Can't purchase cigars from BestCigarprices.com

Started by kennyg, 04/19/2011 07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kennyg

So I went online today looking for a good deal on Te-Amo cigars.  I was interested in buying a 5 pack of them as a cowerker had said good things about them.

I added a fiver to my online shopping basket, proceeded to the checkout,
had to create an account,
gave them my credit card information,
and then billing address.

When I clicked the button "shipping address is the same as billing address" a large red outlined popup box came up saying they no longer sell items to people who live in NY state due to possible sales tax ramifications. And said box informed my my order was cancelled. I could call customer service if I wanted more details.

ARG !!!  I was ticked. Why not tell me that BEFORE allowing me to create an account, and giving my credit card information ??

I understand it's probably due to NY state threatening to "collect" sales tax from out of state transactions, but that's a poor way to handle the policy, at the end of the checkout process ?

I wrote them an email, stating better ways to handle such a policy, I'm doubtful they will take my advice.

If you live in NY state, don't bother trying to shop online there.

:banghead:
KennyG : )

dwig

Here is a link to a Te-Amo bundle closeout at JR's.

http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?page=itemDetails&itemcode=TA450

Don't know anything about the smokes, just remembered seeing it this morning.
 :confused:

I wonder if clouds ever look down on us and say:  Hey look.  That one is shaped like an idiot!"

kennyg

Quotedwig - 4/19/2011  8:34 PM

Perfect !  I know JR will sell to NY state residents  :dancing:

nwb

Note to self - never live in NY.  Add to list right after California.
Chief of Shaft

kennyg

Quotenwb - 4/19/2011  8:47 PM

NY isn't bad, it's the legislators that are terrible.

Haven't you heard our state slogan ?  I love NY ???? catchy huh  :lmao:

Brlesq

Kenny - You can buy from a NY retail site if you add the 75% tobacco tax on the purchase, but then what is the point, right?  Some sites, like bestcigar and cigarsatyourprice, won't even bother to let you choose this option.

Our local Albany B&M, Habana Premium Cigar Shoppe, also operates a pretty decent website, and Scotty will ship to you and add on the tax if you want to make a purchase in NY.

For those Geeks outside of NY, check out his site.  Sometimes he has great deals, and he also has a large selection of pipe tobacco.

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/premiumcigars.html
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

ROTHNH

Quotedwig - 4/19/2011  8:34 PM

JR can be funky as well.  I can't order on line from JR, I have to call.  I wouldn't be surprised if JR will soon be join BCP and other on line vendors to opt out of selling to anyone with an address in NY and any other state putting serious pressure on them to go to court to obtain sales records to collect taxes due from customers who live there.

The next step, after using the on line cigar sales data is to go back and bill state residents for their unpaid tax liability due to the State Treasury.

vw77guy

metalhead y cigarguy

I've always had good luck with BCP and their customer service, but I also live in a state that's not California and New York.  :biggrin:
I'm a Guru playing a Guru disguised as another Guru. 

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=metalhead+y+cigarguy

Instagram: metalhead_cigarguy

Cigary

Maybe have a buddy buy the cigars and then send him the check?????  Lots of us who don't live in NY!

ljlemer

Seriously, what is the sales tax on tobacco now in NYS? How much more is it with NYC taxes added?
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

DonM

:word:

"The Curmudgeon"

gitfiddl

QuoteDonM - 4/20/2011  7:14 AM

Double- :word: x2
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

nwb

Quoteljlemer - 4/20/2011  6:17 AM

Seriously, what is the sales tax on tobacco now in NYS? How much more is it with NYC taxes added?

75% of wholesale.  So a cigar that a B&M buys for $3 will automatically have $2.25 tacked on, then said B&M has to mark it up to make a profit.
Chief of Shaft

kennyg

QuoteBrlesq - 4/19/2011  10:05 PM

Kenny - You can buy from a NY retail site if you add the 75% tobacco tax on the purchase, but then what is the point, right?  Some sites, like bestcigar and cigarsatyourprice, won't even bother to let you choose this option.

Our local Albany B&M, Habana Premium Cigar Shoppe, also operates a pretty decent website, and Scotty will ship to you and add on the tax if you want to make a purchase in NY.

For those Geeks outside of NY, check out his site.  Sometimes he has great deals, and he also has a large selection of pipe tobacco.

Good points,  I did not see that "Best" was located in NY state. When I surf the internet I don't usually pay attention to where a company is located. Haven't needed to up until now. Wow this sucks even more now.

The state I live in has made it so that buying cigars from a shop in my own state costs so much that the retailers refuse the sale !  

I'm going to call them later this morning to find out what the "cost" would be to sell cigars to me, an in state resident.

I'll post what I find out.  

Lastly I was originally ticked that t"best" didn't refuse the sale before making me give my credit card info and create an account with them.  :mad:

Brlesq

Yeah, Ken, I now make it my first practice on any new site to review their shipping policies or shoot them an email to make sure they will ship in NY.  Save me a lot of time in the end. :-(
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

87North

QuoteBrlesq - 4/19/2011  9:05 PM

I like that outfit... They're always on my list of possibles.   :confused:
Guru of "Sarcastic Wit and Folksy Wisdom"

87North

Quotegitfiddl - 4/20/2011  6:19 AM

Quadruple- :word: x4   <------- I'm voting twice like I was from Chicago.   :shades:
Guru of "Sarcastic Wit and Folksy Wisdom"

kennyg

I just got off the phone with customer service at BestCigarprices. They in fact are located in NY state, and cannot sell anything that is listed on their website to people who reside in New York at the prices listed on the website.

Last year when the "new" cigar taxes went into effect, here in NY, it raised the tax on cigars to 75% of the supplied product price.....no im not kidding, 75% tax.

If Bestcigarprices was to sell to me, a customer in their own state, they would have to charge me way more than people from Florida, or Alabama, etc.

OK tax me already, but 75 %  ? ? ? ?  Wow, let's try that on people who buy bacon, let's put a 75% tax on bacon, (it's bad for you you know)  Or how about a 75% tax on well on anything ?  

This is all thanks to NY state legislators. Whom I would thank in person, but I'm at work here in Rochester today, and I bet most of them are at home, Easter recess you know !

However, Cigars International is located in Pennsylvania  

Life is still good

:dancing:    

gitfiddl

Quote87North - 4/20/2011  10:29 AM

Quadruple- :word: x4   <------- I'm voting twice like I was from Chicago.   :shades:

I didn't think you could do that until you were dead...
 :shades:
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

horrido

"As you approach thirty, you have a thirty ring gauge; as you approach fifty, you have a fifty ring gauge."
-- Cuban saying

metalhead y cigarguy

Just an FYI regarding BestCigarPrices.com.  They are moving their warehouse and operations to Pennsylvania and should be completely moved by the end of the year.  Those living in NY state will be able to purchase from them soon.
I'm a Guru playing a Guru disguised as another Guru. 

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=metalhead+y+cigarguy

Instagram: metalhead_cigarguy

Jackal

Quotehorrido - 4/20/2011  1:30 PM

Welcome to my world in taxes....lol :lmao:

Anyone ever notice that there are no California online tobacco retailers.  Take a wild guess why.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Brlesq

Quotemetalhead y cigarguy - 10/14/2011  2:11 AM

Just an FYI regarding BestCigarPrices.com.  They are moving their warehouse and operations to Pennsylvania and should be completely moved by the end of the year.  Those living in NY state will be able to purchase from them soon.

Great, I can finally buy from them soon, but didn't you have a recent mold issue with cigars you ordered from them?  :confused:
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

NES Tek

Quotegitfiddl - 4/20/2011  4:19 AM

I take it then no one's coming to the west coast to visit?
 :-(
 :lmao:
"A good cigar is like tasting a good wine: you smell it, you taste it, you look at it, you feel it - you can even hear it. It satisfies all the senses." - Anonymous

"You play five years in a Jimmy Buffett cover band and see what your freakin' wardrobe looks like, butthole!" - gitfiddl

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.