Quesyions about reviews

Started by gitfiddl, 05/08/2021 12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitfiddl

Hello all!  I trust everyone is enjoying a good cigar.  I have a couple questions about reviews.

As I smoke my way through my stash, I frequently run across sticks that I have never reviewed.  Some of these cigars have extensive age on them, with some even being discontinued entirely.  While I like to earn the points for the reviews, and I always try to state the cigars' age and status if i feel it is germane, foes anyone really care what I thought about a 10 year old discontinued El Padrino Luck Lou?  I've still got several samples from my rep venture with the defunct Paso D'Leon cigar company.  Reviewable?  Yes.  Would/should those reviews have any value to anyone?  Probably not.  What do y'all think?

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

benchjockey

I'm not interested in reviews of discontinued sticks.
You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

gitfiddl

Quotebenchjockey - 5/8/2021  1:43 PM

How about cigars with significant amounts of age on them?  Cigars can change greatly with age.  Take  Vegas Gold for example.  When they are "fresh" or relatively new, maybe a couple of months, there is a very noticeable peppery hit up front/  After a couple years' rest. that upfront pepper blast is all but gone.
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

benchjockey

Quotegitfiddl - 5/8/2021  5:00 PM  
Quotebenchjockey - 5/8/2021  1:43 PM  I’m not interested in reviews of discontinued sticks.
How about cigars with significant amounts of age on them?  Cigars can change greatly with age.  Take  Vegas Gold for example.  When they are "fresh" or relatively new, maybe a couple of months, there is a very noticeable peppery hit up front/  After a couple years' rest. that upfront pepper blast is all but gone.

I’m not because I rarely age cigars multiple years. I understand that others would be interested.

You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

Adwinistrator

Quotegitfiddl - 5/8/2021  2:00 PM

Quotebenchjockey - 5/8/2021  1:43 PM

I really enjoy aged cigars, and this info is useful to me.  I say keep reviewing discontinued if you enjoy doing so, and including info about the age of a cigar is very useful to me.

Brlesq

Review them all!  Someone might have the same discontinued cigar and is looking for information on it.  If they see a review, then it might make the difference as to whether they smoke it or give it away.  I often find old cigars in my humi that I haven't smoked in 10 years and don't recall how much I liked them (or not), so your review might be helpful!
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

headfirst

I have experienced that difference between age on cigars so I do appreciate knowing the age and seeing those reviews.  Even 6 months can make a huge difference.  When someone says it's ROTT I take what they say with a grain of salt.  Sometimes you see a "this one is past its prime" type of review and that's helpful to know how old it was if I'm holding onto some of those, etc.  Besides, SOMEONE has to compete with Todd!   :biggrin:
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

appollo

I'm sure there are alot of geeks out there with discontinued sticks,I believe I am one of them.I also have a alot of old ones,I still like to read the reviews on them to give me an idea what I might be in for. agree with Gary someone has to compete with Todd. :biggrin:

gitfiddl

QuoteBrlesq - 5/8/2021  2:35 PM

Review them all!  Someone might have the same discontinued cigar and is looking for information on it.  If they see a review, then it might make the difference as to whether they smoke it or give it away.  I often find old cigars in my humi that I haven't smoked in 10 years and don't recall how much I liked them (or not), so your review might be helpful!

That's kind of what I was thinking,  For instance, this morning I smoked a Punch Bareknuckle that I'd had since 2014.  It was far more refined and smoother than I remember them being when I first got them.

Brlesq

Quotegitfiddl - 5/8/2021  3:29 PM

QuoteBrlesq - 5/8/2021  2:35 PM

That's kind of what I was thinking,  For instance, this morning I smoked a Punch Bareknuckle that I'd had since 2014.  It was far more refined and smoother than I remember them being when I first got them.

Exactly! That is the kind of info that is useful. Some cigars are just OK when fairly new, and get better with age. Others might lose flavor and strength over time.  Good topic!
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

tuck0411

Quoteappollo - 5/8/2021  11:55 AM

I'm sure there are alot of geeks out there with discontinued sticks,I believe I am one of them.I also have a alot of old ones,I still like to read the reviews on them to give me an idea what I might be in for. agree with Gary someone has to compete with Todd. :biggrin:

Ha!  Well, I'm just trying to compete with Larry.  Although, he doesn't seem to be as active here as he used to be, so he may lose his #1 spot in the review rankings at some point if he doesn't pick up the pace...   :smoker2:
Todd

"Those sticks won't smoke themselves..." -- OZZ

junglepete

I like reading reviews of all cigars, I just don't review them as much as I used to unless they are very good or very bad or perhaps never reviewed here before. Keep on reviewing Dave  :biggrin:
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

Vroomp

I have a bunch of discontinued cigars~! :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

nirab

smoke em and review em...why the heck not?!?!? :biggrin:  :bigthumbs:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.