TTT Cigar #1

Started by emind56, 03/21/2008 06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emind56

Ok fellas this is the thread to stick the reviews in for cigar #1.  Below is the common format for the review:

Time of day smoked:

Inside/Outside

Accompanying drink:

Apperance/Construction of cigar:
Rating 1-10:

Prelight notes:
Rating 1-10:

First third notes:
Rating 1-10:

Second third notes:
Rating 1-10

Third third notes:
Rating 1-10

Summary of experience:
Rating 1-10  

Overall rating 1-10 (should be an average of the other scores

LMK if there are any suggestions to add to the format.  Each section above should have two components.  One is notes and observations, and the second is the actual numerical evaluation.  I'll be smoking my #1 tonight and giving it a review using the format above.

Bob Cordell

Hmmmmmmmmm, looks like "damn that was pretty good aint gonna cut it here"

Haaaaaaaaaa!
"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

mhuss

Do you mean for us to fill this out for our number one favorite cigar of all-time?

emind56

Nope this is for the first week of the blind taste test trade that we're doing.

emind56

Here is my review for cigar #1:

Time: 10:00 local time

I'll be smoking this inside and outside, though I'll be relaxing the whole time so will be able to devote my attention to it.  I'm not planning to drink anything while smoking, but may get some water if necesary.

Apperance/Construction:  This smoke is very unique in construction.  Its robusto in size with a pigtail on the cap and at the foot the wrapper has been left long.  Overall this cigar is beautiful to look at, very nice wrapper with some light veining, and a great redish colorado maduro wrapper.
10/10 for apperance from me, mostly because of the unique presentation.

Prelight notes:  I'm using my swiss army cutter to cut off the pigtail.  Cap came off cleanly.  Prelight draw reveals a nice woody spice, with some pleasent herbal notes almost like a spicy tea.  I believe I'm in for a treat with this one.
9/10 I've had better but this one is great.

First third notes:  Upon lighting this smoke my first impresions are of a woody ligero spice.  This one is gonna be at least medium full, if not all out full bodied.  Theres also a very nice balance here, and the spice comes into line almost immediatley.  Very quickly in the smoke develops a nice creamy sweetness to accompany the woody spice.  A very rich plesant flavor.  About an inch in this smoke really settled down.  Still medium-full but with a very refined and smooth blend.  Very creamy with an underlying subtle sweet spice.  Starting to develop some nice vanila and coco flavors as well.  Nearing the end of the first third and the ash is still hanging on solidly.  The flavors continue to develop.  Now there are loads sweet creamy bean flavors with a great subtle spice (Similar though not the same as ISOM Cohibas), additionaly there are some great herbal tea flavors present.  Burn is razor straight.
Rating 10/10

Second Third: This smoke just keeps changing and adding layers to the complexity.  The herbal notes have become more pronounced.  The sweetness has transormed into more of a honeyed sweetness.  The bean flavors have deepend.  There are hints of coffee now.  The spice has picked up a bit, but it is perfectly in balance with the other flavors.    A great richness coats the palate with every draw on the smoke.  Strength really starting to pick up towards the end of the second third.
10/10 -again.  What a stogie!

Third third:  The home stretch.  In the begining of the third third the gar has begun to develop a great carmel flavor, and the smoke really seems to be coating the palate.  The tea, bean, and woody flavors are all still present though they seem to be getting richer.  The strength keeps picking up, and the burn has been great all the way through.  The slightest bit of sourness comes and goes, but I assume this is just a result of the gar nearing its end.  The comlexity in the blend is fantastic and has kept me entertained the whole way through.
10/10 again.

Summary:   A fantastic smoke!!!!  I've really enjoyed this from begining to end.  Tbe flavor and aroma were remarkable, and the complexity was great.  This smoke reminds me of Cubans, most noteably the Cohiba Robusto, Sancho Panza Beli, and Trini.  Though its obviously not one of those, I found it to be every bit as enjoyable.  I'm looking forward to see what a few years in the humi will do to this smoke.  This will be in my rotation for awhile at least.

Final rating: 9.5/10

ljlemer

That's some review! I can't wait til midnight Mon-Tues to try mine!
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

mhuss

Quoteemind56 - 3/22/2008  1:08 AM
Nope this is for the first week of the blind taste test trade that we're doing.

Oh, my bad!  Sorry.

emind56

Any of the rest of you guys going to be smoking this one today?  I need to find out what it was.  :confused:

ljlemer

Quoteemind56 - 3/22/2008  3:41 PM

Any of the rest of you guys going to be smoking this one today?  I need to find out what it was.  :confused:

You won't know anyway til 1AM Tuesday at the earliest. Remember? I can smoke #2 a few hours later.

Thomas Mann

emind56

Quoteljlemer - 3/22/2008  2:06 PM

Quoteemind56 - 3/22/2008  3:41 PM

You won't know anyway til 1AM Tuesday at the earliest. Remember? I can smoke #2 a few hours later.

I'm just anxious.....can't help it that smoke was great....I need more.

kgoings

Dang I saw this thread and didnt read it...the TTT didnt ring with me.

I will be smoking mine tonight! After I saw what the thread was, I didnt read your review becuase I want to be un-biased on my rating...even though I am a noob and dont know exactly what I am looking for or tasting..I want it to be genuine.

NewGuy

9PM
Oudoors -cold low 40's
H2O
Nice pigtail cap and smooth wrapper. 10.
Light aroma. Open prelight draw. 7.
1/3 Nice mellow/mild with good smoke production. 8.
2/3 Consistant. Required relight. 7.
3/3 Complexity picked up and smoke volume was very full. 9.
In summary the slick looking stick was enjoyable but a little mild. 8.
Average: 8.1

Rack
Rack

"Man is not an island"

kgoings

I sat down outside on our patio furniture and leaned back so I had a nice view of our Love Oak tree with the full moon about sneak behind it and shine through. It was about 8:15PM and about 76 degrees outside with a nice occasional breeze. My wife joined me about 10 minutes in with her glass of Pinot; I was drinking a Bass Pale Ale.

This is a pretty unique cigar, at least to me. I have not seen one like this; it had a sort of pig tail at the cap. Kind of looked like the end of a polish sausage. Very nice color and smell prelight, it had a couple veins and dents but still very nicely constructed. I cut the end and sucked on it for a couple minutes. Soft tastes of cedar and walnut. 8

The cigar lit very nicely, and the first draw was great. I knew I was in for a nice smoke. 10

First third the cigar burnt very even, I tasted Cedar, Walnut, and some Vanilla. Lots of smoke and a very nice taste. Very nice cigar. My wife mentioned that it gave her memories of her late God father, he smoked a pipe. We got to talking about what a great man he was, and some of the things he liked to do. We talked about how we both remembered his pipes, and the smell. The aroma of the smoke was kind of sweet. 10 

Second third the cigar kept pretty much the same tastes with some hints of coffee but didn't get much stronger. The ash stayed until the second third, very tight ash with some blackish grey streaks in it. The cigar started to burn unevenly, but then it would correct itself. Still a wonderful taste and great aroma of the smoke. 8

Third third (that sounds weird) tastes got stronger, there were some other hints of things that I couldn't quite nail down...the taste would be there and then be gone and a new taste. Still a very good tasting cigar and wonderful aroma. In the last third the burn would get really snaggle tooth looking and then correct itself. I only ashed this cigar twice. 8

I loved this cigar and would love to try another. My wife actually stuck with me for the whole smoke which has never happened before. The atmosphere was great and the smoke was great. 9

Total score 53/60 average score 8.83

emind56

Kgoings you have the makings of a great pallate there brother!  Great review, your pallate will be scary sensitive in a few years, keep up the good work

ljlemer

Quoteemind56 - 3/23/2008  2:23 AM

Kgoings you have the makings of a great pallate there brother!  Great review, your pallate will be scary sensitive in a few years, keep up the good work

Post #300 in 23 days!! Incredible!!

Thomas Mann

kgoings

Thanks, after reading your review it did remind me of a green tea or spiced tea.

So are we waiting for one more review before it is unveiled to us?

emind56

yeah one or two more.  Larrry will be on Tuesday I think the earliest.

Bob Cordell

Ok, here goes my review of cigar number one. It was about 6:30 PM, EST when I started smoking it.

I had a couple of Coors lights before I started smoking it to wind down from a busy day. It was snowing outside and fairly cold so I had to lay it down after each stage.

The appearance was very unique with the pigtail and rough cut foot. I thought the smell was like a spicy fruit fragrance. The cap come off almost effortlessly which I liked.

The prelight draw was rather woody, not what I was expecting.

The first puffs had a leathery-bitter flavor which I liked. The draw was effortless which I also liked. This cigar produced a ton of smoke. The bitterness subsided and got creamy the more I smoked it. Brrrrrrrr...had to lay it down and come inside. I smelled my hand and still smelled the spicy fruit smell.

I went out to relight the cigar after about 12 minutes or so...Ha, it was still lit, no lighter required. Im not sure if it was due to me letting it lay for a minute but it turned to a taste like rich coffee with heavy cream flavors. The bitterness came back just a tad and I still enjoyed it very much. I could note a hint of the fruity flavor I smelled at first. The burn was flawless.

Damn, its cold again,back inside for a bit!

After about another 15 minutes or so I went out to finish it, I did have to relight it this time but hey, give it a break. Ok, its quit snowing and the sun is out...thats Tennessee in March. The flavor was still creamy like coffee but picked up a nutty-cocoa like flavor. It still produced a ton of thick chewy smoke. I nubbed it out.

In summary I really liked this cigar. It was different from any smoke I have had before. I would buy them...

Overall Rating: 8 out of 10!

kgoings

So can Larry tell us what it was now? Was it a CAO Criollo

ljlemer

Quotekgoings - 3/24/2008  7:28 PM

So can Larry tell us what it was now? Was it a CAO Criollo

Me? That wasn't mine. Stay tuned for my review.

Thomas Mann

ljlemer

I smoked it outside about 11:15 PM Monday night, having been given leave to start early. It was a chilly 60 degrees (for here)and I was drinking a diet lemon-lime soda. The appearance was unusual, but well made. The smell wasn't remarkable. I clipped the twist and found the draw just right. Apperance/Construction of cigar: 8 (includes a point off for uneven burn in last third).

Prelight notes: 9.

First third notes: Cigar tasted very good from the start. Lack of bleeding and wrapper flavor leads me to guess it's a Cameroon. Even burn, good draw, strong head. Points: 9

Second third notes: More of the same. Began wishing cigar were longer. Still no bleeding, which is just as bad as too much bleeding. Flavor remains very good, so I can forgive the lack of juices to swallow. Points: 9

Third third notes: Still no bleeding. After all this time, my patience runs thin with the lack of juices, hence one point off. Cigar begins burning unevenly, preventing me from smoking it down to last inch. One point off for that. The base score of 9 becomes a 7. Score: 7

Summary of experience: Very nice cigar. Would like to explore the whole line in different sizes.

8+9+9+9+7=42, hence final score is 8.4. If I were reviewing it for the group unblinded, I'd give it a 4, only because 4.25 is not allowed and it misses being a 4.5.

Thomas Mann

kgoings

Alright I am confused....hasnt everyone reviewed this? Who's was it?

NewGuy

I think we are ready for a reveal on #1  :confused:

Rack
Rack

"Man is not an island"

kgoings

Yea we are ready, everyone (all five) have reviewed it.

Bob Cordell

I take it emind has a surprise in store for us here?

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.