New Vinodor

Started by Hot Stuff x, 05/20/2009 03:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot Stuff x

I picked up a new 28 bottle thermo-electric wine fridge on base today for $80.  They had a 220v and a 110v version, so I picked up the 110v version and a friend I was with got the 220v (last two units they had). 

I'm going to retire my Coleman Coolerdor and replace with this wine fridge.  I can't run my air conditioner here all the time, so I will be using this to regulate temp, and use beads for humidity.  

I'll post up some photos as the project progresses.

LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

BlackIrish

Very cool!  You've really made the jump to hyperspace now.
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

Hot Stuff x

Pix:   hoping to get some cedar trays/shelves in there in the near future.

Alternate text  whatever  screw the alt text

LES

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

dphilli2

80 bucks, that is a great deal... I think  :confused: I haven't really compared prices, but $80 sounds reasonable considering a like size humidor would be way more expensive.

Jackal

Congrats on your purchase.  I keep thinking of doing the same here.  AC is ridiculous expensive to run in the summer.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Bob Cordell

"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

smoke 1

very nice.  I picked up a 28 bottle or soo wine cooler off of Craigs list for 50 bucks and I was thrilled.  I need to post some pictures of it on here.  I love it!!

Brian
-Brian

Hot Stuff x

Most of the name brand 28-count coolers I've seen are in the $200-300 range, so if you can find one new or in good used condition for $100 or less, you're doing damn good.

Of course mine is a no-name, but who knows, probably made in the same factory as some name brand units, just doesn't have the name badge on it.  I'm glad I picked it up.

LES

lowpro75

That is pretty sweet.  Maybe I'll do something like that some day.
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

mountedshriner

My wine cooler humi temp control only goes to 65 degrees! That's a tad on the cool side for a humi. It usually stays cool enough in the house that I don't need to turn it on and the beads keep the humidity at 70%. I believe that I read somewhere on the threads that you can replace the controler and set it for seventy degrees. Anybody aware of this little goodie? :confused:
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Hot Stuff x

Quotemountedshriner - 5/21/2009 11:05 PM My wine cooler humi temp control only goes to 65 degrees! That's a tad on the cool side for a humi. It usually stays cool enough in the house that I don't need to turn it on and the beads keep the humidity at 70%. I believe that I read somewhere on the threads that you can replace the controler and set it for seventy degrees. Anybody aware of this little goodie? :confused:

I never heard of doing that.  I'm sure it's possible, but not sure if it's practical.  

I've been doing quite a bit of reading on the subject of vinodors, and I don't think 65 degrees will be a problem as long as I can keep the humidity up in the 65-70% range.   Actually here in Korea, keeping the humidity down to 70% is the issue in the summertime.  I'm using one pound of Heartfelt 65% beads, but will add more if needed.  Also I have plugged the drain, but may need to unplug it if the humidity is getting too high.  It has really been sweating a lot since I turned it on.  Been raining here today, so the humidity is really high.

LES

mountedshriner

QuoteHot Stuff x - 5/21/2009  6:36 AM

Quotemountedshriner - 5/21/2009 11:05 PM My wine cooler humi temp control only goes to 65 degrees! That's a tad on the cool side for a humi. It usually stays cool enough in the house that I don't need to turn it on and the beads keep the humidity at 70%. I believe that I read somewhere on the threads that you can replace the controler and set it for seventy degrees. Anybody aware of this little goodie? :confused:

I never heard of doing that.  I'm sure it's possible, but not sure if it's practical.  

I've been doing quite a bit of reading on the subject of vinodors, and I don't think 65 degrees will be a problem as long as I can keep the humidity up in the 65-70% range.   Actually here in Korea, keeping the humidity down to 70% is the issue in the summertime.  I'm using one pound of Heartfelt 65% beads, but will add more if needed.  Also I have plugged the drain, but may need to unplug it if the humidity is getting too high.  It has really been sweating a lot since I turned it on.  Been raining here today, so the humidity is really high.

Thanks Les. Without running the unit I can keep it at about 70/70 (heat & humi) but once the temp starts to get in the  90/100 degree range I will have to run the Vinotemp to keep the temp down. I will keep a close eye on my stash and see if there are any issues w/a 65/70 combo. I think opening the drain in a high humidity situation may be a great idea. Thanks for the input.

Dennis

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Hot Stuff x

UPDATE:

After leaving the door to the vinodor open for a couple of days, I plugged in the vinodor and ran it for a day with a box of baking soda in there to absorb any remaining odor.  Then I took out the baking soda and added some empty cigar boxes and spare cedar dividers, a pound of Heartfelt 65% RH beads, and a humistat.  I waited a couple of days for the humidity to stabilize, but really it seemed okay after just a few hours.

I added cigars, and the humidity did drop a bit, but was back up to 65% by the next day.

Here is the result:

Hot Stuff

LES

markinde

Looks great and it's already full too.
"Women are most like fine cigars...The good ones leave you wanting to have another. But unfortunately most women get jealous when you have another right after them." - Mark L.
"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=markinde

Hot Stuff x

Yeah, I didn't realize it would fill up so fast.  I was hoping to replace my cooler with something more eye-pleasing.  My cooler was full, and this vinodor only holds about 2/3 as much as the cooler.  Actually, I was able to get most of the cigars from the cooler in there, but I guess the air wasn't circulating becuause the humidity was not even throughout the 'fridge--so I tried not to pack it too full.

I have some custom shelves/drawers on order, and hopefully that will help me organize better and put more 'gars in there. 

LES

Jackal

That is a beautiful sight indeed.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Hot Stuff x

I think I'm about done setting up this vinodor.  I ordered some custom made drawers and shelves (solid Spanish cedar), which is a big improvement over the wire shelves.  My setup:

Slot 1    Space containing computer fan with LED lights, some 65% RH Heartfelt beads (in tubes) and boxed cigars

Slot 2  -----------Slotted shelf, spanish cedar--------------------------

Slot 3------------Single height drawer, spanish cedar with glass top-----------------

Slot 4------------Single height drawer, spanish cedar with glass top-----------------

Slot 5 ------------Single height drawer, spanish cedar with glass top-----------------

Slot 6------------Single height drawer, spanish cedar with glass top-----------------

Slot 7 (see below)

Slot 8-----------Double Height Drawer, spanish cedar with glass top---------------

Slot 9  empty

Slot 10  space contains boxed cigars, cedar tray for singles, tubed beads and computer fan with led lights 

Slot 11 empty

Slot 12 -----------Slotted shelf, spanish cedar--------------------------

Bottom (floor of vino):  about 1 lb of 65% RH heartfelt beads in the bottom of the vinodor, and a catch basin for water runoff.

LES

Hot Stuff x

Hot Stuff          

My vino as of November 2009.   The 300 count humi on top of the vinodor is my on deck, ready-to-smoke humidor. 

LES

Hot Stuff x

vino    vino

Here you can see the PC fans top and bottom, the slotted shelves and some of the humi bead tubes

LES

Hot Stuff x

drawers pulled

here you can see the drawers...the bottom still has the glass on it...glass removed from the one above it.

LES

Hot Stuff x

double height drawer

this is the double height drawer...takes up two vinodor slots, but holds more than two single height drawers.

This is my longer term storage drawer.

LES

Hot Stuff x

LES

Hot Stuff x

LES

Hot Stuff x

LES

Hot Stuff x

LES

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.