Nicaraguan Tobacco

Started by junglepete, 06/11/2022 10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

junglepete

From the Fletcher Cigar Company:

"There are four major tobacco growing regions in Nicaragua: Esteli, Jalapa, Condega and Ometepe. Each of these regions possess different soil and climatic conditions, which imbue its tobacco with a variety of characteristics.

Esteli is where most of the Nicaraguan tobacco manufacturers are located. The Esteli region has hard black soil that gets a lot of sunlight during the growing season. The soil tends to yield a heavy, full-flavored tobacco leaf with a taste that's extremely hearty. The tobacco from this region is dark and rich with full aromas, body, and strength. At times, it can produce a very spicy tobacco.

Jalapa is located  at the bottom of a mountain range. Jalapa's fertile soil produces a very smooth, creamy, and sweet tobacco. While some tobacco grown in Jalapa can be full bodied, most of it tends to be more on the mild side. A lot of beautiful wrappers are produced in Jalapa.

Condega valley is north of Esteli. The soil is rocky, and tobacco from this region is mostly sun grown, yielding a thinner leaf. While much of the tobacco grown in the Condega region is considered filler, it does produce a small amount of rich-colored tobaccos that are excellent for wrappers. Tobacco grown in this area tends to be full-bodied and earthy, with a balance of sweet and spicy.

Ometepe is a volcanic island located in Lake Nicaragua. On this island, soil is exceptionally fertile, allowing for the ideal conditions to grow tobacco. The nutrient rich volcanic soil is known to give the tobacco a sweet, earthy taste. A one-of-a-kind soil and climate that produces unique high-quality tobacco."
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

Beegerply

Thanks for sharing that Pete.  :biggrin:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

ntanner

I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

benchjockey

Interesting info. Thanks Pete.
You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

tfkirk

Kirk

RIP BIG KIRK, LOVE YOU AND MISS YOU, SEE YOU ON THE OTHER SIDE

cibolodave

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.