Mold?

Started by consti, 07/08/2011 01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

consti

So I decided to smoke one of the Camacho Liberty 2010 cigars that I have been aging for a while and I am greeted with a white, thread-like substance on the wrapper of the cigar. I have posted some pictures below.

Anyway, from my experience with mold and plume, my best guess on this was mold. I immediately e-mail the cigar company I purchased these from and they responded to tell me it's plume. I am not stupid and I am fairly educated as a cigar smoker. So gents, What do you think (from the photos,) plume or mold?
-Justin

NES Tek

How's the foot look?
"A good cigar is like tasting a good wine: you smell it, you taste it, you look at it, you feel it - you can even hear it. It satisfies all the senses." - Anonymous

"You play five years in a Jimmy Buffett cover band and see what your freakin' wardrobe looks like, butthole!" - gitfiddl

consti

Thankfully, there is nothing on the foot. Also, I store my cigars at 67-69 RH and for these, I left them in the coffin (since I did not want to break the seals.)
-Justin

lubrix

The first picture on the top of the stick,it looks like plume,but on pictures 2&3 the web like spot substance,looks like mold.I hope I am wrong,cause those are nice sticks.
----
Guru of ruining the moment.

horrido

Looks like plume to me but the color is white I think but do you have any blue or green spots that I would think is mold but my guess you have plume on it. Also, if the foot is clean then I would say your good to go.
"As you approach thirty, you have a thirty ring gauge; as you approach fifty, you have a fifty ring gauge."
-- Cuban saying

Jackal

I think that you have mold.  However, it is in small patches, and not over the foot, so it should wipe off with no ill effects.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Bob Cordell

Mold-shyt-mold!
"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

consti

I feared as much. Oh well, I figure there's no harm since I caught it early. It only reinforces my desire to check through my stock once a month.
-Justin

stogie_foggie

Like everyone said - Mold.  I know you don't want to break the seal on those coffins, but you might want to make sure that the other cigars aren't worse off.  Right now, that will just wipe right off but in time... those might be goners.
"... watch how much evil, which we call crime..."  - Ray Lewis

consti

Yeah, I already opened all of them to check. Looks like it was only a couple of them that had it. I sure am glad I checked on it today.
-Justin

87North

Being in Houston, I'm surprised all your stuff doesn't just mold immediately on arrival... :confused:  :shades:
Guru of "Sarcastic Wit and Folksy Wisdom"

wescat

It is mold; wipe it off and make sure your %RH is correct. The first line of defense against mold is proper storage conditions. The second line of defense against mold is direct visual inspection. So, I never store tobacco in such a way that I cannot visually inspect it at some frequency. Which is why the pics I post of Liberty's are un-coffined and out of the tissue. You can't inspect what you can't see.
The second law chases us all.
In most realms, tranquility comes from ownership.
Order ensues when everyone totes their own water.  
Stand firm, and never let the bastards grind you down.  
Life's arc is primarily charted between ones ears.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

Brlesq

Quotewescat - 7/8/2011  6:22 PM

It is mold; wipe it off and make sure your %RH is correct. The first line of defense against mold is proper storage conditions. The second line of defense against mold is direct visual inspection. So, I never store tobacco in such a way that I cannot visually inspect it at some frequency. Which is why the pics I post of Liberty's are un-coffined and out of the tissue. You can't inspect what you can't see.

You've got a point there, Kevin.  But now with his mold and your good common sense, I now have to go unseal all of my Liberty's.  I don't want to do that!  :-(
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

wescat

QuoteBrlesq - 7/8/2011  7:15 PM

Quotewescat - 7/8/2011  6:22 PM

You've got a point there, Kevin.  But now with his mold and your good common sense, I now have to go unseal all of my Liberty's.  I don't want to do that!  :-(
I savvy, but.............the way I look at it is, the cigar serves me, not I it. And not the seal nor the coffin nor the tissue paper can improve the cigar as much as mold can destroy it. Which is why I practice naked storage. It even sounds more erotic, no??  :biggrin:
Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

ROTHNH

Hard to tell if it's mold from these photos, but I think the easiest way is to inspect the surface of the white area -- if it's plume, it will appear to be somewhat crystalline, almost like dried sugar and thin, without rising above the surface of the wrapper.  If it's mold, it will appear to have have an almost hairy-like surface that rises visibly above the wrapper.  Since you caught it early, I'd use some high proof grain alcohol, such as 100 proof vodka or alcool on a Q-tip or paper towel and carefully rub it off.

If you haven't done so already, I'd check out all your cigars, not just these coffins as mold, under the right conditions, will affect other sticks in your stash as well.

As someone else mentioned, humidity control is crucial and must be kept in check.  A steady 65% RH is recommended.

gitfiddl

Quotewescat - 7/8/2011  8:53 PM
I savvy, but.............the way I look at it is, the cigar serves me, not I it. And not the seal nor the coffin nor the tissue paper can improve the cigar as much as mold can destroy it. Which is why I practice naked storage. It even sounds more erotic, no??  :biggrin:

I still say cigars should stay in cello to avoid wrapper damage.  I've got to the point that I've got a bag of spare cellos from cigars I've smoked that I throw those unwrapped cigars that come my way into.  And "naked storage" sounds more like a term a necrophiliac would use...
 :shades:
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Robert LG

Quote87North - 7/8/2011  5:07 PM

Being in Houston, I'm surprised all your stuff doesn't just mold immediately on arrival... :confused:  :shades:

:word:  You can't believe the level of comfort the vinodor has provided due to our high temps and soggy atmosphere.  Although we are pretty dry this year due to record droughts.  Also, our prevailing winds have been abnormal and thus pushing less moisture from the Gulf inland.
Rob

wescat

Quotegitfiddl - 7/8/2011  8:12 PM

Quotewescat - 7/8/2011  8:53 PM

I still say cigars should stay in cello to avoid wrapper damage.  I've got to the point that I've got a bag of spare cellos from cigars I've smoked that I throw those unwrapped cigars that come my way into.  
I prefer cello too. I've started keeping cello sleeves for the same reason.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

lubrix

I keep mine in cellos also save the leftover cellos.
----
Guru of ruining the moment.

87North

QuoteRobert LG - 7/9/2011  8:09 AM

Quote87North - 7/8/2011  5:07 PM

:word:  You can't believe the level of comfort the vinodor has provided due to our high temps and soggy atmosphere.  Although we are pretty dry this year due to record droughts.  Also, our prevailing winds have been abnormal and thus pushing less moisture from the Gulf inland.

It's been a screwy year all around... We're now in the worst drought for our area in recorded history.   :-(
Guru of "Sarcastic Wit and Folksy Wisdom"

ntanner

i used to store naked but now i have a reserve of cello's so if i get a stick that isnt celloed, i can put one on it. so many advantages and its clear so you can still keep a good eye on the cigars.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

wescat

Consti, I am curious, how did this turn out? From the pic you posted, it looks like you had a full box? How many had the mold?
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.