General/CAO Items Pulled @ CBID

Started by nwb, 03/14/2011 11:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nwb

Found a thread on the CBID forums that said CBID will be pulling all General/CAO cigars for the time being.  Here are some quotes:

"The purpose of this email is to inform you of a situation with one of the lots you were winning. Due to a change in pricing structure, General Cigar / CAO directed us to immediately remove their products from our website."

"This is being worked out as we speak. CAO and General products were pulled while we work it out. With regards to RP product, RP has made a movement to increase in sales in the brick and mortar market, thus hurting the catalog / web business. We can no longer promote the products in the same ways that made them succesful in the first place."

http://www.cigarbid.com/Forum/c/posts/604087/CAO-products-pulled
Chief of Shaft

NES Tek

"A good cigar is like tasting a good wine: you smell it, you taste it, you look at it, you feel it - you can even hear it. It satisfies all the senses." - Anonymous

"You play five years in a Jimmy Buffett cover band and see what your freakin' wardrobe looks like, butthole!" - gitfiddl

Brlesq

Hmm . . . I just clicked on CBid, plugged in 'CAO', and came up with lots of active CAO auctions.  However, I was not able to find a Punch auction.   :confused:
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

nwb

BTW - the more I read about Rocky, the more I don't want to give him any business.  It seems like many people's experience meeting him was like my own.  He seems completely arrogant when you meet him in person, and unlike most reps/owners, he seems like he doesn't want to give the average consumer his time of day...
Chief of Shaft

nwb

QuoteBrlesq - 3/14/2011  12:55 PM

Hmm . . . I just clicked on CBid, plugged in 'CAO', and came up with lots of active CAO auctions.  However, I was not able to find a Punch auction.   :confused:

Were they CAO Blacks?  Those didn't change since it is a CI exclusive.
Chief of Shaft

Bob Cordell

"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

NES Tek

QuoteBob Cordell - 3/14/2011  9:56 AM

No CAOs on C-Bid?

:mad:

Ditto!
"A good cigar is like tasting a good wine: you smell it, you taste it, you look at it, you feel it - you can even hear it. It satisfies all the senses." - Anonymous

"You play five years in a Jimmy Buffett cover band and see what your freakin' wardrobe looks like, butthole!" - gitfiddl

lowpro75

Since I have what I consider a good supply of cigars (between 200-250), I have not been very active online or on the auction sites lately.  In the last 6 months I have been buying more at the B&M and less online.  I do this to support the lounge as well as to try singles without commiting to a 5 pack.  Though I spend more money at the B&M, it is those online purchases where I can more bang for the buck when I need to reload.  So while this doesn't affect me now, I know that down the road when I'm looking for a specific stick I'll be annoyed when I can't find it for a decent price online, when in the past I could.
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

BlackIrish

Interesting.  I'd noticed that there were a LOT of CAOs on closeout (Holts, Atlantic, etc.) and wondered what was up.  Must be trying to unload existing inventory before new pricing structure goes into effect.
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

kennyg

No more CAO's ??? must be a dispute on price increases or something.

When new "models" of cigars come out a manufacturer has the opportunity to list them for whatever price they want...... but take existing models and raise the prices, that's how the fight start.

I'm a fan of them  :sad:
KennyG : )

herfdude

Makes me glad I loaded up on CAO's at the Holts sale and I loaded up on RP Vintage 92's at the RMR going out of business sales.... :biggrin:
"I have made it a rule never to smoke more than one cigar at a time."  Mark Twain

mb2456

Fortunately there are a ton of cigar labels out there that aren't affected.  I will miss the opportunity to get the CAO Brazil or Gold at a good price and I'm not personally going to miss many of the RP's out there.  However, there are other fish in the sea....

jharrisx5

Well, it'll be interesting to see how price increases work out for them in a down economy, seems kinda crazy to me if that's what is going on with CAO   :crazy:

Personally I like the idea of Xikar cigars...lower prices in a down economy...sounds like a win-win

:bigthumbs:
Puff Puff Give....

jharrisx5

Next we will probably see reserve price auctions!

Puff Puff Give....

nwb

Just a note - from the sounds of it, this won't be permanent.  They are just pulling products until the negotiations come to a conclusion.
Chief of Shaft

Brlesq

Quotejharrisx5 - 3/14/2011  1:50 PM

Next we will probably see reserve price auctions!

They've been doing that at CigarAuctioneer for a long time now.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

jharrisx5

I didn't know that...actually I'm not sure I've been to Cigar Auctioneer..

I guess I'm a deal snob...If I don't get it for a great deal then I'm too good for it  :biggrin:

I don't remember which auction site I had visited once before, but I remember that the cigars seemed to sell way to close to retail for my tastes
Puff Puff Give....

cmmayo

I'm glad I have stocked up like I did (mostly in 2009, but a decent amount in late 2010, too)... the auctions aren't as good as they used to be and the deals used to come at us so far and in such great quantity that I found it hard not to want to buy something every week (or more).
--Corey

I'M BACK, MF-ers!!!

drexeltpd

It's interesting that they pulled those from the auctions.  However, I did notice that the normal online and in-store prices have come down a decent amount on CAO's (especially the La Traviata which is my favorite).  Not sure what the deal is but it may just be to limit super low prices on auction sites.

jsnake

Quotenwb - 3/14/2011  11:55 AM

BTW - the more I read about Rocky, the more I don't want to give him any business.  It seems like many people's experience meeting him was like my own.  He seems completely arrogant when you meet him in person, and unlike most reps/owners, he seems like he doesn't want to give the average consumer his time of day...
Sounds just like my experience with Rocky. I have heard some not so nice things about him in general that would make anyone think twice about him.

Sounds like some of these manufacturers are trying to establish pricing agreements to make the B&M owner's a little happier.

87North

Sound like there'll be some wrangling for a while to come... :sad:
Guru of "Sarcastic Wit and Folksy Wisdom"

smoke 1

Disappointing.  :mad:  Sounds like they just want to make sure they keep the prices at the level they want them at.  

-Brian

hornsfan

Well that sucks. Those are the two main brands i bought off cbid.  :cry:

lubrix

----
Guru of ruining the moment.

Voexum

Ahh see I knew I wasn't going crazy!

For awhile I was looking on C-Bid for LGC's and or CAO's and nothing was turning up; now I know why!

That is a real bummer though!  :mad:
Christopher "Voexum"
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Voexum

"A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points but it is by no means the most interesting." - The Doctor

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.