PM  
QuoteCfickter - 8/8/2019  11:49 AM  You would think this would generate some discussion!
This conversation is out of my comfort zone . . .    :biggrin:    

That's not what you said last night!

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.