Acronyms in cigar reviews

Started by DRuff, 02/09/2021 08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRuff

We need a handbook of the acronyms showing up in reviews. I have no idea what some of them mean.

TIA,

Doug

Brlesq

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

The Burn Ward

VSBP = Very square box press

Cfickter

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

DRuff

The Burn Ward

Can't figure out what DRUFF stands for.

Brlesq

Bruce
Chief Enabler 

The Burn Ward

Brlesq

Bruce
Chief Enabler 

Cfickter

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

The Burn Ward

DRuff

:lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:
QuoteBrlesq - 2/9/2021  9:15 PM  LSHMSFOAIDMT

ntanner

I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Brlesq

QuoteCfickter - 2/9/2021  9:15 PM

OMG  wiff of PB&Johnson

FTFY
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

arrow34

LSHMSFOAIDMT = I had to look it up and made me seriously LOL

tuck0411

Doug's not getting much help here, so as someone who uses said acronyms, here are the ones I use and their meanings:

- PLA means pre-light aroma, aka the sniff test resulting in a whiff of... usually just tobacco, at least in my case.  As I've mentioned in various reviews, my sniffer ain't up to much so I rarely detect the aromas others get.
- PLD means pre-light draw, or how tight or open the draw is.  I think some use it to also mean the flavors they detect from sucking on an unlit cigar.  I don't use it that way as I rarely get any flavors that way.
- I think I've seen PLT used, which I believe is intended to mean pre-light taste.  See PLD above...

Todd

"Those sticks won't smoke themselves..." -- OZZ

05Venturer

Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Deener27

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you." The Stranger

"Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and I'm no slouch myself.

"You may run like Mays, but you hit like !@#$." ~Lou Brown in Major League

"Looks like you have El Hosel, the laterals—you know, the S-word" ~ Romeo in Tin Cup

DRuff

lowpro75

I still have PTSD from a few bad cigars. :biggrin:
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

Vroomp

Quotelowpro75 - 2/10/2021  3:01 PM  I still have PTSD from a few bad cigars. :biggrin:

:lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

Brlesq

Quotetuck0411 - 2/9/2021  11:04 PM

Doug's not getting much help here, so as someone who uses said acronyms, here are the ones I use and their meanings:

- PLA means pre-light aroma, aka the sniff test resulting in a whiff of... usually just tobacco, at least in my case.  As I've mentioned in various reviews, my sniffer ain't up to much so I rarely detect the aromas others get.
- PLD means pre-light draw, or how tight or open the draw is.  I think some use it to also mean the flavors they detect from sucking on an unlit cigar.  I don't use it that way as I rarely get any flavors that way.
- I think I've seen PLT used, which I believe is intended to mean pre-light taste.  See PLD above...

I don't know where you came up with these acronyms, but they are not universal and don't seem to appear in any other cigar forums that I'm on, or even a Google search for that matter (using the PLA+cigar). Only you and Druid use these for the most part. Are you in a secret club that we don't know about?    :confused:

Bruce
Chief Enabler 

tuck0411

QuoteBrlesq - 2/24/2021  6:12 AM

I don't know where you came up with these acronyms, but they are not universal and don't seem to appear in any other cigar forums that I'm on, or even a Google search for that matter (using the PLA+cigar). Only you and Druid use these for the most part. Are you in a secret club that we don't know about?    :confused:

Must be!  I got them from seeing Druid use them and assumed they were widely used.  But, this is in fact the only cigar forum I frequent, so that was indeed only an assumption and apparently not a good one...   :smoker2:
Todd

"Those sticks won't smoke themselves..." -- OZZ

Kid Montana

I'd rather have a cigar...

Brlesq

Quotetuck0411 - 2/24/2021  8:49 PM

QuoteBrlesq - 2/24/2021  6:12 AM

Must be!  I got them from seeing Druid use them and assumed they were widely used.  But, this is in fact the only cigar forum I frequent, so that was indeed only an assumption and apparently not a good one...   :smoker2:

:lmao: Thanks for that revelation, Todd.  These made up acronyms are driving at least a few people crazy. "Prelight aroma" and "prelight draw" (or "cold draw") read a whole lot better.

Bruce
Chief Enabler 

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.