Acurite 00325 Digital Hygrometer...

Started by Ted, 05/28/2013 10:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

When picking up a cooler, I also picked up 2 of these hygrometers from Walmart for $9 each.  After picking them up, I noticed they seemed to fluctuate wildly.  They would jump 5% either way after sitting on my counter for an hour.  Same in a glass topped humi I could watch.  Same during a salt test!

I then decided to look for reviews (yeah, kinda backwards).  All I could find were reviews on the Acurite 00613 model from a few years ago.  Besides the case and the display screen setup (same data, just different display mapping), I don't know if there is anything else different between the two.  I don't know which is older/newer, but here is an image of the 325 and 613 for reference...

Acurite 00325

Acurite 00325

Acurite 613

Acurite 00613 

All (or most) of the reviews for the 613 similarly complained about the inaccuracy.  I did find one reviewer who claimed to have drilled holes in the back of his to increase air flow through the device and he then was happy with it.  Looking at my 325, I noticed that his comments about lack of airflow into the sensor applied to mine as well.  On the back, there were indentations that I believe were meant to allow air flow, but most had no opening at all and a few had a tiny pin prick (visible when holding the back of the case up to a light after separating from the main unit by 4 small screws).

Since I already had them, I figured what the heck.   I screwed the backplate back on and used a small flat head screwdriver to gently punch in the indentations.  They were pretty easy to push in without too much force, except for the top two on each side.  These are closest to the circuit board, so I decided not to force them.  I then did the salt test again with both units in the same bag.  Within 4 hours one was reading 74% and the other 75%.  At 5 hours they both read 75%.  I checked them hourly on average until about 12 hours total time with no change.  After about 8 hours additional they still both read 75%.  I waited 4 more hours with no deviations (checked hourly).

Punched 

After the quick fix, I am super happy with these hygros.  They are quite a bit larger than the puck style units, so I would not recommend them for a small humi (work great in my coolidor).  The fact that they show a high and low for the past 24 hours is nice to have though, especially if you're worried about fluctuations.  I was worried about temps, but glad to see a 68 low and 70 high!  They're also pretty cheap.  They are not adjustable, which had me kind of worried, but now that there readings have stabilized I have no complaints.

CrazyK

Good to know! Thanks for the review. I got one of the $5 cheapies on Ebay a few years ago, and barring a couple battery changes, have had no problems.
CrazyK
--------------------------
Simia demulcta mitis

Brlesq

Thanks for the tip on how to fix these.  I'm getting a tower delivered next week, and was thinking about a remote sensor like this so I wouldn't have to open the door to check.  I think this will fit the bill.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Cigary

I did it the old fashioned way..( I bought a dozen of the 613's ) and put them in a big humi that I have a $100 hygro that keeps perfect RH.....the ones that were within 1 or 2% I kept which was about 7 of them and then I took the others back and did it again so that I had 12 great hygros...that was 3 years ago and the same hygros are still working like clockwork.  I test them every 6 months like I did before and things are wonnerful.

junglepete

I use a few of those types from Walmart. I put a sticker on each one, + or - whatever percentage of humidity is needed to make it accurate according to my other accurate hygrometers. Works great. I might give the hole punching thing a try. Thanks
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

junglepete

I use a few of those types from Walmart. I put a sticker on each one, + or - whatever percentage of humidity is needed to make it accurate according to my other accurate hygrometers. Works great. I might give the hole punching thing a try. Thanks
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

ntanner

Good info, I saw those but was leary of getting one for my cabinet but with the modification you did it seem's like a good idea now. Thanx.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Longhorn

Great information - reasonably priced and worth a try!  Thanks for posting.

Ted

QuoteCigary - 5/28/2013  5:19 PM  I did it the old fashioned way..( I bought a dozen of the 613's ) and put them in a big humi that I have a $100 hygro that keeps perfect RH.....the ones that were within 1 or 2% I kept which was about 7 of them and then I took the others back and did it again so that I had 12 great hygros...that was 3 years ago and the same hygros are still working like clockwork.  I test them every 6 months like I did before and things are wonnerful.

I'm curious if you noticed a size difference in the vents for the ones that performed better?

Either way, another nice option!  These units are a bit bigger and require a little extra work to get going, but the additional data, larger screen, and cheap price make them worthwhile choices I think.

Bob Cordell

Oh I thought you said "acute" 00325 hygro, made me think of a joke...

Cowboy picks up a ol' gal at a bar, they go back to her place and she starts undressing. She says to him " I need to tell you that I have acute angina"

He says " I hope so cause' those are two of the ugliest titties I've ever saw"

:biggrin:
"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

1029henry

"What a kid I got, I told him about the birds and the bees and he told me about the butcher and my wife"

"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them"

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met"
-Rodney Dangerfield

Ted

QuoteBrlesq - 5/28/2013  5:06 PM  Thanks for the tip on how to fix these.  I'm getting a tower delivered next week, and was thinking about a remote sensor like this so I wouldn't have to open the door to check.  I think this will fit the bill.

I did consider trying one of the units with a wireless sensor, but then I figured that would take away an excuse to "browse" my coolidor!

Anyway, I noticed that with my Oust fans, my RH is back to 70% within 15 minutes of closing the lid.  That's after having it open for about 10 minutes while playing around.

Ted

QuoteBob Cordell - 5/28/2013  8:32 PM  Oh I thought you said "acute" 00325 hygro, made me think of a joke...  Cowboy picks up a ol' gal at a bar, they go back to her place and she starts undressing. She says to him " I need to tell you that I have acute angina"  He says " I hope so cause' those are two of the ugliest titties I've ever saw"    :biggrin:

:biggrin:

All right, that was good.  Just no hygrometer sex jokes!  This is serious business!

lubrix

----
Guru of ruining the moment.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.