Monogamy and Cigars

Started by Fermentedleaves, 05/06/2020 12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fermentedleaves

While I have found what I like primarily in a cigar and certain brands I wonder if anyone practices monogamy with a cigar. I have heard rumors that some indivuduals only smoke one brand, forsaking all others. Anyone here like this?

Brlesq

Limiting oneself to a single brand isn't monogamous.  Some brands have dozens of individual cigar names and blends. That's more akin to limiting yourself to your wife AND all of her relatives.

Limiting yourself to a single named cigar, well that's monogamous, and probably monotonous as well.  :rolleyes:

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

arrow34

QuoteBrlesq - 5/6/2020  1:51 PM

Limiting oneself to a single brand isn't monogamous.  Some brands have dozens of individual cigar names and blends. That's more akin to limiting yourself to your wife AND all of her relatives.

Limiting yourself to a single named cigar, well that's monogamous, and probably monotonous as well.  :rolleyes:

Well said bruce.

mhuss

Yes, very well said Bruce.  In addition to that, I think you'll have a very difficult time finding someone here who smokes only one brand of cigar.  Just like almost anything else, I think trying new brands is part of the excitement of enjoying things like cigars.  I do the same thing with beer, rum, cheesesteak shops, you name it.  You never know when you're coming across your new favorite.  If you'd never try another brand, you'd never know if you like anything else.

Fermentedleaves

Yeah in hindsight I probably shouldn't of said "brand" but rather "one cigar". And I agree it would be really hard to find someone who only smokes "one cigar" in response to the other comment. However it doesn't mean it doesn't exist! I am willing to bet there is someone out there and because of that I find that possible person to have a unique perspective on things than those the polyamory view of cigars.

This search relates to something I want to write on this subject so I am digging everywhere.

arrow34

The community here might be the wrong one to ask... Like mhuss said.. I tend to rotate out cigars and get new cigars when they come out.  You would be hard pressed to find someone that only smokes his favorite cigar and nothing else....

Brlesq

Quotearrow34 - 5/6/2020  5:16 PM

The community here might be the wrong one to ask... Like mhuss said.. I tend to rotate out cigars and get new cigars when they come out.  You would be hard pressed to find someone that only smokes his favorite cigar and nothing else....

Yeah, when we've asked the proverbial questions like "If you lived on a deserted island and could only smoke 5 cigars . . . ", people here have trouble picking their top 5, let alone 1.

I am monogamous to every cigar that I begin to smoke, until it is just a stub and pile of ashes and no longer the cigar that I started. And then I'm monogamous to the next cigar in the exact same manner.  :shy:

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

StogieDad

Men weren't built to be monogamous...:lmao:
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

DRuff

I used to only smoke 2 particular cigars until the Chief Enabler, BRLESQ got me started smoking others. Now I have a ridiculous assortment. Why limit yourself?

headfirst

I ran into someone that said they only smoke OpusX.  While I'm sure they're great (I have a few I've been hoarding and not trying  :banghead: ) I couldn't help but feel like the guy is missing a lot by being snobbish about only smoking what he thought was the very best cigars had to offer.  And I have a feeling he has no idea what all is really out there, just going with an expensive well known brand name as his go-to...
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

ntanner

Variety is the spice of life. Smoking just one cigar would be not only monotonous but would lead to a bland life and nobody wants bland. :biggrin:
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Cfickter

There used to be guy at a local lounge who saaid he only smoked Joya de Monterey Excalibur No. 2s.  That is all I ever saw him smoke.
but for me there is a reason, at least for cigars, that monogamy and monotony are close!
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

klamm143

I can't stick to just one of anything - just ask my EX-WIVES!!!!!
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

jagfandaddy

While I do enjoy a few particular cigars, I would never stick to just one. You would never know if there is another you would like better
"Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle."
 George Burns

Otter

We had a customer that not only would only some one "brand" of cigar, but only one vitola in that brand - wouldn't take my advice or recommendations - to each his own!
R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

sweatsock

It only shows inflexibility. That one cigar will never be exactly the same flavor. I've seen another question that makes more sense; if you could only smoke one cigar what would It be?

junglepete

I have a friend who only smokes Flor del Todo Maduro large ring cigars. He says he likes the wide open draw with tons of smoke. He goes through a few a day. When he's in Mexico for the other half of the year, he only smokes a local Cohiba knock off.
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

Beegerply

Quotesweatsock - 5/13/2020  10:34 PM

It only shows inflexibility. That one cigar will never be exactly the same flavor. I've seen another question that makes more sense; if you could only smoke one cigar what would It be?

The one that's in my hand  :biggrin:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

ljlemer

I'm promiscuous. My smoking consists of hardly ever smoking the same cigar twice. A rare exception happened very recently. I ordered my favorite Cuban cigars, Cohibas. The reason I don't order cigars I've already smoked is because I can only review them once. My obsession is my Cigar Geeks score. I smoked 5 Genios Maduros and 5 Magicos Maduros. I'm satisfied that they were genuine. They were also a big disappointment. The flavor lacked the same tangy complexity I loved, but the biggest problem was the tight draw. I poked them numerous times with flattened paper clips. It didn't help much. I got bad smokes and no review points.
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.