TTT Cigar #4

Started by ljlemer, 03/27/2008 06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ljlemer

Should I smoke #4 before my "curfew" starts tonight ot should I wait til Tuesday? Or should I do it and save the review?
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

NewGuy

I keep a two headed quarter around for just such decisions! Heads I smoke, tails I don't. So, if I had to decide, lets see, (flip, rattle, ratttle) Heads it is! I'd smoke it  :biggrin:

Rack
Rack

"Man is not an island"

ljlemer

I smoked it. What i really appreciate is a cheap cigar that tastes good. Those are hard to find. This one resembles the cheaper Thompson house brands, except is actually tastes pretty good. The construction is subpar, though. I had to poke it with a nail file to get a usable draw and the head collapsed early on. Nevertheless, it was an enjoyable smoke.

About 8:30 PM, cool and pleasant weather, diet soda.

Apperance/Construction of cigar: Rating 7 Looked like what it was, a self-respecting cheap cigar.

Prelight notes: Rating: 7  Smelled pretty good, but really bad draw until fixed.

First third notes: Rating: 9 Very tasty.

Second third notes: Rating: 8  Still tasty, but head collapses. I have to stick it deeper into my mouth to puff.

Third third notes: Rating: 7 Still tasty, but draw becomes too loose and smoke blows hot.

Summary of experience: Rating: 8

Overall rating: 7.67   3.5 stars based on an outstanding performance by a cheap cigar.

I'm ready for the next TTT.

Thomas Mann

emind56

I'll be puffing on this bad boy shortly.  You gotta love the weekends  :dancing:

Bob Cordell

I started # 4 about 6:15 pm today. I had a Keystone Light or two after work to wind down.

I noticed a subtle box press shape to the cigar and the wrapper had a soft and dry feel to it. I noticed a pretty open pre light draw  to it. The color had almost a reddish hue to it. 7/10

The first thing I noticed was a bitter cedar-woody flavor to it. Mine developed a pretty bad bleed to it that I tried to touch up with my lighter. The bitterness increased as did the bleed. I put it down to let it cool off for a second and write this review. 6/10

Ok, after tapping all the ash off and some creative lighter work the bleed had stopped but never did burn even. The bitterness had subsided a bit and it took on more of a leathery-nutty flavor. I think I got a bad one, the burn needed constant correction so it wouldn't get hot on only one side. I'm struggling...now its raining! I'm gonna lay it down again...5/10

So I pick it up again, great, the burn has evened out. The flavor has turned very nutty, like toasted almonds and cashews. The burn is wide open now so I can only take a couple of puffs every minute and a half or so or it overheats. I did nub it out though...7/10

Overall I think I got a bad one so maybe my review isn't quite fair. The bitterness and bleed took away points through the first two thirds. It burned a bit hot even at first which may have contributed to its bitterness. I guess I can only give it a 6.5 out of ten. Through no fault of the provider I think I got a badly rolled smoke, maybe I would give higher points on another.

6.5 out of 10!

:cry:
"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

Bob Cordell

When is everybody else going to get busy on this smoke?

:mad:

emind56

promise this will be my smoke for the night.

ljlemer

Quoteemind56 - 4/2/2008  6:32 PM

promise this will be my smoke for the night.

Then there's #5?

Thomas Mann

emind56

I gotta put this one off for a day or so...sorry.  My Grandfather is in the ICU and will probably pass in the next couple of days, and with all that I just am not able to give my cigars the proper attention for a good review.  Please forgive my tardiness on the last two reviews, but its really because I want to give it my best and not half ass the review that I'm delaying a couple days until I can give it the time and attention the smoke and you guys deserve.

Bob Cordell

Ummmmmmm, lets forget about the pass and hope pe-paw makes a recovery!

Cigars are really not that important at this point!

My prayers are with you...

emind56

QuoteBob Cordell - 4/2/2008  10:15 PM

Ummmmmmm, lets forget about the pass and hope pe-paw makes a recovery!

Cigars are really not that important at this point!

My prayers are with you...

I appreciate it brother...I'm afraid there is no recovery at this point, just a waiting game.  It will be for the best when it does finaly come to pass.  The pass ought to be fine, its already on its way to FLA.  I'll be able to smoke the other two smokes for the TTT this weekend, when I have some time to focus on them.  Unless of course I need to fly back home this weekend, so we'll have to see.....again I appreciate your thoughts and prayers.

kgoings

Quoteemind56 - 4/2/2008 8:54 PM I gotta put this one off for a day or so...sorry. My Grandfather is in the ICU and will probably pass in the next couple of days, and with all that I just am not able to give my cigars the proper attention for a good review. Please forgive my tardiness on the last two reviews, but its really because I want to give it my best and not half ass the review that I'm delaying a couple days until I can give it the time and attention the smoke and you guys deserve.

My prayers will be with you too! Besides I wont be able to get to #4 till next week anyways I am swamped!

NewGuy

Sorry to hear of your grandfathers condition. Prayers and peace to you brother.

Rack
Rack

"Man is not an island"

emind56

Cigar #4

Prelights:  This is one ugly duckling!   Very veiny and mottled colored.  Theres even a small hole near the head of the smoke.  Prelight draw is nice with a fantastic syrupy almost brown sugar flavor.
6/10

1st third:  Mild is the order of the day.  Nice tobbaco flavors, with a wonderful woody sweetness, almost honeyd.  Throughout the 1st third no real changes, one dimensional but I like the demension.
7/10

2nd third:  Now its transitioning into a medium bodied smoke.  The smoke volume is ample now and has begun to have some herbal or tea flavors which complement the honeyd woodyness quite nicley.  As the second third draws to a close there is a subtle spice in the back of the pallate.  The second third has been very enjoyable.  Almost reminds me of a HDM, its similar but not quite as rich or complex.
8.5/10

3rd third:  This third started off by the spice increasing a bit, as well as the other flavors intesifiying.  A subtle cinamon flavor developed which was quite plesant.  Some bitterness started creeping in so I was forced to purge the smoke a few times....this is understandable in the nub phase though.

Summary:  Overall I was pleasenlty suprised by this smoke.  Its apperance seemed to indicate badness, but the flavors within the smoke were very nice indeed.  A sweet woodyness pervaded with hints of tea and a nice cinamon spice to the finish.  
Overall I'd give this a 7/10 or 3.5/5.  If the price is right I'll be smoking more of these in the future.

emind56

Have we all smoked this one now?

Bob Cordell

I think you were the last one...

kgoings

Prelight and appearance, the appearance is medium, it has some bumps in it and veins. It has a nice smell and the prelight draw is good. 7

First third started out a bit bitter in teh first couple draws but then became very smooth with a woody taste. Nice draw with lots of smoke, reminds me of a walk in a damp forrest..the smell does. 7

Second third started to get hints of sweetness and some nuts, still has a nice woody flavor, the aroma of the smoke is very nice. 8

Last third, got a bit bitter again, still has a nice taste but left an undesirable aftertaste. Maybe I smoked it too fast or too hot. 5 

Bob Cordell

Ok, now we can get the reveal...

ljlemer

Quotekgoings - 4/7/2008  11:42 AM

Maybe I smoked it too fast or too hot.

That's what happens when you wait til the last minute. :lmao:

Thomas Mann

kgoings

Quoteljlemer - 4/7/2008 10:45 AM
Quotekgoings - 4/7/2008 11:42 AM Maybe I smoked it too fast or too hot.

Nah I usually smoke at night, but sometimes I get tired and want to goto bed but I also want to finish the smoke. I smoked this one last night and I was REALLY tired after my super busy weekend. I should have saved it for tonight or tomorrow.

ljlemer

Quotekgoings - 4/7/2008  2:29 PM

Quoteljlemer - 4/7/2008 10:45 AM
Quotekgoings - 4/7/2008 11:42 AM Maybe I smoked it too fast or too hot.

Nah I usually smoke at night, but sometimes I get tired and want to goto bed but I also want to finish the smoke. I smoked this one last night and I was REALLY tired after my super busy weekend. I should have saved it for tonight or tomorrow.

Your next post will be number 300! Congrats in advance!

In 6 hours I can smoke again!

Thomas Mann

NewGuy

QuoteBob Cordell - 4/7/2008  12:15 PM

Ok, now we can get the reveal...

OK, I submitted for TTT the #4 cigar which was ................. an ONYX Vintage 1997 Black Prince.  I didn't think anyone would guess it was an ONYX because of the wierd wrapper coloration.

Rack
Rack

"Man is not an island"

Bob Cordell

I have had several Onyx before but I recall the wrapper being MUCH darker. Like I said in my review I think I got a bad one, the burn had me struggling the whole time, that wasnt your fault, it happens.

Aren't the wrappers usually much darker?

NewGuy

Black as the name implies Bob, ONYX. I thot it was an novelty to find the Black Prince in splotchy brown.

Rack
Rack

"Man is not an island"

Bob Cordell

That what I was thinking!

Hmmmmmmm, fooled me. Kinda like my Slow Aged by Perdomo did you guys!

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.