Basic math

Started by tuck0411, 07/26/2020 11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tuck0411

3 1/2 stars out of 5 does not equate to 89/100 unless i'm missing something....   :confused:  :rolleyes:
Todd

"Those sticks won't smoke themselves..." -- OZZ

Brlesq

Well our 5 star scoring system isn't tied directly to basic math, so it can be interpreted different ways by different folks and confusing.  For example, do you think that a cigar getting 4 stars is only a 70?  I sure don't.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Silverstix

Could be that a 90 is where 4 stars begins....

90-95 = 4 stars to 4-1/2 stars
95-100 = 4-1/2 stars to 5 stars

Brlesq

QuoteSilverstix - 7/27/2020  9:07 AM

So this is a great example of how different people can interpret the star scoring system, and none of them are wrong.  The way I would convert my star scores to number scores would probably be as follows:

5 stars = 94-100
4.5 stars = 88-94
4 stars = 84-87
3.5 stars = 70-83 (a much bigger basket where the majority of cigars fall, i.e. an "average" cigar)
3 stars = 65-69
2.5 stars = 59-64
2 stars = 55-58
1.5 stars = 50-54
1 star = 0-49 (the biggest percentage, but if a cigar scores a 1 or a 49, its still a dog rocket and getting 1 star)
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

StogieDad

Yea it has always been kinda arbitrary so I have looked at stars just as a general idea of how someone liked it.  I don't always use a 0-100 score but I generally think of it as:

5 = 99 or 100
4.5 = 95-98
4 = 90-94
3.5 = 85-89
3 = 80-84
2.5 = 75-79
2 = 70-74
1.5 = 65-69
1 = 64 or below

Kind of like school grades for me, 5 star aced it, 4.5 was an A+, 4 is still an A, 3.5 B+ and so on.  But that is just how I see it.  But in my case, an 89 would be a 3.5, just on the cusp of an A.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

BewareDaPenguin

QuoteBrlesq - 7/27/2020  11:35 AM

QuoteSilverstix - 7/27/2020  9:07 AM

So this is a great example of how different people can interpret the star scoring system, and none of them are wrong.  The way I would convert my star scores to number scores would probably be as follows:

5 stars = 94-100
4.5 stars = 88-94
4 stars = 84-87
3.5 stars = 70-83 (a much bigger basket where the majority of cigars fall, i.e. an "average" cigar)
3 stars = 65-69
2.5 stars = 59-64
2 stars = 55-58
1.5 stars = 50-54
1 star = 0-49 (the biggest percentage, but if a cigar scores a 1 or a 49, its still a dog rocket and getting 1 star)

My "scoring" has always been pretty in-line with your thinking Bruce....
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

tuck0411

Dunno, maybe I'm just OCD about it, but using "basic math", 100 divided by 5 equals 20.  So, each star is worth 20 points.  Half a star is 10 points.  And I tend to round down (being of a conservative nature) when I rate my sticks, so if I rate a stick at 89, that's a 4 star stick, whereas if I rate it at 90, that's a 4.5 star stick.  But in no world I'm familiar with is an 89 point stick only worth 3.5 stars because 3.5 equates to the 70 - 79 range (in my basic math world).  An 89 is an easy 4 stars and nearly 4.5 stars....  

And I shouldn't be giving Druid such a hard time as I do appreciate his reviews, scoring systems aside.  I'd forgotten I started this thread last night after apparently one too many beers, until I checked into the forum just now...   :beer:
Todd

Cfickter

Unfortunately all rankings in this case are totally subjective. They are entirely based on experience of the moment and for the most part based on the very last cigar we smoked.  
The real issue I see is when you smoke a cigar from say a lesser brand, (brand names withheld) and you enjoyed it and give it 3.5 or even 4 stars, then you smoke a Padron 26 Series how can you then rank that 4.5 stars?  There are too many external influences that effect rankings
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Brlesq

Quotetuck0411 - 7/27/2020  11:46 PM

Dunno, maybe I'm just OCD about it, but using "basic math", 100 divided by 5 equals 20.  So, each star is worth 20 points.  Half a star is 10 points.  And I tend to round down (being of a conservative nature) when I rate my sticks, so if I rate a stick at 89, that's a 4 star stick, whereas if I rate it at 90, that's a 4.5 star stick.  But in no world I'm familiar with is an 89 point stick only worth 3.5 stars because 3.5 equates to the 70 - 79 range (in my basic math world).  An 89 is an easy 4 stars and nearly 4.5 stars....  

And I shouldn't be giving Druid such a hard time as I do appreciate his reviews, scoring systems aside.  I'd forgotten I started this thread last night after apparently one too many beers, until I checked into the forum just now...   :beer:

Todd, I've noticed that you always post a numeric score at the end of each review (which is quite useful), and frankly that is what I look at on your reviews, and not what star ranking you gave it because it is so subjective to each user.  When you give it a score of 80 and then 4 stars, I know (at least from my view) that its only an average cigar that would have only gotten 3.5 stars from me.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

Murphy223

Forget math for a second.   Here's a scale I use for books and just realized it can apply to cigars so added that below.

1 Star: Did not finish the book/cigar
2 Stars: Finished the book/cigar but disliked it
3 Stars: The book/cigar was fine. I have nothing particularly good or particularly bad to say about it.
4 Stars: I enjoyed the book/cigar  and would recommend it to somebody I know is interested in the genre
5 Stars: I loved the  book/cigar (or was particularly moved by it) and will recommend it to anybody

Brlesq

QuoteMurphy223 - 7/28/2020  1:10 PM

Forget math for a second.   Here's a scale I use for books and just realized it can apply to cigars so added that below.

3 Stars: The book/cigar was fine. I have nothing particularly good or particularly bad to say about it.
4 Stars: I enjoyed the book/cigar  and would recommend it to somebody I know is interested in the genre
5 Stars: I loved the  book/cigar (or was particularly moved by it) and will recommend it to anybody

Now THAT makes a lot of sense!  :thumbsup:

Bruce
Chief Enabler 

McBryde

I always thought 0 stars needed to be implemented for serious dog rockets. I mean,"Hey", would you have Given that Pineapple WO a 0 star review Bruce? LOL

E
"A man's character is told by what he does when nobody else is around."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

McBryde

QuoteMurphy223 - 7/28/2020  12:10 PM

I like the heck out of this one!

E
"A man's character is told by what he does when nobody else is around."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

ninfiction

Interesting seeing the different views of the star rankings. I rarely do reviews but I was always in the same mindset as Todd. 4 = 80, 3 = 60.

But I like some of the other views and may have to change my thinking..if I ever do another review.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

tuck0411

QuoteCfickter - 7/28/2020  6:54 AM

Unfortunately all rankings in this case are totally subjective. They are entirely based on experience of the moment and for the most part based on the very last cigar we smoked.  
The real issue I see is when you smoke a cigar from say a lesser brand, (brand names withheld) and you enjoyed it and give it 3.5 or even 4 stars, then you smoke a Padron 26 Series how can you then rank that 4.5 stars?  There are too many external influences that effect rankings

I probably will give Padron 26 4.5 stars when I finally get around to smoking one, now that you mention it.  I dunno, if a stick scores 98 or 99 based on my subjective assessment of it, I might break down and give it 5 stars.  Or I might not, if I'm feeling particularly OCD that day.  But to score a perfect 100, it would have to pretty much knock my socks off in all areas, including appearance, and I don't think I've ever given any stick max points in that category.  Every stick I've encountered has had at least a few veins or bumps or some other aspect that's caused me to deduct at least a point or two for "appearance and construction".  I've also rated sticks 25/25 for either flavor or smoking characteristics, but I don't remember rating a stick at max points in both areas, although maybe it's happened and I don't remember.  Anyway, Padron 26 Maduro will get put to the test here in a few months or so (currently 315 days in the humidor) and then we shall see....   :smoker2:
Todd

Beegerply

This is a good thread, my reviews are few and far between. But when I do one its more like Murphy223 in how I score it.   :biggrin:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

BewareDaPenguin

QuoteBeegerply - 7/29/2020  10:11 AM

This is a good thread, my reviews are few and far between. But when I do one its more like Murphy223 in how I score it.   :biggrin:

It is interesting reading how people have broke it down, cigars is very subjective like most hobbies tho, but it's cool to see some people's insight on how "they score"...cool discussion
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

c9belayer

My scale is similar to the book scale and it works great for me. It really comes down to the question: Would I pay money for this cigar? Here it is:

1 star  = It's a dog rocket
2 stars = Not good, or poor construction
3 stars = Okay, but I wouldn't buy it (again)
4 stars = Good, I would in fact buy this (again)
5 stars = Great! I'll buy a box or two!

Modifier   Half stars are given or taken depending on draw, smoke output, ash stability, and various other consistency characteristics.
-- c9belayer

Brlesq

Quotec9belayer - 7/29/2020  5:46 PM

My scale is similar to the book scale and it works great for me. It really comes down to the question: Would I pay money for this cigar? Here it is:

1 star  = It's a dog rocket
2 stars = Not good, or poor construction
3 stars = Okay, but I wouldn't buy it (again)
4 stars = Good, I would in fact buy this (again)
5 stars = Great! I'll buy a box or two!

Modifier   Half stars are given or taken depending on draw, smoke output, ash stability, and various other consistency characteristics.

I like your system but here's a question for you: You don't buy (again) cigars that you have ranked 3.5 stars?  Just curious, not judging.

For me, 3.5 stars is an average everyday cigar, good enough for a dog walk, some yard work or something else where I might be distracted often. I buy enough to keep on hand for such events, but purchase many more cigars that are 4 stars and above.  Typically I hunt for value pricing on 3.5 star cigars and I'm not paying MSRP ever.

Bruce
Chief Enabler 

MacMac

Wow!! This is a very interesting discussion. I have often used basic math to convert scores, but I like Bruce's suggestion. I think it recognizing a 100 point scale and a 5 point scale are not completely equal. The simple math comparison does not do justice to the cigar or the evaluation scores.
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.