Bad Experience w/Sabor Havana Cigars, Doral

Started by Foe, 12/18/2010 01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foe

Just had to pass along this experience.

Based on a recommendation from SmokinStogie.com (http://thesmokingstogie.squarespace.com/home/tag/601-macho-edicion-limitada-2010), I called and placed an order for an $80 box of 601 LE Machos. I told the young woman who answered the phone what I was looking for and who referred me. She was very nice and polite but was obviously new on the job. In the end, she quoted me a price of $74 and change. I asked if the balance would be applied to shipping to come to the $80 price I saw on the aforementioned blog. She said yes and that my order would ship that day.

A week goes by and no 601 LEs. I call again and get Jose this time. I assume he's the owner/manager and so I ask him what the status of my order is. He says he's glad I called back because he says the young lady who took my order wrote down my information incorrectly--all of it except my first name! Sheesh.

I give Jose my info again and he says he'll ship it that day. Fine, I think; s**te happens, no biggie. Another four business days go by and still no cigars. I call again and Jose says he didn't get a chance to ship because business has been good and he's been so busy...but he'll definitely get my package out that day, promise.

Now yesterday comes and goes and still no cigars. Not only that but the charge on my card is $92+, not the $80 I expected and had been quoted. So I call Jose yet again. He goes on to explain that the girl who quoted me the price was new and that she made a mistake. I replied that I understood but I'd still like him to honor the price I was quoted. He then goes on a rant about how the cigar was only available through him, he had already lowered the price from $13 a stick to $8, and that he had to charge me $12+ in shipping because that was what USPS charged him.

I said again that it was really a matter of principal, it wasn't about the money, so I was really just asking him to simply honor the price I was quoted. Nothing more. He shot back that I was "nickel and dime-ing" him and that "it's only a couple of dollars." Now I was pissed. I spend thousands per year on cigars. But he wouldn't let me get a word in edgewise. He goes on and on, repeating himself I assume in order to try and save himself.

When he finally takes a breath, I comment forcefully that it's not about the money, that it's the principle of the thing. He repeats his "nickel and dime" accusation and we go back and forth for a while. He pisses and moans but finally agrees to give me the refund. I was waiting for just that so I could tell him to keep the money and I'll never order from him again.

Unbelievable. I've never, ever been treated so unprofessionally in the nearly twenty years I've been enjoying fine cigars. But in the last month or so, I've had two very bad experiences. The first was with Atlantic Cigars and now this. I know the economy is bad, but damn, that's just simply no excuse. In fact, one would think it's more critical than ever to retain customers.

Anyway, like I said, just thought I'd share this one.

wescat

That sucks Foe. I've never dealt with them. I assume it is this bunch? http://www.saborhavana.com/locations.html
The second law chases us all.
In most realms, tranquility comes from ownership.
Order ensues when everyone totes their own water.  
Stand firm, and never let the bastards grind you down.  
Life's arc is primarily charted between ones ears.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

Ken Kelley

Quotewescat - 12/18/2010  2:39 PM

That sucks Foe. I've never dealt with them. I assume it is this bunch? http://www.saborhavana.com/locations.html

Don't think it's likely I'll having any dealings with a bunch like that.
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

Robert LG

Sorry that you had to go through all that B.S.  Also glad that you shared.  I don't have the time nor patience to deal with someone like that to save a a few bucks.
Rob

Foe

Quotewescat - 12/18/2010  11:39 AM

Yep, that's the outfit...I hope the smokes are worth it...

Cigary

Having done business with Sabor Havana in Palm Beach Gardens, FL. I'm surprised by their attitude.  Remember that when you make a purchase that you can dictate terms and if they can't abide by them then you cancel your order,,,contact your card people and get your account credited the next day.  I don't put up with that kind of service,,,period from any vendor.  What does surprise me is that you were given crap service from these guys.

DonM

Well, he is not the only cigar vendor in the US,   like Cigary said I would cancel the order and the transaction on your card.  It was not what you were quoted.

"The Curmudgeon"

Foe

QuoteCigary - 12/18/2010  5:24 PM

Having done business with Sabor Havana in Palm Beach Gardens, FL. I'm surprised by their attitude.  Remember that when you make a purchase that you can dictate terms and if they can't abide by them then you cancel your order,,,contact your card people and get your account credited the next day.  I don't put up with that kind of service,,,period from any vendor.  What does surprise me is that you were given crap service from these guys.

DonM - 12/19/2010  5:38 AM

Well, he is not the only cigar vendor in the US,   like Cigary said I would cancel the order and the transaction on your card.  It was not what you were quoted.

If Sabor didn't have sole rights to this particular LE release, I'd have definitely cancelled the order.  

nwb

I've never heard of this vendor, and now I doubt I'll ever use them.  Hopefully it works out and you get what you were promised.
Chief of Shaft

Cigarjorge

Foe.
First let me personally apologize for the crazy experience you had calling my store. True the girl that answered the phone was new. (not an excuse) True this is the craziest time for any retailer. (not an excuse) The information given to you was totally mixed up. It is my assessment after your experience that Jose was trying and failed miserably to cover up for the new girls mistakes. And failed miserably in attending to your needs and request . But I assure you that was not a true example of the company I build. After working for Northwest Airlines for 20 years I know customer service is the key to the success of any business and THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT !!!!!! Please if you allow me I would like to refund to your card the differences between what you were quoted and what you paid. I would further like to send you another box of 601 Machos at no charge to you. I hope that when you smoke these cigars the taste is pure joy and not a reminder of how we failed to provide you with the best customer service possible.  The service you received is not a good example of who we are and how we got to be one of the most visited cigar store in Miami. Once again I profusely apologies and hope you accept my apologies.

Regards,
Jorge Luis Valdes
Founder/Owner
Sabor Havana Cigars
Doral/Kendall/Gables/Palm Beach Gardens

wlfwalleye

Jorge, thanks for posting here and what a great offer to try to make things right!

nwb

Quotewlfwalleye - 12/29/2010  6:37 AM

Jorge, thanks for posting here and what a great offer to try to make things right!

Yes, that is very nice of you.  Thanks for making things right!
Chief of Shaft

Cigary

QuoteCigarjorge - 12/29/2010  12:30 AM

Foe.
First let me personally apologize for the crazy experience you had calling my store. True the girl that answered the phone was new. (not an excuse) True this is the craziest time for any retailer. (not an excuse) The information given to you was totally mixed up. It is my assessment after your experience that Jose was trying and failed miserably to cover up for the new girls mistakes. And failed miserably in attending to your needs and request . But I assure you that was not a true example of the company I build. After working for Northwest Airlines for 20 years I know customer service is the key to the success of any business and THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT !!!!!! Please if you allow me I would like to refund to your card the differences between what you were quoted and what you paid. I would further like to send you another box of 601 Machos at no charge to you. I hope that when you smoke these cigars the taste is pure joy and not a reminder of how we failed to provide you with the best customer service possible.  The service you received is not a good example of who we are and how we got to be one of the most visited cigar store in Miami. Once again I profusely apologies and hope you accept my apologies.

Regards,
Jorge Luis Valdes
Founder/Owner
Sabor Havana Cigars

Now this is the kind of service I've always enjoyed at the Palm Beach Gardens Sabor Havana.  It always pays to try and work out these kinds of things with the owner if possible and good owners are always available to come to some sort of resolution.  An unhappy customer not only walks away from the store unhappy but he usually tells everybody he comes in contact with about his experience.  We live in a very technological time where information is processed in seconds to others around the world.  Thanks  Jorge for your help in this and will continue my patronage each time I get down to S. Florida.  It's a shame I moved from PBG as I used to go to the store there every other day...I miss it.

Brlesq

Jorge - Its great to see that you truly care about your customers and have stepped up to make things right, rather than defend your employees missteps and mistakes.  

That is the only kind of stores I will do business with, and I will be visiting your website when considering my next purchase.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Foe

QuoteCigarjorge - 12/29/2010  12:30 AM

Foe.

Regards,
Jorge Luis Valdes
Founder/Owner
Sabor Havana Cigars

Well, first of all, many thanks for posting here on 'gar Geeks and addressing this issue directly. That in and of itself is much appreciated and would've been enough for me. Thus, your gracious apology is happily accepted. As to your offer of a refund and more cigars...well, I've heard it said that the best cigars in life are free...or maybe that was booze...but in any case, I humbly accept your offer in the ever so generous spirit that it has been extended. I will PM you post haste for a contact number. Thanks again.  

junglepete

An impressive response, apologie, and resolution! ... kudos to Jorge from Sabor Havana Cigars ... Now I'm interested in checking out this establishment. :bigthumbs:
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

wescat

Jorge, thank you for doing such a good job of resolving this issue. Foe, it turned out very well, no?
The second law chases us all.
In most realms, tranquility comes from ownership.
Order ensues when everyone totes their own water.  
Stand firm, and never let the bastards grind you down.  
Life's arc is primarily charted between ones ears.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

Cigarjorge

Thank you everyone including foe. I wrote Foe a public apology because that was not a good example of who we are. We make mistakes but we are responsible enough to correct them and try to find a solution and correction to the problem.

Jorge
Jorgelv@bellsouth.net

nwb

QuoteCigarjorge - 12/30/2010  1:18 AM

Thank you everyone including foe. I wrote Foe a public apology because that was not a good example of who we are. We make mistakes but we are responsible enough to correct them and try to find a solution and correction to the problem.

Jorge
Jorgelv@bellsouth.net

Thank you again.  Based on your response, I don't think anyone will have a problem buying from your establishment. :biggrin:
Chief of Shaft

Foe

Quotewescat - 12/29/2010  6:41 AM

Jorge, thank you for doing such a good job of resolving this issue. Foe, it turned out very well, no?

Cigarjorge - 12/29/2010  10:18 PM

Jorge
Jorgelv@bellsouth.net

wescat - Looks like this will have a happy ending after all, yes indeed.

Jorge - Agreed; we all make 'em. I'm thrilled this is getting ironed out.    :biggrin:

Jackal

Glad to see that this worked out.

Jorge, now that you have heard of our site, please stick around.  It is always great to have the inputs of store owners and others in the cigar business.  You will find that we are a pretty friendly group here.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

metalhead y cigarguy

It's nice to see a business that really cares about their customers.  I was satisfied with my issues with BCP and how they looked into the problem and handled my concerns. I think Foe had a reasonable complaint, and Jorge made things more than right. Well done!  :respekt:
I'm a Guru playing a Guru disguised as another Guru. 

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=metalhead+y+cigarguy

Instagram: metalhead_cigarguy

87North

A great resolution.  Thanks Jorge for your candor and for taking care of the situation.  Foe, glad this seems to have worked out.
Guru of "Sarcastic Wit and Folksy Wisdom"

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.