Boveda Question

Started by jsg660, 10/26/2020 09:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsg660

I have a 100 cigar capacity humidor that I seasoned with 2 Boveda seasoning packs. Put them in for two weeks per the instructions. I loaded it up and started with 4 size 60 72% RH packs. Directions say to use one for each 25 cigars a box can hold. I am pretty sure I have less than 100 in there, but it is completely full.
I am using the Boveda Cigar Butler and it was reading up to 71% so I took 2 packets out and it barely made a difference so now I am only using one packet for a full humidor and the RH is sticking at 70%. Boveda says use 72% for wooden desk top boxes to allow for leaks and should stay below 72%.
I have a handful of cubans in there and I am not sure that storing them at 70% is ok.

headfirst

I have wooden humidors as well and I use 69% bovedas and I typically get between 65% and 69%, which is plenty of humidification in my opinion.  I've read that you want more like 65% for cubans but others with more experience can probably speak with more authority on that.  It will depend on the humidor and how good the seal is as to how much boveda and what RH to use.  At 70% you're risking mold and general overhumidification of your cigars in my opinion.

And by the way, welcome to the forums!
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

05Venturer

I use 65 Bovedas always,  it will always vary a percent or 2. I personally always try to stay below 70.
Swap out with a couple 65's and you should be good, I have never gotten 100 in a 100 count, they would all have to be petite coronas LOL
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

jsg660

Thanks very much for the info. I am definitely going to drop down in RH. I thought it would come down by removing most of them. Even with one in there it is sticking at 70%.

arrow34

Yeah, it all matters on what RH you prefer, I usually go with 69% bovedas because of temp variance and I prefer a 65-70% RH and with my humidors, it works best.  You will have to experiment a bit, but the 72% is a bit too high.

klamm143

65 to 69 RH Bovedas in all my humi's - inside temp of cigar room is average 69 to 72 - thermostat stays at 70 to 72 the year round.
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.