The Spirit of Bombing! A Volunteer?

Started by junglepete, 08/23/2010 05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junglepete

Hi Everyone,

I think the abundance of generosity here is outstanding and is a big part of what makes this site so great. Kudos to all the bombers out there!

I would love to see a page/link/database/list of all the bombs that have been sent. The list would/could include the sender, the receiver, and a list of the cigars detinated etc etc. Not to make this into a competition, but I would like to see who the mad bombers are and how excessive their pyrotechnics go. Something like a chart with perhaps, or not, levels of bombing practices, sort of like our status tags of veteran, elite veteran, expert etc. Of course the tags will be bomb related names. This would be something of a one page thread that would require a volunteer to update on a regular basis just by editing the page regularily.

Everyone's input would be appreciated.

Pete  :-)
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

gitfiddl

I think that's a great idea.  I have no clue as to how to set it up, but I'd be happy to monitor it.

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

junglepete

Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

Voexum

I think it's a great idea,  :thumbsup:  I dunno what to do  :?: but I'll help, just point me in the right direction! :victory:
Christopher "Voexum"
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Voexum

"A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points but it is by no means the most interesting." - The Doctor

junglepete

QuoteVoexum - 8/23/2010  8:12 PM

I think it's a great idea,  :thumbsup:  I dunno what to do  :?: but I'll help, just point me in the right direction! :victory:

How about if you come up with a draft document, say in publisher or word, and then we can build on it from there?
Guru of Frugality

metalhead y cigarguy

You could just start a new thread under the Bombs Away section and make it a "sticky" or "nailed down" thread so it never leaves the front page. I think I would set it up so that who ever has bombed someone would list the bombs they have sent with the selection of cigars and who they went too. Each time that person bombs another person they could just update their post. This will provide a thread with a list of who's bombed, with a list of the sticks they've sent and who the lucky recipients has been.  You would just have to make it a rule that no one comments about the bombs on this page and have comments in another thread such as we do now. Just a thought.
I'm a Guru playing a Guru disguised as another Guru. 

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=metalhead+y+cigarguy

Instagram: metalhead_cigarguy

metalhead y cigarguy

I just had another idea. Would it be possible to add to your profile information a stat for bombing under the person's "activity". Just like our DB posts, DB reviews, Box Passes, Cigar Place Posts etc. Just add another stat that shows the number of bombs sent and add a point value to it. That would be cool.

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=metalhead+y+cigarguy

SenorPablo

Interesting idea.  I guess it would require folks to posts everytime one happens.  I think most folks do that already just out of respect to recognize the bomber.  Since we have a forum for bombs already wouldn't that become the defacto list?  :confused:  

Otherwise, I guess it would take a database to store all the info by member.  That could take some work.  I had also been thinking about creating a trader rating system where if you did a trade with someone you could rank how it went so there are no surprises for other folks in the future.  Maybe that could be combined somehow.  :confused:

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

junglepete

My idea would be that there would be one admin volunteer person who would enter the info, but it would be good it everyone entered their own bombs, once the bomb has been received of course, and then an admin person would verify it just as we do the database entries. I thought it might be too much work for you Paul so I was looking for an alternative way to do it  :confused:

Sending a bomb could be worth say 5 points....and then say an additional point or two for each cigar in the bomb?
Guru of Frugality

nwb

Chief of Shaft

NES Tek

I think it sounds great! I'd be happy to help in any way!
"A good cigar is like tasting a good wine: you smell it, you taste it, you look at it, you feel it - you can even hear it. It satisfies all the senses." - Anonymous

"You play five years in a Jimmy Buffett cover band and see what your freakin' wardrobe looks like, butthole!" - gitfiddl

SenorPablo

Sounds fine to me.  Maybe sometime I can find a way to automate it.
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

bklein128

Sounds like a good idea.  I'm not the one to help with websites though.

gitfiddl

QuoteSenorPablo - 8/23/2010  9:29 PM

I'm opposed to points being awarded for bombs.  I've been hit several times in the past few weeks, for which I am very, very grateful.  I feel guilty that I can't immediately reciprocate or retaliate with an assault of my own.  I've been the target of several relatively new members that, for some reason, just love me.  :biggrin:

I say we start a new Bomb thread each week.  I don't know what the space we have is, but as of late, someone is getting hit every other day...
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

PA.pierced2010

Sounds like a good idea to recognize the "mad bombers".  Their generosity has been sizeable lately.
"The difference between a man and his valet: they both smoke the same cigars, but only one pays for them"
Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

Voexum

Holy... I just spent 5 hours working on this very rough start in hopes that it will get things going... But OMG after this I swear all I can think about is cigars, Cigars CIGARS!!!! Now as a result at about 3:30am I'm going outside to have a cigar, and it's not even an option at this point... I swear, read all the bombings for five hours and tell me you could do without them delicious, yummy, beautifully, scented cigars!  :hitme: :banghead:  :cry:  :lmao:  :crazy:

Anyway this is not the prettiest thing ever and it's more than likely got some problems or is missing something, but I need a cigar, and a break lol!
Christopher "Voexum"

"A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points but it is by no means the most interesting." - The Doctor

metalhead y cigarguy

Quotegitfiddl - 8/23/2010  8:43 PM

QuoteSenorPablo - 8/23/2010  9:29 PM

I'm opposed to points being awarded for bombs.  I've been hit several times in the past few weeks, for which I am very, very grateful.  I feel guilty that I can't immediately reciprocate or retaliate with an assault of my own.  I've been the target of several relatively new members that, for some reason, just love me.  :biggrin:

I say we start a new Bomb thread each week.  I don't know what the space we have is, but as of late, someone is getting hit every other day...

I too am not in a position to just bomb freely, but I think it's a nice little reward for doing good for one of our fellow geeks. We get points for starting a pass, so why not get points for sending off a bomb. As much as some of our geeks spend on cigars that they freely give away, I think that a few points is a nice return.

Voexum

I'm guessing the best way to open that attachment is to download it, then manually open it with word. I kept trying to open it through the Internet and it gives garbage and code.

P.S. Was Made with Word 2007
Christopher "Voexum"

metalhead y cigarguy

I was able to open it, but I'm using Word 2007 as well. Not a bad start. Thanks for putting in the effort.

nwb

QuoteVoexum - 8/24/2010  3:37 AM

I'm guessing the best way to open that attachment is to download it, then manually open it with word. I kept trying to open it through the Internet and it gives garbage and code.

P.S. Was Made with Word 2007

Wow!  That is awesome and took a lot of work.  Thanks for getting the ball rolling... :biggrin:
Chief of Shaft

junglepete

QuoteVoexum - 8/24/2010  3:28 AM

Holy... I just spent 5 hours working on this very rough start in hopes that it will get things going... But OMG after this I swear all I can think about is cigars, Cigars CIGARS!!!! Now as a result at about 3:30am I'm going outside to have a cigar, and it's not even an option at this point... I swear, read all the bombings for five hours and tell me you could do without them delicious, yummy, beautifully, scented cigars!  :hitme: :banghead:  :cry:  :lmao:  :crazy:

Anyway this is not the prettiest thing ever and it's more than likely got some problems or is missing something, but I need a cigar, and a break lol!

Wow...that was a lot of work Chris!! Thanks for the huge effort to get things going...now we have a good starting point  :biggrin:
Guru of Frugality

Jackal

When I try to open it, it looks like it was written in Klingon.  What program did you use?  I am guessing a newer version of MS office than my computer supports.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

87North

I have to agree with Dave that I'm not really sure I like the idea of awarding points for Bombs either.  Just doesn't seem right for some reason...   :confused:
Guru of "Sarcastic Wit and Folksy Wisdom"

Brlesq

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

nwb

QuoteJackal - 8/24/2010  8:55 AM

When I try to open it, it looks like it was written in Klingon.  What program did you use?  I am guessing a newer version of MS office than my computer supports.

Word 2007
Chief of Shaft

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.