TTT Cigar # 5!

Started by Bob Cordell, 04/07/2008 08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Cordell

I might get a chance to fire it up tonight, maybe at half time of the game. This is the last one left to review! I have really enjoyed this experience. Thanks emind for the great idea, that was a neat idea! If not tonight, it will be soon.
"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

NewGuy

Larry, let me apologize for potentially ruining the stick you submitted to the TTT. Here are details if you can stand it:

It was a nice evening, water to drink outside my house.

The cigar assaulted my palate and choked my airway all the while burning my nostrils. I hate to think what a second draw might have done! Well, maybe I exaggerate. I had some mechanical difficulties that I could not recover from:

The appearance and construction of this #5 were very nice. 9/10

The light up and 1/3 were VERY difficult as a run developed during lighting. About an inch and a half of burn along one side and from there it was a headache to get the thing lit. Never had this happen before so I don't know if it were operator error or a construction glitch. I do know that I got light headed trying to get the rest of the stogie lit! 2/10

The second third was more of the same with half the cigar not burning well and the other burning fast. I knocked off the the two inch cherry and went for a relight. 1/10

Last third became an even burn but I can't tell you much about it because of my aggrevation getting to a well lit cigar and my physical exhaustion from the required effort! Just a bad event. 4/10

The end was a pleasant relief. Two good draws of full smoke in moderate complexity. 7/10

Overall, I hope I learn what I did wrong or never get a badly made cigar again! Average 4.6
Rack

"Man is not an island"

Bob Cordell

Ok, I decided to go ahead and start the reviews on number 5...

Prelight Notes: Very nice aroma and the wrapper was a natural which was kind of veiny with a unique looking cap. The smell was very nice and spicy. The prelight draw tight and couldn't tell much about it. 7/10

The 1st third: Dammitt, I got another tight one! Grrrrrrrr, the draw was very tight and I didnt get much smoke at all. I noted faint nutty notes from the smoke I did get. I tried a re-clip and stuck a tooth pick in the end with not much success. Maybe if I lay it down it might open up somewhat. The ash was nice and white. 5/10

2nd third: I'm sucking harder then Ginger Lynn here but can hardly get any smoke what so ever, its very frustrating. The small bit of smoke I am getting has notes of nuts still, with a bit of a leathery flavor. I think this would be a very nice cigar if I could get anything at all out of it! The amount of smoke decreases, I'm sad...I tried squeezing and rolling it around in my fingers to no avail...I'm getting dizzy from toking so hard. I must lay it down again.4/10

I'm sorry but  I must throw in the towel on this one! I cant get anything out of this cigar. I am very disappointed with this cigar. I think it had potential but I couldn't fight it anymore, I really tried though! 3/10

In summary I dont think my review should count. I clearly got a dud cigar. I hope the provider dosen't take it personal but this smoke was impossible and I had to toss it. 3/10... maybe a 4.5 overall, but thats not a fair review!

I really liked participating in this pass and would love to do it again.

emind56

damn sounds like both smokes had some construction issues....that sucks!!!  just out of curiosity what RH do you guys store your smokes at?

Bob Cordell

Mine usually stays between 65 and 68 RH. I struggled with this cigar. I never have problems any other time to speak of...

emind56

QuoteBob Cordell - 4/8/2008  8:34 AM

Mine usually stays between 65 and 68 RH. I struggled with this cigar. I never have problems any other time to speak of...

Strange, luck of the draw then I guess :confused:

NewGuy

Has the ID of this #5 been taken from the hermetically sealed mayonnaise jar and announced to the public yet?
Rack

"Man is not an island"

ljlemer

QuoteNewGuy - 4/16/2008  8:25 PM

Has the ID of this #5 been taken from the hermetically sealed mayonnaise jar and announced to the public yet?

Anyone hasn't smoked theirs yet?
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

Bob Cordell

I think were through...

ljlemer

QuoteBob Cordell - 4/17/2008  9:24 PM

I think were through...

I need certainty.

Thomas Mann

ljlemer

Quoteljlemer - 4/17/2008  11:14 PM

I think were through...

I need certainty.

You guys don't seem to care. Here it is: Astral Toro. Cigarbid says: Constructed of aged Cuban seed long-leaf Honduran tobaccos and shade grown Connecticut seed wrapper leaves grown in the famed Jamastran valley of Honduras, Astral is a majestic looking cigar. Characterized by its consistently great construction, handsome appearance, and creamy smoke, this is one of the best Honduran cigars on the market. Would they lie?

My review said: 3.5 stars. Pretty good tasting medium cigar. Had trouble puffing the first quarter, as if there was an invisible leak. Smoked it down to the end. That was on 12/3/07. Then they rested in my humidor until you got them. So they really sucked? Sorry. Write a review.

Thomas Mann

ljlemer

Quoteljlemer - 4/23/2008  4:26 PM

Quoteljlemer - 4/17/2008  11:14 PM

I think were through...

I need certainty.

You guys don't seem to care. Here it is: Astral Toro. Cigarbid says: Constructed of aged Cuban seed long-leaf Honduran tobaccos and shade grown Connecticut seed wrapper leaves grown in the famed Jamastran valley of Honduras, Astral is a majestic looking cigar. Characterized by its consistently great construction, handsome appearance, and creamy smoke, this is one of the best Honduran cigars on the market. Would they lie?

My review said: 3.5 stars. Pretty good tasting medium cigar. Had trouble puffing the first quarter, as if there was an invisible leak. Smoked it down to the end. That was on 12/3/07. Then they rested in my humidor until you got them. So they really sucked? Sorry. Write a review.

25 hours later nobody from the blind test group has any comment? It's so last month? Been there done that?

Thomas Mann

kgoings

I liked the BTT, it just seems like there were too many, maybe doing it with 4 people instead of 5.Was this cigar the one you had pics of with burn problems?

ljlemer

Quotekgoings - 4/24/2008  7:03 PM

I liked the BTT, it just seems like there were too many, maybe doing it with 4 people instead of 5.Was this cigar the one you had pics of with burn problems?

I never got tired of it and would do it again. Do you really think, after posting those bad burn pics months ago, I would send you guys that same cigar?
I grabbed the only decent cigars in my humidor of which I had 4 copies. Maybe I should've gone out and bought 4 better cigars, but emind said quality didn't matter.

I think the cigar in the pic was a Gurkha. They vary very widely in quality.

Thomas Mann

kgoings

I didnt know, I didnt have any burn problems...but from the description of one of the reviews it painted a picture in my head of that picture.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.