Trump admin. bans visitors to Cuba from returning with cigars & rum

Started by amigodecigars, 09/24/2020 10:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amigodecigars

The Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) amended the Cuban Assets Control Regulations (CACR) to further implement sanctions on Cuba.  The changes now ban importing Cuba-origin tobacco and alcohol products including premium cigars and rum from visitors.

Other changes include restrictions on lodging at certain properties in Cuba owned by the Cuban government, attending or organizing professional meetings or conferences in Cuba; and participating in and organizing certain public performances, clinics, workshops, competitions, and exhibitions in Cuba.  Back in December 2014, President Barack Obama took some steps designed to improve relations between the United States and Cuba and ultimately start a process that would end the U.S. Embargo with Cuba. A lifting of the Embargo still requires an act of Congress, so while the Embargo wasn’t ended, President Obama used Executive Powers to ease some restrictions on travel and trade. This included allowing U.S. citizens to travel to Cuba under 12 authorized categories– and taking a series of steps that allowed U.S. citizens to first bring back $100 in cigars and rum from Cuba, then removing the limits entirely on bringing back any amount of Cuban cigars or rum from abroad.

Upon taking office, President Donald Trump has gradually begun to roll back many of the Obama directives. The initial rollbacks did not effect tobacco or alcohol, but has since made it more difficult to travel to Cuba compared to things under the Obama directives.

“The Cuban regime has been redirecting revenue from authorized U.S. travel for its own benefit, often at the expense of the Cuban people,” said Treasury Secretary Steven T. Mnuchin in a press release. “This Administration is committed to denying Cuba’s oppressive regime access to revenues used to fund their malign activities, both at home and abroad.”

These regulatory amendments will become effective upon publication in the Federal Register.  www.cigar-coop.com

"There are plenty of good five-cent cigars in the country. The trouble is they cost a quarter. What this country needs is a good five-cent nickel."  Franklin Pierce Adams

nirab

seems to be more about swaying certain voters in FL...a non issue being presented as an issue...not surprised, this is status quo for our current president...
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Brlesq

Quotenirab - 9/26/2020  11:31 AM

seems to be more about swaying certain voters in FL...a non issue being presented as an issue...not surprised, this is status quo for our current president...

You know I love you, brother, but let's leave the politics at the door.  Keep CG a happy place!   :-)

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

amigodecigars

Is Nicaragua facing an American embargo? An embargo that would hit the Nicaraguan cigar industry tremendously. And change the cigar industry on a never seen before level. Last week, President Trump removed the exemptions that his predecessor President Obama made on the Cuban embargo. The import from Cuban cigars, rum, and other products for personal use is prohibited again. In December 2014, President Obama exempted Cuban cigars and rum from the embargo. But only for personal consumption and hand-carried into the United States. Ordering online from abroad remained prohibited. But not even hand-carrying them in is illegal again.

OTHER COUNTRIES TO FOLLOW?[/b]

But it could be just a prelude to more. As early as November 2018, the Trump administration promised a more aggressive approach to three countries. Three countries that John Bolton called the troika of tyranny during a speech in Miami. With troika, he means Cuba, Venezuela, and Nicaragua. John Bolton was President Trumps’ national security advisor at the time. “Many of you in the audience today have personally suffered unspeakable horrors at the hands of the regimes in Cuba, Venezuela, and Nicaragua. Only to survive, fight back, conquer, and overcome. The troika of tyranny in this hemisphere – Cuba, Venezuela, and Nicaragua – has finally met its match.” he said.

In April last year, the Trump administration announced to target the finances of Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega’s regime and the Nicaraguan bank, Banco Corporativo SA (Bancorp). Bancorp is labeled ‘The Ortega slush fund’. John Bolton called out Laureano Ortega Murillo, who he said: “has been groomed as the successor by the regime and is engaged in vast corruption under the guise of leading Nicaragua’s investment agency.”  Sources in Nicaragua are telling Ministry of Cigars that in the last two to three weeks, there is an unusual amount of diplomatic activity. The United States diplomats are asking a lot of information. Everything is pointing towards some sort of action or sanctions by the American government. But what is about to happen is yet unclear. 

SPECULATION[/b]

Considering the current situation, and the heightened diplomatic activity, we expect some sanctions. Yet not a full embargo as in the President Reagan era. In 1985, President Ronald Reagan prohibited all trade between Nicaragua and the United States to undermine the Sandinista regime. President Bush lifted the embargo in 1990. From 1990 to 2006, the Sandinistas were in the opposition. In 2006, they won the election and Daniel Ortega became president. A position he held from 1979 to 1990 as well. A full-on embargo will hurt too many American businesses, in an economy that’s already under pressure from the covid-19 pandemic. Therefore we think that a full embargo is not a realistic scenario. It would also create further instability at America’s backdoor, fueling illegal immigration towards the United States.

We do expect some sanctions though. Maybe against Nicaraguan government officials, or Nicaraguan companies. Against financial institutions perhaps. It’s not a coincidence that the sanctions against Cuba are announced 6 weeks before the Presidential elections. Florida is a swing state with many immigrants from the troika of tyranny as they call it. By attacking the regimes that mistreated many of the immigrants, the Trump campaign hopes to get their support and vote. And as long as the sanctions don’t hurt Americans, he won’t lose support. And targeting a corrupt leader is always a good thing, so sanctions against Daniel Ortega are justified.   Ministryofcigars.com    Sept. 29, 2020

"There are plenty of good five-cent cigars in the country. The trouble is they cost a quarter. What this country needs is a good five-cent nickel."  Franklin Pierce Adams

05Venturer

QuoteBrlesq - 9/26/2020  12:57 PM

You know I love you, brother, but let's leave the politics at the door.  Keep CG a happy place!   :-)

Read my mind.  :thumbsup:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

nirab

I know you do... :angel:

it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289

nirab

Quote05Venturer - 9/29/2020  9:08 AM

that's an easy read!...you know I love you!!  :angel:  :biggrin:

it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

Thich Nhat Hanh

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289

Otter

Quotenirab - 9/29/2020  4:34 PM

Quote05Venturer - 9/29/2020  9:08 AM

that's an easy read!...you know I love you!!  :angel:  :biggrin:

:bigthumbs:
R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.