REVISED SUPERBOWL XLVIII CONTEST - PICK YOUR STICKS!

Started by conditionZero, 01/21/2014 12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

conditionZero

Okay geeks, hopefully we have this all ironed out now. Thanks for all of the suggestions, and keep in mind when talking about me behind my back that we're sort of just slapping this together last minute.

This is how it will work: I assume that most people are familiar with how a football square works, so I won't go into great detail. Let me know if you aren't clear. One cigar buys one square - five cigar buy in. There will be one winner per quarter of the game. The winner will be determined by the last digits of the score at the end of each quarter. For example, if Seattle has 21 and Denver has 28 then the square that intersects with the 1 on the Seattle side and the 8 on the Denver side is the winner.

The buy in will be in five cigar (five squares) increments. No more than five squares per participant, so that there is room for all who want in. If, at 6:00 PM on January 29th, there are still empty squares then they're up for grabs to whoever would like them.

If there are still empty squares at noon ET on game day, then they will be assigned as follows... Everyone who's already in play will have their name thrown in a hat, once for each square they own. In other words, if you bought five, then your name will go in five times. If you bought ten, then your name goes in ten times. Names will be drawn and assigned to the empty squares from left to right, top to bottom. These extra squares will not increase the pot size, nor obligate anyone to more cigars than they already put up.

Squares will be chosen as follows: I will make a list with all participants names. Your name will be listed once for each square that you bought. Using a random number generator, I will assign a number to each name and it will be placed on the grid on the corresponding square. Then, once again using a random number generator, the columns and rows will be numbered.

Prior to game time, post the list of cigars that you will be betting. Cigars are to be within the $5-$10 range, using CI or Cigar.com box pricing.

After the game is over, the winners will choose their cigars in the round robin style format. They will be choosing in the same groups of five that were bet by the others. The order of the choosing will be final score, 3rd quarter, 2nd quarter, 1st quarter. The winners will not have to put their bets in the pot for others to choose. Simply put, the pot will consist of just the cigars put up by the losers. The exception to this is if you buy ten squares but only win one quarter. Then you will have to put five cigars in the pot. You're free to choose your own cigars, but they will count as one of your picks.

Once all of the choosing is done, the losers will ship the cigars to the winner that chose them.

In order to participate you must have a feedback rating of 2, and at least 100 points. If you believe you warrant an exception then please PM me.

I'm sure I missed something, but if we all keep in mind the spirit of the contest then I'm sure everything will work out. It is, after all, just for fun. 

Participants

LawDaddy (5 squares) 

johncw (5 squares) 

StogieDad (5 squares) 

mike.casey (5 squares) 

Cfickter  (5 squares) 

BewareDaPenguin (5 squares) 

conditionZero (5 squares) 

bstessl (5 squares) 

nirab (5 squares)

CrazyK (5 squares)

Vroomp (5 squares)

Caveman Steve (5 squares) 

PETE314 (5 squares)

Chrism305 (5 squares)

IndyGopher (5 squares)

jumberlack1 (5squares)

williegstyles (5 squares)

akira (5 squared)

nwb (5 squares) 

JRodzilla (5 squares) 

100 squares total 

--JOE--

I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink.  Joe E. Lewis

StogieDad

Perfect!  Clear as can be brother!
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

mike.casey

Yep!

And if you have any more suggestions post them in the other thread, and I'm sure they will be kept in mind for NEXT YEAR...
Life is hard. It's harder when you're stupid. -John Wayne-

I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke every last one of 'em.
Ron White

Him and his kind get more endangered everyday, and pretty soon the species will just up and fade away. Like the smoke from that torpedo... just up and fade away. -Old Hippie, Bellamy Brothers-

BewareDaPenguin

Sounds great! The only thing I had originally suggested is everyone mail there cigars 2 u Joe, as the moderator is MUCH MUCH cheaper if every geek sent u there 5-sticks along w $1 to cover the shipping cost of the winners. It's cheaper for 1 geek to send out 4 packages (roughly $20) then 20 geeks to send out 4 packages each (roughly $400)....that way u can put the round robin choices together or jus divide up the winnings evenly. I'm sure nobody would complain about winning 20 cigars! Also my thought was if ur putting up the sticks as a wager you wouldn't mind getting different sticks even if you won....

I love all the work put in on this and it's def coming along!

I guess can we mail our cigars to you Joe since you are moderating the game? Thanks again for stepping up.

Dang sorry!!! I was typing when I saw I was 2 put this in the other thread. Even tho it's still a viable question? I don't mind 1 way or the other about shipping jus makes more sense 2 me if everyone shipped there sticks 2 Joe along w $1 and he can separate them out accordingly
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

CrazyK

I would love to participate but the likelihood of sending out 4 packages seems a little daunting... Is it possible that we all send in our bets to a central person with a couple bucks to cover the prize shipping? That way all the cigars would be in one place, and shipping charges would be covered by the participants? Just a thought...
CrazyK
--------------------------
Simia demulcta mitis

CrazyK

QuoteBewareDaPenguin - 1/21/2014  3:53 PM

Sounds great! The only thing I had originally suggested is everyone mail there cigars 2 u Joe, as the moderator is MUCH MUCH cheaper if every geek sent u there 5-sticks along w $1 to cover the shipping cost of the winners. It's cheaper for 1 geek to send out 4 packages (roughly $20) then 20 geeks to send out 4 packages each (roughly $400)....that way u can put the round robin choices together or jus divide up the winnings evenly. I'm sure nobody would complain about winning 20 cigars! Also my thought was if ur putting up the sticks as a wager you wouldn't mind getting different sticks even if you won....

I guess can we mail our cigars to you Joe since you are moderating the game? Thanks again for stepping up.

We think alike! We even posted this suggestion at the same time! :-)
CrazyK
Simia demulcta mitis

conditionZero

There won't be four packages to send out. The five sticks you put up will be chosen by just one winner. If you buy ten spots, then you may have to send them to two separate winners.
--JOE--

I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink.  Joe E. Lewis

BewareDaPenguin

QuoteCrazyK - 1/21/2014  2:54 PM

QuoteBewareDaPenguin - 1/21/2014  3:53 PM

Haha yup makes more sense 2 me if we all mail into joe and let him separate them accordingly?
We think alike! We even posted this suggestion at the same time! :-)

BewareDaPenguin

QuoteconditionZero - 1/21/2014  2:55 PM

There won't be four packages to send out. The five sticks you put up will be chosen by just one winner. If you buy ten spots, then you may have to send them to two separate winners.

Ahhh ok...so jus 1 entire package of sticks not individual sticks makes sense.

CrazyK

QuoteBewareDaPenguin - 1/21/2014  3:56 PM

QuoteconditionZero - 1/21/2014  2:55 PM

Ahhh ok...so jus 1 entire package of sticks not individual sticks makes sense.

Agreed, that makes a lot of sense!

I'm in for 5 squares, I'll post up a list of cigars later today.
CrazyK
Simia demulcta mitis

Cfickter

Good to hear. Thanks for taking the time to work the details
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

mike.casey

Yep, your 5 will be drafted by and sent to one person. If you do 10 or 15 then you may have to send multiple packages depending on the 'draft'.

I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke every last one of 'em.
Ron White

Him and his kind get more endangered everyday, and pretty soon the species will just up and fade away. Like the smoke from that torpedo... just up and fade away. -Old Hippie, Bellamy Brothers-

nirab

I like it when a plan comes together!  :biggrin:  :bigthumbs:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Vroomp

Coulda sworn I read no more than 5 squares per person somewhere in all this........ :confused:

And what's the value on the cigars you send?

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

nirab

QuoteVroomp - 1/21/2014  3:57 PM

Coulda sworn I read no more than 5 squares per person somewhere in all this........ :confused:

And what's the value on the cigars you send?

Prior to game time, post the list of cigars that you will be betting. Cigars are to be within the $5-$10 range, using CI or Cigar.com box pricing.

The buy in will be in five cigar (five squares) increments. No more than five squares per participant, so that there is room for all who want in. If, at 6:00 PM on January 29th, there are still empty squares then they're up for grabs to whoever would like them.

If there are still empty squares at noon ET on game day, then they will be assigned as follows... Everyone who's already in play will have their name thrown in a hat, once for each square they own. In other words, if you bought five, then your name will go in five times. If you bought ten, then your name goes in ten times. Names will be drawn and assigned to the empty squares from left to right, top to bottom. These extra squares will not increase the pot size, nor obligate anyone to more cigars than they already put up.

Hope this helps!
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Vroomp

Hmmm,, I think I read that too just with all this information in my head it was taking a long time to compute.... :biggrin:

And put me down for 5 too!

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

Caveman Steve

"yesterday I did nothing, and today I'm finishing what I did yesterday"

conditionZero

Awesome. We have room for 8 more geeks.
--JOE--

BewareDaPenguin

Nicely done everyone...this started as just an idea but you guys took it by the horns and ran with it! I'm pumped! Everybody had some great input and it looks like we r gonna start a Super Bowl tradition! Thanks 2 Joe who stepped up and is willing 2 moderate this contest!

I see the updated rules & entries and I'm only slightly over on a couple cigars so in the spirit of the Super Bowl I'm going 2 stick with my original 5-pack I posted in the 1st thread!

So Joe are you going to compile a master list with everyone's sticks and post it??

Thanks again 2 everyone this should be a lot of fun and add a little extra 2 the game!! Good luck if your participating! I never win these things and always end up donating lol but like Joe said it's in the spirit of fun!! So we all should have fun with it!!

Re-post my cigars on this thread to make it easy for you Joe

My Sticks:
A Fuente chateau double chateau sun grown
Camacho 10th anniversary toro
Camacho 1962 Pre Embargo
Drew Estate Undercrown Gran Toro
Don Pepin Garcia Flor de Antillas Belicoso

conditionZero

I will indeed compile a list, once everyone has posted them.
--JOE--

Caveman Steve

Just want to make sure I'm clear on this contest since I went back and started to read the original thread and got confused. 

1)  I do not need to select "Squares".  They will be picked randomly by I assume "Condition Zero"

2)  The vertical and horizontal numbers that determine the winners will be selected at random AFTER all 100 squares are accounted for. 

3)  I should post my fiver on this thread,  not the original, as others have already done.

I'm clear on everything else and it makes total sense to me.   

conditionZero

You are exactly correct on all counts.
--JOE--

Caveman Steve

COOL

Here is my fiver.

1)  Don Pepin Garcia Blue label Exquisito (original uncelloed release)

2)  Camacho Triple Maduro 50

3)  Camacho 10th Anniversary Toro Gordo

4)  Humo Jaguar Robusto

5)  Joya De Nicaragua Antano Dark Corojo El Martillo 

:fencing:  

mike.casey

Tat Cojo BL '12; Tat avion '12; EPC Cardinal; DE LP9; Oliva Mad '13

My entry...

Ron White

mike.casey

Ron White

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.