Pass routing suggestion?

Started by gitfiddl, 05/26/2011 08:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitfiddl

I've noticed that, in a couple of the passes I've been in, the routing makes no sense.  A pass will go from the East Coast to the West Coast, and back and forth.  A more circuitous route makes more sense to me.  If I might so bold as to suggest C&Ping all the addresses into Mapquest or the like in an effort to find the shortest distances between participants in any given pass.  Not only would doing so shorten transit times, it might also lessen shipping costs.  Just a suggestion...

:biggrin:
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

cocon

Someone hacked gitfiddl's account - this suggestion sounds like it might be based on a good idea!?!

:rolleyes:
WOOOOO - Ric Flair

Train, say your prayers, and eat your vitamins - Hulk Hogan

Rebecca Silverwolf

Most of the passes I've been in have already latched on to this idea. Maybe not so far as mapquesting, but still trying to map out a route that makes sense and reduces shipping time.
"Well, we may not have parted on the best of terms. I realize certain words were exchanged. Also certain... bullets."

"If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."

-Captain Malcolm Reynolds

SenorPablo

Agree.  That was one of the reasons why i added the ability to reorder the pass members.  Definitely makes sense.

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

jharrisx5

I know that the couple of passes I have going I tried to coordinate shipping that way...for the reasons given above.  Typically I try to send it the longest first and have the distances get shorter as the box gets heavier.  Just my .02
Puff Puff Give....

metalhead y cigarguy

I noticed that too but didn't feel it was appropriate to comment on a pass that I was not involved in. It definitely does make sense cost wise and for minimizing the time the cigars are in transit.
I'm a Guru playing a Guru disguised as another Guru. 

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=metalhead+y+cigarguy

Instagram: metalhead_cigarguy

DonM

The other side of it....if you do the order by geographical location, you inevitably will deal with the same 3 of 4 people in sending the pass to.  Not that that is bad, just saying

"The Curmudgeon"

Brlesq

QuoteDonM - 5/27/2011  7:15 AM

The other side of it....if you do the order by geographical location, you inevitably will deal with the same 3 of 4 people in sending the pass to.  Not that that is bad, just saying

I'm with Don on this.  I liked that Shukpaw mixed up the route on the 4th of July Pass so that I wasn't receiving from, or sending to, the same folks.  I'm not suggesting to send it back and forth cross-country, but shuffling it up within the same geographic region doesn't cost any more and at most adds an extra day as opposed to the exact, closest route.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

gitfiddl

QuoteBrlesq - 5/27/2011  8:13 AM

QuoteDonM - 5/27/2011  7:15 AM

I'm with Don on this.  I liked that Shukpaw mixed up the route on the 4th of July Pass so that I wasn't receiving from, or sending to, the same folks.  I'm not suggesting to send it back and forth cross-country, but shuffling it up within the same geographic region doesn't cost any more and at most adds an extra day as opposed to the exact, closest route.

Then what am I supposed to do with all these preprinted stickers I had made with Chip's, Don's and Bob's addresses? :confused:

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Brlesq

Quotegitfiddl - 5/27/2011  8:25 AM
Then what am I supposed to do with all these preprinted stickers I had made with Chip's, Don's and Bob's addresses? :confused:

:lmao:  :lmao:
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

cocon

You mean there are other people than gitfiddl (Dave) to send passes too?    

:shades:  :lmao:  :shades:
WOOOOO - Ric Flair

Train, say your prayers, and eat your vitamins - Hulk Hogan

nwb

I agree with Dave and Don.

Chief of Shaft

87North

Quotenwb - 5/27/2011  8:05 AM

And They're off!!   :rolleyes:
Guru of "Sarcastic Wit and Folksy Wisdom"

Romeo

I think there's to much smoke In this cigar shop I once heard someone say before I threw them out !

gitfiddl

Quotenwb - 5/27/2011  9:05 AM

Nice choice, Captain Fencesitter!

It really doesn't matter much I guess, since most passes are sent priority.  I was just curious if others put any thought to the order.

nwb

Quotegitfiddl - 5/27/2011  9:35 AM
Quotenwb - 5/27/2011  9:05 AM

Nice choice, Captain Fencesitter!

It really doesn't matter much I guess, since most passes are sent priority.  I was just curious if others put any thought to the order.

I've only coordinated one pass, and I did the mapquest thing.  However, I've noticed a number of factors come into play: people being out of town, preferences in the type of cigars, etc.
Chief of Shaft

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.