December's Geek Critique (Last Two Weeks)

Started by nwb, 11/11/2013 05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nwb

This critique has been generously cosponsored by Chris Harper of Perdomo (http://www.perdomocigars.com/home.html) & Vroomp (Brad). Thank you for your generosity!

The Chosen Cigar: Perdomo Habano Maduro Toro

The Chosen Reviewers:

Chewedgum
jharrisx5
McBryde
Rebecca Silverwolf
tvolball

This cigar shall be reviewed no later than December 10th.

Thanks again to Chris and Brad!

Happy Smokin' gents! :smoker:
Chief of Shaft

Vroomp

Thank you Nathan!

I would like to have volunteers for this critique.

If you have not done or are not scheduled to do a critique in the next two or previous three months reply to this thread and I will pick the other four Geeks for this cigar review. I have already chosen Chewedgum (Ryan) for one spot, if he accepts, and need four more folks interested. I will choose 4 on Thursday before I leave town so I can get these sticks in the mail. No worries on resting the cigars since I have had these sticks in my humi for over a year now.

Thanks geeks!

Don't forget to read the critique articles and familiarize yourself with the format for the review....

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=articles;sa=view;article=42

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=articles;sa=view;article=39

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

jharrisx5

Puff Puff Give....

Vroomp

Guess no one likes Perdomo around here........

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.

akira

I think I meet your qualifications.  I'll volunteer.

Thanks!
"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed - Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.'" -Jack Handy

LawDaddy

I had a Lot 23 last night that was fantastic.  Alas, I am in a January critique or would have volunteered.

tvolball

I'll give it shot. Never had a Perdomo
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

Mautrak

I'd volunteer, but I just did a geek critique in October.  So it's not that we don't love you (or the Perdomos), but that we don't qualify!

Vroomp

I may get back to you if no other new blood turns up but, I'd like to give a chance to folks that haven't done one in a while or ever......

nwb

Thanks Brad for generating some new blood for the reviews.  Looking forward to the reviews!
Chief of Shaft

Vroomp

Vroomp

C'mon geeks I just need a couple more names!

gpd4

I'd do it, but I'm on for January...
My greatest fear in life is that when I die, my wife sells my things for what I told her I paid for them...

Mautrak

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

Come on, guys!  A free cigar to review?  And the new guys aren't jumping on this?  Toss your hat the ring.  Raise your hand.  Sign up.  Do it!

Either that, or all the new guys are sick.  What I heard was, um, all the new guys are sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw all the new guys pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Vroomp

Maybe it's this thread they won't read..... How about a contest?

Ted

Sorry to go off-topic, but I just have a quick question.  Is the standard to start a cigar with 100 points and then deduct for flaws, or start at the bottom or somewhere in the middle and add/deduct points?  Any more detailed links on how to review a cigar on the 100 point system?

Mautrak

QuoteVroomp - 11/13/2013  3:18 PM

Maybe it's this thread they won't read..... How about a contest?

That might do it, Brad.  It looks like you've got Ryan, Jason, Mike and Troy signed up and apparently eligible.  How about putting the pressure on to get the final person?  I was going to suggest whoever guessed closest to the total offensive yards in tomorrow night's Colts/Titans game, but you need to have this done by Thursday it looks like.

How about whoever guesses the closest to the overnight low temperature tonight/tomorrow morning in Punxsatawney PA?   The posts would have to be made by 9:00 PM tonight Eastern time, and by tomorrow morning you'd know the low temperature.

Vroomp

TED>

I start with 100 and deduct....

http://www.honestcigarreviews.com/articles-on-cigars/reviewing-a-cigar-what-to-look-for

The Geek Critique Review Process
The "Geek Critique" is  another valuable service provided by the Cigar Geeks community.  These  are more in-depth reviews that are performed by selected members who  have been specifically invited and have agreed to accept the task.  The  format is typically that of 5 separate reviewers of the exact same  vitola.

The reviews are based on the more traditional 100 point scale and divided between various measurable characteristics including:
  • Pre-Light (20 points)
  • Lighting and Burning (15 points)
  • Construction (30 points)
  • Flavor and Aroma (35 points)
Each  characteristic includes a point rating as well as a summary of the  reviewer's experience of that aspect of the cigar.  There is also an  overall summary of the experience that ties it all together.  The  ratings and comments are entered via a web form that will pull  everything together and present it back to the community in an article  format with an overall rating.

Mautrak

QuoteTed - 11/13/2013  3:24 PM

Sorry to go off-topic, but I just have a quick question.  Is the standard to start a cigar with 100 points and then deduct for flaws, or start at the bottom or somewhere in the middle and add/deduct points?  Any more detailed links on how to review a cigar on the 100 point system?

When you do the review it's broken down into sections, with each section (construction, flavor, pre-light, etc.) all broken down with points allocated to each section.  Then you award as you see fit within that range for each section.  It's very (not really) scientific.

Ted

Longhorn

QuoteVroomp - 11/12/2013  5:08 PM

I may get back to you if no other new blood turns up but, I'd like to give a chance to folks that haven't done one in a while or ever......

Hola! My name is HongLorn.  I am new here. I want to try new cigars and help on this great site as much as I can.  I have learned much already from the knowledge and experience of you great cigar people.  Now I want to smoke a cigar for your taste test.  :biggrin:

Ted

QuoteLonghorn - 11/13/2013  5:13 PM  
QuoteVroomp - 11/12/2013  5:08 PM  I may get back to you if no other new blood turns up but, I'd like to give a chance to folks that haven't done one in a while or ever......
Hola! My name is HongLorn.  I am new here. I want to try new cigars and help on this great site as much as I can.  I have learned much already from the knowledge and experience of you great cigar people.  Now I want to smoke a cigar for your taste test.  :biggrin:

:spammer:  :spamcan:  :spammer:  :spamcan:

:biggrin:  

Mautrak

QuoteLonghorn - 11/13/2013  4:13 PM
hance to folks that haven't done one in a while or ever......

Hola! My name is HongLorn.  I am new here. I want to try new cigars and help on this great site as much as I can.  I have learned much already from the knowledge and experience of you great cigar people.  Now I want to smoke a cigar for your taste test.  :biggrin:[/QUOTE]

Obviously a spammer, and a good one at that.  He's managed to make it look like he's been here a long time and has many posts.  Spammer!  Spammer!  Brad (or whatever his name is) spammer!

The Burn Ward

Longhorn

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.