TTT Cigar #2

Started by NewGuy, 03/22/2008 08:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewGuy

I tried #2 first based on size and time allotted for a smoke. I basically had time for a longer smoke.

5:00 pm
Outdoors while floating leisurely on small lake in my kayak.
Water to drink.
Appearance was veiny with a bulging bump causing the cigar to be out of round. Otherwise construction was firm and intact. 6.
Prelight was aromatic and draw was open, near perfect. 8.
1/3 was great! After light spice was barely noticed and smooth complexity complmented by a high smoke volume. 10.
2/3 still mellow and even burning - no bitterness! 10.
3/3 Additional strenght added to flavor, needed touched up and relit. 7.
In summary a delightful experience. I imagine others enjoying the lake had to be a bit envious of my evening cruise! 9.
Overall: 8.3

Rack
Rack

"Man is not an island"

emind56

Nice review...I love not knowing what they are it makes me so curious

NewGuy

Yes, it does add to the pleasure.

Rack
Rack

"Man is not an island"

kgoings

Oh my its started! So is that the format? NewGuy is this what you went by?

1. Apprearance

2.Aroma

3. 1/3 flavor

4. 2/3 flavor

5. 3/3 flavor

6. Overall

and then did you average them? Or could we just add them up? Like yours would be a 50 out of 60

NewGuy

Hey kgoings

Check out eminds format in the thread titled TTT Cigar #1. It's his rec. review format.

Rack
Rack

"Man is not an island"

kgoings

Hey we are only doing 1 cigar a week right?

ljlemer

Quotekgoings - 3/23/2008  1:20 PM

Hey we are only doing 1 cigar a week right?

I can handle more if they fall within my 3 day binge. I don't mind others going ahead just as long as they don't reveal the identity.

I would've thought we'd all reveal our reviews together so as not to unconsciously influence each other.
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

NewGuy

I would've thought we'd all reveal our reviews together so as not to unconsciously influence each other.[/QUOTE]

Well we have have a separate thread for each TTT smoke, so, if you don't want to risk influence from another smoker you (one) could not read the review thread until you've written your review.

Rack
Rack

"Man is not an island"

ljlemer

QuoteNewGuy - 3/23/2008  4:15 PM

I would've thought we'd all reveal our reviews together so as not to unconsciously influence each other.

Well we have have a separate thread for each TTT smoke, so, if you don't want to risk influence from another smoker you (one) could not read the review thread until you've written your review.

Rack[/QUOTE]

I think that's called self-control. I'm all out.

Thomas Mann

kgoings

3:15 MST outside on my back porch, it was around 83 degrees and a bit of a breeze.

This cigar was kinda lumpy and had some wrinkles or tears, it smelled good but didnt look good. 6

Cigar lit really quickly and had a bitter strong taste on the first couple draws, lots of smoke. 8

First third, the cigar tasted woody and nutty and some spice. The bitterness went away after about 5 minutes and it calmed down a bit, still a strong cigar for my tastes. 8

Second third tastes remained the same but got stronger a little bit, the spice became more prevelant. 8

Last third it got pretty strong...too strong for me and maybe a bit bitter. 7

Overall impression was I am not sure I liked it, I would smoke one again to try it. 7

7.3 average, but I dont think this cigar was ready to be smoked so that is not a fair score. it was pretty hard and I didnt really check it before I smoked it, I would have probably put it back. So if you havent smoked it yet, smoke it last. I tore apart the nub and the ouside 1/8th to 1/4 of an inch was dry as a bone, the inside was very moist...this one needs to be last. I am disappointed that I smoked it when it wasnt ready.

ljlemer

Smoked outside, 1 AM Tuesday. Drank diet cola. Cigar looks suspiciously like a cheap bundle cigar. Tight construction suggests possible homogenized tobacco binder. No apparent pre-smell. Scores: 7 & 7.

First few minutes confirm my worst fear. I'm smoking a really cheap cigar and I can even taste tobacco paper. For a cheap cigar it tastes better than average, which isn't saying much. Score: 6

Second third gets better. The flavor starts growing on me. Score: 7

Last third gets boring. Feeling disappointed. Like slumming. Nothing personal to the provider. Score: 6.

7 + 7 + 6 + 7 + 6 = 33= 66 overal score. I would give this 2 or 2.5 points in the CG reviews.

Thomas Mann

NewGuy

I like this mixed bag of feedback on stick #2! :bump:

Rack
Rack

"Man is not an island"

emind56

Am I last to go on #2?  Shesh I get busy for 2 days and fall far behind here on CG.  I'll burn this one tommorow so we can move forward.

NewGuy

The spread on this smoke wide. You could be the decider!

Rack
Rack

"Man is not an island"

NewGuy

I thought I would post on this thread to keep it fresh on the recent posts home page. Difference of opinions like the ones on this stick are going to enrich our database. Thanks again emind for starting the TTT.

Rack
Rack

"Man is not an island"

Bob Cordell

emind needs to get busy here!

UPDATE: Cigar # 2 was previously reviewed by 2 participants! Ha, the results were somewhat different then!

Care to guess?
"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

emind56

Just lighting up number two now.
Its 8:50pm here, I've had one cigar this morning a mild number nothing to get excited about.  I'm planning to drink nothing but water for this cigar.

I'm in my living room so no wind or other distractions

Apperance:  A nice looking toothy wrapper, very dark with some heavy veining.  This stick feels solid and the girth of it only adds to this perception.  On apperance I'd give this bad boy a 7/10

Prelight: Prelight draws reveal a nice firm draw (not plugged or tight) just the way I like them.  The prelight flavor, is rich with hints of rasins, and cedar/leather.   I hope the smoke is as good as the prelight.
 9/10

1st thrid:  Lit it up with my trusty Xtend and got an initial blast of Ligero spice....delicious.  The smoke qucikly settles down into a nice med-full bodied flavor bomb.  Rich tobbaco flavors are complemented by darkly fruited notes, and a faint sweet vanilla flavor.   As the first third progresses the bean flavors begin to dominate, along with the nice rich tobbaco flavor.  Its a very smooth blend for a full bodied cigar.  The only reason points are coming off is that its not very complex.
8/10

2nd third:  The second third is very much just a continuation of the first third.  Bean flavors and a rich tobbaco taste.  The flavor of this cigar is very pleasing, but it is a little disapointing that it is not more complex.  As the second third progresses a pronounced sweetness is added to the experience.  As the second third ends the only objection I can find is that its not complex
7/10

3rd third:  Strength is slowly creeping into the full bodied region which I like.  As the third progresses a citrusy flavor comes into play, not biterness exactley just citrusy.  I had to blow it out once to relive some of the biter flavors that were begining to accumulate, no points off for that, just an observation.  The biter flavor has gotten very strong in the last third....this is a disapointing development.   In spite of the bitterness the smoke is still fairly enjoyable.
6/10

Summary:  Overall I enjoyed this smoke.  I can't say I loved it, and the lack of complexity leads me to believe I'd tire of this smoke after a few.  Although I could certainly see smoking one once in a while as a change of pace.
I'm going to give this one a solid 7/10

emind56

Time to reveal the origin of this fine smoke Bob.

ljlemer

Quoteemind56 - 3/28/2008  12:49 AM

I hear the drums rolling!!!!!

Thomas Mann

ljlemer

Quoteljlemer - 3/28/2008  12:53 AM

Quoteemind56 - 3/28/2008  12:49 AM

I hear the drums rolling!!!!!

Dang! He's not online!!

Thomas Mann

Bob Cordell

Hey...some people have to get up and go to work! Bums!

Haaaaaaaa, I did stay up till about 12:30 or so waiting, then I had to lay down.

Smoke #2 is a Slow Aged by PERDOMO maduro!!!!!!!!!

I had a 5er before I bought these and enjoyed them. A friend liked the one I gave him and I had just recieved 10 in the mail on the very day I needed to mail my cigars. I thought what the hell...these will work. I looked on the reviews and Larry and NewGuy had both said they were ok.

emind56

I'd never had one before, thanks for the contribution their Bob :dancing:

ljlemer

QuoteBob Cordell - 3/28/2008  9:20 AM

Hey...some people have to get up and go to work! Bums!

Haaaaaaaa, I did stay up till about 12:30 or so waiting, then I had to lay down.

Smoke #2 is a Slow Aged by PERDOMO maduro!!!!!!!!!

I had a 5er before I bought these and enjoyed them. A friend liked the one I gave him and I had just recieved 10 in the mail on the very day I needed to mail my cigars. I thought what the hell...these will work. I looked on the reviews and Larry and NewGuy had both said they were ok.

I recall it being very different. I gave it 4 stars and said: What a pleasant surprise! I really wasn't impressed with the first minute or two. Then it started getting agreeable, then enjoyable. I was doing a crossword puzzle outside and suddenly looked and an hour had gone by and I was holding on to the stub with my teeth, wishing it wasn't finished. I often throw my cigars away halfway or 3/4 of the way through when the flavor deteriorates or I give up trying to be patient with a loser. I was really impressed by how this fella snuck up on me and won me over.

I gave the natural 3.5 stars and said: A good cigar but as it progresses ir gets bitterer. At some point the bitterness affects the enjoyment. This was also true of the maduro version, but less so in the small sample of one each that this reviewer is basing his ratings on. Medium strength, well constructed, good burn.

Are you sure somebody didn't sent me the wrong cigar? I think I still have some left, but they are in storage and I can't get to them now to compare.

Thomas Mann

Bob Cordell

I don't know Larry, but the 4 I sent were Perdomo Slow Aged Maduros. I took the bands off them myself and shoved them in the box right after receiving them...

NewGuy

If that was the Slow-Aged Lot 826 Glorioso Maduro I am going to glady raise my rating a half star!

Rack
Rack

"Man is not an island"

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.