Any experience with Famous Cigar Auctioneer?

Started by PA.pierced2010, 07/01/2010 01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PA.pierced2010

I am relatively new to cigars and have placed a couple of orders with Famous.  I have been pleased with service and shipping.  I see they have a Cigar auctioneer site that seems to offer many of the same brands.  Previous auctions have closed well below their retail price, so it looks like a good deal.
Interested in hearing experiences and how cigar auctioneer compares to Cigar Bid and others.
Thanks  :-)
"The difference between a man and his valet: they both smoke the same cigars, but only one pays for them"
Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

Jackal

I have used them.  Never had any problems with them or with Famous at all.  I think as far as customer service goes they are the best company out there, followed by CI.

I don't think that they have as many auctions as Cigar Bid.  However, Famous reps certain brands that I like and that will often be on auction (especially La Aurora, Ashton, and LFD).

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

ROTHNH

I agree with Jason.  Famous's auctions are a pleasure to use and they offer some very good deals, especially if you like Famous's house brands and some premium brands that are hard to find and even harder to catch at a good price elsewhere on line (such as Kristoff, Vengence, Kinky Friedman, etc. and certain accessories, such as ashtrays, wallets, air purifiers and more).

As with all auction sites, if you know your prices, you can snag some bargains @ Famous's Cigar Auctioneer.

Bob Cordell

Never did the auction thing but Famous has always been good as far as I can tell.
"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

Brlesq

QuoteROTHNH - 7/1/2010  3:06 PM

I agree with Jason.  Famous's auctions are a pleasure to use and they offer some very good deals, especially if you like Famous's house brands and some premium brands that are hard to find and even harder to catch at a good price elsewhere on line (such as Kristoff, Vengence, Kinky Friedman, etc. and certain accessories, such as ashtrays, wallets, air purifiers and more).

As with all auction sites, if you know your prices, you can snag some bargains @ Famous's Cigar Auctioneer.

I agree with both CG's above.  And Rich makes a good point...the tools available at Famous auctions are MUCH better to use.  You can look for future auctions not yet open, review past auctions to see what the high bid might have been and, once you add an item to your "Watch List", they send you an email EVERY time that item comes up for years to come.  You just flag your favorites, and when you know its getting close to the time you might need to restock that cigar, you just log on and see if it is up for bid or when it is going up for bid.  (Although I like C-Bid too, I hate that my Watch List expires with each particular auction so that I have to go look for that item again the next time I want to see if its available for bidding.)
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

NES Tek

I like their site a lot. I've never bought anything, but Akira has bought a few boxes from them with great results.
"A good cigar is like tasting a good wine: you smell it, you taste it, you look at it, you feel it - you can even hear it. It satisfies all the senses." - Anonymous

"You play five years in a Jimmy Buffett cover band and see what your freakin' wardrobe looks like, butthole!" - gitfiddl

Dave S.

I've had good experiences with Famous and their auction.
"There are not enough Indians in the world to defeat the Seventh Cavalry."

George Armstrong Custer

akira

"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed - Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.'" -Jack Handy

BlackIrish

QuoteBRLESQ - 7/1/2010  3:29 PM

QuoteROTHNH - 7/1/2010  3:06 PM

I agree with both CG's above.  And Rich makes a good point...the tools available at Famous auctions are MUCH better to use.  You can look for future auctions not yet open, review past auctions to see what the high bid might have been and, once you add an item to your "Watch List", they send you an email EVERY time that item comes up for years to come.  You just flag your favorites, and when you know its getting close to the time you might need to restock that cigar, you just log on and see if it is up for bid or when it is going up for bid.  (Although I like C-Bid too, I hate that my Watch List expires with each particular auction so that I have to go look for that item again the next time I want to see if its available for bidding.)

:word:
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

DonM

I agree with most comments about Famous, I have bought a few boxes from them lately.  The only thing you need to watch is on the upcoming auctions, I was waiting on a box of San Cristobal for an upcoming auction on the 24th of June, they never hit auction :mad:

"The Curmudgeon"

DocJazzRH

QuoteDave S. - 7/1/2010  12:46 PM

I've had good experiences with Famous and their auction.

DITTO   :-)
Rich ()=iii=<

Delusions of grandeur make me feel a lot better about myself .. J. Wagner

At least a bad conscience can make life interesting -- Kierkegaard

mountedshriner

QuoteJackal - 7/1/2010  11:56 AM

I have used them.  Never had any problems with them or with Famous at all.  I think as far as customer service goes they are the best company out there, followed by CI.

I don't think that they have as many auctions as Cigar Bid.  However, Famous reps certain brands that I like and that will often be on auction (especially La Aurora, Ashton, and LFD).

:word:
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

dwig

I used them once & it was smoooooooth!
No problems. :-)

I wonder if clouds ever look down on us and say:  Hey look.  That one is shaped like an idiot!"

Cigary

Bid with confidence at Famous.  I use CBID as well but sometimes Famous does beat them and I usually go back and forth and will bid on where I get the better deal.  I like how Famous is set up as well...easier to navigate and look for cigars that CBID doesn't sell.  As with any cigar research what you like and get a realistic pricing on them and use CHIMP to scout previous pricing as well.  Be informed and educated or risk losing your shirt.

Brlesq

QuoteCigary - 7/1/2010  10:07 PM

Bid with confidence at Famous.  I use CBID as well but sometimes Famous does beat them and I usually go back and forth and will bid on where I get the better deal.  I like how Famous is set up as well...easier to navigate and look for cigars that CBID doesn't sell.  As with any cigar research what you like and get a realistic pricing on them and use CHIMP to scout previous pricing as well.  Be informed and educated or risk losing your shirt.

To my knowledge, CHIMP stopped updating on 4-19-09, so pricing is over a year old.  Maybe I have an old outdated link?
 http://www.c-h-i-m-p.com/

Anybody know?     :confused:
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Ken Kelley

I make an occasional buy on the Cigar Monster (great deal on Camacho Triple maduros once in awhile) and they sell Punch Rothschild oscuros by the 25 pack instead of the 50 pack so I've always been pleased with Famous.
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

PA.pierced2010

Thanks for the feedback. Cigar Auctioneer looks like fun!  I'll just need to contrain myself.  :shades:
"The difference between a man and his valet: they both smoke the same cigars, but only one pays for them"
Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

Ken Kelley

QuotePA.pierced2010 - 7/2/2010  2:04 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Cigar Auctioneer looks like fun!  I'll just need to contrain myself.  :shades:

Heh!  You're on the wrong forum for self-constraint!
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

bklein128

I've bought from Famous Auctioneer a few times now.  They offer a decent selection.  You can also consolidate multiple orders to save on shipping.  They also keep your past winning auctions on file so you can go back and look at what you won and how much was paid for it

nwb

QuoteBrlesq - 7/2/2010  8:23 AM

QuoteCigary - 7/1/2010  10:07 PM

To my knowledge, CHIMP stopped updating on 4-19-09, so pricing is over a year old.  Maybe I have an old outdated link?
 http://www.c-h-i-m-p.com/

Anybody know?     :confused:

It hasn't been updated since then, which stinks since it was such a great tool.  However, it is completely outdated at this point.  :-(
Chief of Shaft

nwb

I actually watch the auctions at Famous more than any other site.  There are some exceptional deals if you are patient....
Chief of Shaft

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.