HELP! IT Support - Networking

Started by shakinghorizons, 11/09/2020 10:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shakinghorizons

Pulling my hair out as this should not be so difficult!

I was attempting to install a Linksys WRT3200ACM at a friends house this weekend and failed miserably. FWIW they have TDS as an ISP. They only have one access point in their house and it is ran directly from the road in to their house via coaxial cable. They are renting a modem from TDS currently and everything is working fine. The WRT3200ACM does not have the capability to accept coaxial, so a coaxial to ethernet adapter was purchased - https://www.amazon.com/Female-Coaxial-Coupler-Adapter-Connector/dp/B07RSJFYGP/ref=asc_df_B07RSJFYGP/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=366289984963&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6650234266754782996&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028883&hvtargid=pla-814028298478&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=74356900777&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=366289984963&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6650234266754782996&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028883&hvtargid=pla-814028298478
Plugged everything in and there is no traffic across the modem (logged in to the modem to confirm). Next, purchased a MoCA adapter - https://www.amazon.com/goCoax-Adapter-2-5Gbps-Ethernet-WF-803M/dp/B07XYDG7WN/ref=sr_1_3?crid=T5JP3ZNWBKC9&dchild=1&keywords=moca+adapter&qid=1604935726&sprefix=moca+%2Cindustrial%2C177&sr=8-3 and after logging in to the MoCA adapter, there was no traffic.

I proceeded to unplug all of the new items and hooked up the rented modem and it fired right now and showed traffic. I am at a complete loss and cannot figure out for the life of me what is going on.

Assistance please!!!!

Deener27

Sounds like a job for super DRuff

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you." The Stranger

"Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and I'm no slouch myself.

"You may run like Mays, but you hit like !@#$." ~Lou Brown in Major League

"Looks like you have El Hosel, the laterals—you know, the S-word" ~ Romeo in Tin Cup

Beegerply

Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

arrow34

Just a question, did you call the cable company and register the new  modems mac?  Otherwise it cannot be provisioned and it will not work.

arrow34

I just reread what you wrote and it sounds like you unhooked the cable modem? And tried to do.just coax to ethernet adapter? You have to have a cable modem to ethernet. Is there a reason you took the cable modem out of the equation?   Why didn't you just take the ethernet and plug it into the linksys?

rstrawsb

What is the model of cable modem they are using? There should be an RG45 Ethernet cable that is currently running to the computer or switch from the cable modem. The WRT3200ACM has one internet port that should be connected to the cable modem ethernet output. That should be about all that is needed but if not then you would need to get to the WRT3200ACM admin console to do some settings. This is usually accessible via a web browser or phone app with the linksys products. Open a browser to 192.168.1.1 and login with username admin and password admin. If you get to this point and need more assistance let me know.

Okay I'm editing my post I looked up the modem and instruction https://hellotds.com/support/internet/modem-self-install-tds-provided-modem.html. They has 4 ethernet ports on the back of the cable modem. Just connect one of those to the internet port on the WRT3200ACM. That should be about all you need to do but if not you can assess the cable modem configuration on 192.168.0.1.

Good Luck,

Ron

Ron Strawsburg

"When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." Charles H. Spurgeon

arrow34

Quoterstrawsb - 11/9/2020  9:37 PM

What is the model of cable modem they are using? There should be an RG45 Ethernet cable that is currently running to the computer or switch from the cable modem. The WRT3200ACM has one internet port that should be connected to the cable modem ethernet output. That should be about all that is needed but if not then you would need to get to the WRT3200ACM admin console to do some settings. This is usually accessible via a web browser or phone app with the linksys products. Open a browser to 192.168.1.1 and login with username admin and password admin. If you get to this point and need more assistance let me know.

Okay I'm editing my post I looked up the modem and instruction https://hellotds.com/support/internet/modem-self-install-tds-provided-modem.html. They has 4 ethernet ports on the back of the cable modem. Just connect one of those to the internet port on the WRT3200ACM. That should be about all you need to do but if not you can assess the cable modem configuration on 192.168.0.1.

Good Luck,

Ron

Yeah thas what i was going to say next and why i asked why he was taking the modem out of the loop.  Maybe to stop renting?  Then they could get a cheaper cable modem from bestbuy, just as long as it support docsis 3.0 or 3.1

shakinghorizons

Quotearrow34 - 11/9/2020  5:06 PM

Just a question, did you call the cable company and register the new  modems mac?  Otherwise it cannot be provisioned and it will not work.

Typically I see traffic and then I call - I was just shocked to not see anything at all, even through the MoCA.

Quotearrow34 - 11/9/2020  6:20 PM

I just reread what you wrote and it sounds like you unhooked the cable modem? And tried to do.just coax to ethernet adapter? You have to have a cable modem to ethernet. Is there a reason you took the cable modem out of the equation?   Why didn't you just take the ethernet and plug it into the linksys?

The cable modem was taken out of the equation to stop rent. There is no ethernet plug on the cable modem - just a coaxial input and nothing out.

shakinghorizons

Quoterstrawsb - 11/9/2020  7:37 PM

Good Luck,

Ron

I will get the model of the cable modem tonight, but there is no ethernet port on it - simply just a coaxial input and power.

I have configured the WRT3200ACM to everything they have asked for, but I currently have no way for them to have internet access through the new modem.

nirab

unplug it, wait 10 seconds, and then plug it back in... :angel:  :biggrin:  :shades:  :lmao:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

arrow34

Quoteshakinghorizons - 11/10/2020  9:24 AM

Quotearrow34 - 11/9/2020  5:06 PM

Typically I see traffic and then I call - I was just shocked to not see anything at all, even through the MoCA.

Quotearrow34 - 11/9/2020  6:20 PM

The cable modem was taken out of the equation to stop rent. There is no ethernet plug on the cable modem - just a coaxial input and nothing out.

ok, so the cable modem from the cable company doesnt have an Ethernet port and just does wifi from what you are describing?  Ok, so to stop paying rent, you will have to get a replacement cable modem.  TDS requires as does other internet companies a cable modem.  https://blog.hellotds.com/modem/  

Once you have that, you have to call and have it provisioned by TDS(which usually just requires a mac address).  Plus the Ethernet cable from the back of the modem in to the linksys.  The goCoax MoCA Adapter is only for sending internet over coax from adapter to adapter.  I am pretty sure that isnt how TDS internet operates.

rstrawsb

I see, why would they manufacture a cable modem without an Ethernet port. I guess I just like wires. So you can get something like this ARRIS then return the rental.  I have one of these and it works well. I didn't check if the provider will allow it or not. 

-Ron

Ron Strawsburg

"When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." Charles H. Spurgeon

DRuff

I need to know the model number and manufacturer of the cable modem. Never heard of one without an ethernet port.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.