Cigar Pass Etiquette

Started by Jackal, 07/20/2010 12:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackal

There have recently been a number of incidents in various passes, Unlimited Pass Without End, Karma, Full Power Pass, Summer Free For All, and some others, that have been brought to my attention (which in itself is interesting, since I am not an administrator) by a number of our geeks.  I have also had a few highly colorful rants of my own about things that have happened.

Therefore, I have written an article for the site on cigar pass etiquette.  I encourage everyone who is, has been, or ever thinks about being in a pass to read it.  It goes over some simple things about passes that seem to get forgotten.

I am sure that most of the issues that have arisen recently have not been due to malfeasance by our members.  I think they have been due to just not thinking or not applying the golden rule of doing unto others as you would like done unto you.  The geeks are a great group of people, and the passes are lots of fun, but they are becoming sources of frustration to many of our members because of a few people who are just aren't thinking about their actions.

Remember, with great passes come great responsibility.   :cigarman:

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

nwb

Good article, Jackal  :bigthumbs:
Chief of Shaft

DonM

I agree as well.  What you wrote was pretty much common sense but does spell it out.  My concern is if someone is bringing an issue up to you but not the individual or individuals concerned then there will continue to be an issue

"The Curmudgeon"

lowpro75

I will include the link in future passes.  I especially like the point that 3 four dollar cigars do not equal a 12 dollar cigar.   :bigthumbs:
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

Bob Cordell

I've seen the less than golden rule of "do unto others....then split" applied before!

:mad:
"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

BlackIrish

Thanks, Jason, for taking the time to write the article.  I have only a few minor thoughts to add.

First:  as a participant you should *always* err on the side of generosity.  The cigar that you're putting should always be clearly a fair trade for the one you're taking.  If you have any doubt, PM the moderator.

Second:  Jason has shown some restraint by posting this article rather than taking the issue up with the individual(s) involved.  IMHO, it's appropriate for a moderator to let a participant know -- privately, and politely -- that his/her contributions to a pass fell a bit short.  

(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

nwb

QuoteBlackIrish - 7/20/2010  8:45 AM

Second:  Jason has shown some restraint by posting this article rather than taking the issue up with the individual(s) involved.  IMHO, it's appropriate for a moderator to let a participant know -- privately, and politely -- that his/her contributions to a pass fell a bit short.  

Completely agree.
Chief of Shaft

rkarkada

Hey Jason, Great article.

Bob Cordell

Oh, you forgot no Rockys and ACIDs!

lowpro75

QuoteBob Cordell - 7/20/2010  8:51 AM

I don't know Bob, I've been smoking some RP's lately and found some of them to be pretty good.  That RP Edge Sumatra was delicious!
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

NES Tek

QuoteBob Cordell - 7/20/2010  5:51 AM

:lmao:
"A good cigar is like tasting a good wine: you smell it, you taste it, you look at it, you feel it - you can even hear it. It satisfies all the senses." - Anonymous

"You play five years in a Jimmy Buffett cover band and see what your freakin' wardrobe looks like, butthole!" - gitfiddl

NES Tek

Very good article Jason!
 :bigthumbs:
"A good cigar is like tasting a good wine: you smell it, you taste it, you look at it, you feel it - you can even hear it. It satisfies all the senses." - Anonymous

"You play five years in a Jimmy Buffett cover band and see what your freakin' wardrobe looks like, butthole!" - gitfiddl

junglepete

Thanks, Jason, for taking the time to write the article.  I have only a few minor thoughts to add.

First:  as a participant you should *always* err on the side of generosity.  The cigar that you're putting should always be clearly a fair trade for the one you're taking.  If you have any doubt, PM the moderator.

Good points all around. I would also encourage the Pass Host to address issues privately and politely as they arise. Polite assertive host behavior can make a big difference in a pass too.
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

lowpro75

Quotejunglepete - 7/20/2010  9:37 AM

Good points all around. I would also encourage the Pass Host to address issues privately and politely as they arise. Polite assertive host behavior can make a big difference in a pass too.

I enjoy passive aggressive vague insults posted on the forum.   :biggrin:
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

nwb

Quotelowpro75 - 7/20/2010  9:52 AM

I enjoy passive aggressive vague insults posted on the forum.   :biggrin:

:biggrin:
Chief of Shaft

Bob Cordell

bklein128

Good points.  Seems like it would be common sense but not everyone subscribes to that thought.  I haven't had the opportunity to participate in a pass yet but hopefully will in the near future.  Will definitely make sure I use good judgement when taking/putting cigars.

Hound10

looks good! Could add: If a Canadian is involved, it honestly may take two weeks for the package to arrive at the next destination....he's not necessarily sketchy....but still may be.
"Smoking is one of the leading causes of statistics"

nwb

QuoteHound10 - 7/20/2010  10:48 AM

looks good! Could add: If a Canadian is involved, it honestly may take two weeks for the package to arrive at the next destination....he's not necessarily sketchy....but still may be.

I think all Canadians are sketchy....

:biggrin:
Chief of Shaft

Hot Stuff x

I think you covered most of the main issues, although there is probably more to say.  Not sure if you can edit the article, but perhaps you could add to it later if you think of any other issues that need to be addressed.
LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

lowpro75

I went back throught this thread:  
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=4762.0

I think Jackal covered all the points we talked about.  As other issues come up we that are important Jackal can add as he sees fit.
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

Dave S.

"There are not enough Indians in the world to defeat the Seventh Cavalry."

George Armstrong Custer

CigarBruin

"Success is peace of mind, which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming." -- Coach John Wooden

cmmayo

Thanks for the primer!
--Corey

I'M BACK, MF-ers!!!

lowpro75

Quotecmmayo - 7/20/2010  11:31 AM

Thanks for the primer!

You need it the most.  

Is what I would say as an example of a passive aggressive vague insult posted on the forum. :biggrin:
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.