"A fine cigar is the essence of life. The tobacco plant comes from the earth, from which we ourselves were created. Like ourselves, each leaf grows and is nurtured individually, acquiring its own characteristics, and is then graded, sorted, and matured according to their special abilities. As tobacco comes to its graduation in the making of cigars, as with the making of adults, some is left on the cutting room table and become ordinary, run-of-the-mill products. Some graduate into leadership and areas of responsibility, but a few achieve greatness, and even a touch of immortality." -Prince Sined Yar Maharg

Main Menu

How To Make A Wooden Ashtray?

Started by Getrit, 07/09/2019 04:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Getrit

Smoking is indeed a dirty habit. Not only is it a dirty habit as far as your health, skin, and teeth, it is also dirty for your home. Smoking around the house results in ash dust, and burn marks. Make sure you have somewhere to put your ashes to protect your home and furniture. By designing your own ashtray, you can also create an attractive tray to put your ashes, instead of using a cheap and ugly dollar store ashtray.

An ashtray is a receptacle for ash from cigarettes and cigars. Ashtrays are typically made of fire retardant material such as glass, heat-resistant plastic, pottery, metal, or stone.
The most common ashtray design is a shallow cylinder with a flat base, to rest on a table. Other ashtrays, particularly in public places, are wall-mounted, and larger than standard tabletop ashtrays due to the increased use they receive. Many ashtrays have notches at the rim, to hold cigarettes and/or a cigar. Frequently ashtrays were equipped in older large or luxury cars before later being available as dealer-installed accessory items. For example, cars such as the BMW E38 featured ashtrays and lighters installed in both rear doors.

Things You Need to Have To make Wooden Ashtray
1- 1/2 inch thick, 5 inches by 5 inch square of hardwood
2- Four, 4 1/2 inch long 1/2 inch by 1/2 pieces of hardwood
3- Wood glue
4- Sandpaper
5- Wood stain
6- Paintbrush

Make a Wooden Ashtray
Apply wood glue to the top edges of the 5 inch by 5 inch square of hardwood. Apply each of the four 1/2 inches by 1/2 inch 4 1/2 inch long border pieces onto each side of the square. Each of the border pieces should overlap onto the edge of the next side of the square. Apply a little wood glue to the end of each border piece so that they will be glued to each other. Let the glue set four hours.

Sand off any excess dried glue and any rough edges on the ashtray. Sand the wood until the entire surface is smooth.

Apply wood stain to the ashtray using a paint brush. Apply the stain in an even, back and forth motion. Let the stain dry and apply one more coat. Let the ashtray dry overnight. There are also some other methods to know how to make a wooden ashtray?

What is a smokeless ashtray?

Some important things that you should know about smokeless ashtray are:
1- The Smokeless Ashtray Helps Clear the Air of Smoke and Odors.
2- Helps reduce the threat of secondhand smoke.
3- It has a built-in fan, which literally draws in the smoke through two non-reusable carbon filtration system. It eliminates odors by passing all fumes and smoke through an active charcoal filter. Its unique design and compact powerful motor allow for maximum smoke to be consumed and is deadly quiet.
4- The Smokeless Ashtray is designed to be easily disassembled and reassemble for quick and easy installation of batteries and filters located at the rim of the unit.

Cfickter

OMG, so that is what an ashtray is?

Way to introduce yourself by telling us how dirty and unhealthy our hobby is, you won me over!
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Brlesq

I'm confused.  Are we making wooden ashtrays or smokeless ashtrays? What the hell is an "ashtray" anyway??  Wish I knew . . .

Dumb ass SPAMMER.  :kickyou:
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

StogieDad

Sweet!  I guess I will take my filthy teeth and skin out to the garage and start constructing this.....ashtray you speak of.  I can't believe no one has thought of this before.  Pure genius.

Image result for genius meme

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

c9belayer

I clicked through to the website and... well, I'm a woodworker and there's a few things wrong there. For instance, the list of recommended woods for building ashtrays includes a wood that's commonly used for pyrography (wood burning)! That is so wrong, and redwood -- the number one fire-retardant wood around -- isn't even listed!

I'll just stop there. Altogether an odd post.
-- c9belayer

Cfickter

Well I wasted a lot of money on ceramics classes
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

05Venturer

OR
You could take 1- 1/2 inch thick, 5 inches by 5 inch square of hardwood and hit the originator of this thread in the back of the head  :hityou:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

RMAN4443

Coffee can out on the deck not fashionable enough??? :whistle:
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day,
Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way...

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.