"The Christians met on the way many people who were going to their towns, women and men, with a firebrand in the hand, and certain weeds whose smoke they inhale which are dry weeds stuffed into a certain dry leaf in the form of a muset made of paper, like the ones the children make on the day of the Holy Ghost; and burning a part of it, from the other part they suck or absorb or admit the smoke with breathing." -Christopher Columbus, from his Navigation diary

Main Menu

Round Robin VI - Spring 2013 Edition

Started by nwb, 02/06/2013 11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nwb

This is a thread generated automatically by the Cigar Pass system to discuss the Cigar Pass named 'Round Robin VI - Spring 2013 Edition'.

Use this link to return back to the Cigar Pass.
Chief of Shaft

nwb

We will limit this to 20 Geeks initially, although I may allow more depending on interest.  The pass will be open for 2 weeks to join.  I will then assign each person a number and then draw numbers to match who sends to whom.  After I've closed the pass, each person has a week to send out their package.  Once all cigars have been received, then I will post a starting date for the reviews.

The three cigars you send should be unbanded & devoid of any identifying packaging. They should be labeled A,B,C (or 1,2,3, or I,II,III -- feel free to go crazy, but don't forget what they are!).  Send a range of cigars:  one 1-4 dollar cigar, one 4-8 dollar cigar, and an 8 plus dollar cigar.  For the purpose of this contest/pass and to be consistent with past Round Robins, we are going to use list prices of cigars (if you got a fantastic deal, use retail).  Your target spend should be in the 16-20 dollar range.  To make the pass a little more interesting, you will send 2 other cigars (making it a 5 cigar pass) that you think the recipient will enjoy.  The extra 2 cigars can be unbanded or banded, but make sure they are clearly labeled as extras.  Please make them respectable cigars!  The only budget cigar should be for the blind review.  Please identify which cigars are the extras, and here's why:

1 Point will be awarded to those who guess correctly which is the high cost, medium cost, and low cost cigar.

3 points will be awarded to those who can name the blender.  In the case where a person blends for another label (i.e. DPG for Tatuaje), you must correctly guess the blender.

5 points will be awarded to those who guess the cigar correctly.  You must correctly guess the vitola, not just the label/manufacturer.

The maximum point total is 18, in which case you correctly guessed the low, mid, and high priced cigars as well as the specific vitolas.  

The one with the most points will receive a premium 5-pack from me.  In the event of a tie, the person who reviewed all three cigars FIRST wins.

Post reviews in the thread as you smoke; there is no need to wait.  In the review, make your guess.  The reviews don't have to be anything fancy - simply something you would post into the reviews database will suffice.  After all three of your reviews are finished, the sender can reveal what the cigars were. The cut off for all reviews will be June 30th, 2013.

The honor system is in place, but if I find out that you were cheating by telling people what they smoked via PM, the prize will go to someone else.  Have fun.

One point - there is a somewhat significant time commitment for this pass between sending the cigars, smoking them, and writing reviews. Keep that in mind when requesting to join as the cut-off for reviews is June 30th, 2013.
Chief of Shaft

Vroomp

Sounds interesting but, do we know who we're sending to before we select cigars? I would hate to select cigars only to send them to someone that is familiar with them all.
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

nwb

Yes, you'll wait.  Right now, we will wait until we have enough members sign up.  Once we have enough, I'll assign who sends to whom, at which point each participant picks the cigars and sends them out.

If you want to check out how it has worked in the past:
http://www.cigargeeks.com/community/forums/thread-view.asp?posts=1&tid=11695
Chief of Shaft

PETE314

I am in if you will have me...

I need to start testing the 'buds'...taste buds that is...(in my best Foghorn Leghorn voice)

At this point tho, I think I will be lucky to get 3 points!!!!
I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken....

What good is it to wear your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????

lowpro75

Me and Eddie should be grandfathered in because we are the inventors of this type of pass.   :biggrin:
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

Vroomp

I'll play if you'll have me Nathan.
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

nwb

@Pete314 - Glad to have you.

@Lowpro - My bad.  Invited those that have moderated this type of pass in the past. :biggrin:

@Vroomp - Hit the "Request to Join" button, and I'll add you.
Chief of Shaft

QuikAF77

"I smoke in moderation, only one cigar at a time."
- Mark Twain

"By the cigars they smoke, and the composers they love, ye shall know the texture of men's souls."
- John Galsworthy

CrazyK

I'm in again! This was a lot of fun last year!
CrazyK
--------------------------
Simia demulcta mitis

nwb

@ QuikAF77 - You're in, and PM sent.

@ CrazyK - Added.  If we can get another Canadian into the pass, I might do something similar to last year and have the two of you pass to each other.  We will see who ends up participating.
Chief of Shaft

Longhorn

Thanks for including me, Nathan.  :rocker:

nirab

The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Beegerply

This one of my favorite passes would love to be in this one
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

nwb

nirab and Beegerply, you guys are in.

We have 10 people so far, and there are four outstanding invitations.  Depending on response in the next couple of days, I might bump this up to 30 people.
Chief of Shaft

DonM

First, thanks for the invite Nathan!  Oh yes, I am in on this one, we are due for another Round Robin and look forward to it!

"The Curmudgeon"

Ken Kelley

Oh, heck yeah! Thanks for the invite, Nathan, this one is a hoot! And if anybody who hasn't tried this before thinks it's easy...think again two or three times! This episode will humble you pretty quick. :biggrin:
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

nwb

Glad to have you Don & Ken.

For some of the newer members, this is also a good pass to gain some street cred.
Chief of Shaft

QuikAF77

Blind reviews are difficult. You get to see what no preconceptions does to your tastebuds.
"I smoke in moderation, only one cigar at a time."
- Mark Twain

"By the cigars they smoke, and the composers they love, ye shall know the texture of men's souls."
- John Galsworthy

Ken Kelley

Quotelowpro75 - 2/6/2013  1:01 PM

Me and Eddie should be grandfathered in because we are the inventors of this type of pass.   :biggrin:

And a fine job you both did! I enjoy this pass above all others. OH SHyT! Did I just compliment Rich? Crap!  :-0
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

DonM

QuoteQuikAF77 - 2/6/2013  4:06 PM

Blind reviews are difficult. You get to see what no preconceptions does to your tastebuds.

Yes, they are difficult!  Reviewing a cigar when you don't know what it is can be challenging and occasionally embarrassing when the results are in.  That's all the fun in it :dancing:

"The Curmudgeon"

nwb

Chief of Shaft

mike.casey

Looks like I made the cut! Thanks Nathan!
Life is hard. It's harder when you're stupid. -John Wayne-

I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke every last one of 'em.
Ron White

Him and his kind get more endangered everyday, and pretty soon the species will just up and fade away. Like the smoke from that torpedo... just up and fade away. -Old Hippie, Bellamy Brothers-

nwb

Quotemike.casey - 2/6/2013  10:14 PM

Looks like I made the cut! Thanks Nathan!

Welcome!

We have 13 so far with two outstanding invites.  Who else wants in?
Chief of Shaft

zac

I'd love to play again this year.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.