America's oldest living veteran...my visit with Mr. Richard Overton

Started by nirab, 05/23/2015 02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nirab

Today I was blessed with the honor of meeting our nation's oldest living veteran, Mr. Richard Overton. As some of you know, there was a thread posted a couple of weeks ago, telling the story of Mr. Overton, and how he celebrated his 109th birthday. The story told of Mr. Overton sharing hamburgers and shakes with his family and friends. This story also mentioned that some of them, including Mr. Overton, shared cigars while sitting on his front porch. Well, some geeks on here thought it would be cool to send Mr. Overton some cigars, to thank him for his service to our great country, and share our love of cigars with this wonderful man. I offered to collect the cigars, and deliver them in person, since I live in Austin...well, ok, beeuutaful Buda, but it's close  enough! Once I got the cigars, and added some from myself and others, I realized one thing. I have never met this person, and did not know how I would be received when I knocked on his door. I prayed about this leading up to today, and around 9:30am, I had a feeling that this time, right now, was the time to go and try to see Mr. Overton. I pulled up to his house, said a quick prayer, and wandered up to his front door. I rang the doorbell, and though he answered in about 30 seconds, the wait seemed longer than that. Richard slowly opened the door, hesitated, looked up and down at this tattooed, long haired stranger standing on his porch, carrying a green HEB bag full of cigars, and slowly said "Hello". I told him why I was there, and we chatted for a few minutes. I gave him the cigars, and we talked a bit more. Then, thinking we were done, he invited me into his home so that he could share a bit of his life and history with me. I ended up staying for about an hour, listening to his stories, while he showed me pictures, medals, flags, newspaper stories, and so much more. I am in awe of what I experienced today, am truly, truly honored and humbled to have met this wonderful human being. Words cannot begin to describe my experience, but, when I left his house, I felt as though I was flying! My heart was so full of love and humility, I truly felt that I was high on life...and...I was! What a precious gift I was given today, and I thank all of you geeks who made this possible, with your generosity, kindness, and love. Man, what a wonderful gift, this thing we call life... :biggrin:  :angel:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

05Venturer

Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Longhorn

Thanks for making the effort and sharing with us!  He has our collective gratitude a hundred times over!   :thumbsup:

bigjohn20081983

Awesome Brother. To bad you didn't get to smoke one with him but Awesome none the less.
You should hurry up and acquire the cigar habit. It's one of the major happiness's. And so much more lasting than love, so much less costly in emotional wear and tear.
Aldous Huxley

Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace.

Raul Julia

I'D rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=bigjohn20081983

ntanner

Very cool story Brian, Very cool indeed. Thanx for sharing.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

appollo

MT21

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."

Gurkha free zone.

benchjockey

Makes me proud to be a Geek.  Well done Brian.
Richard Overton is a true hero.
You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

Otter

R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

DonM

"The Curmudgeon"

StogieDad

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Rebecca Silverwolf

Very cool. Thanks for taking the time to make the delivery, and thanks for the pictures as well.
"Well, we may not have parted on the best of terms. I realize certain words were exchanged. Also certain... bullets."

"If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."

-Captain Malcolm Reynolds

headfirst

Thanks for letting us be flies on the wall, awesome!
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

terrys1991

"I feel a whole lot more like I do right now, than I did a while ago"

johncw

That is really awesome Brian and thanks for the pics and the story!  :bigthumbs:  :bigthumbs:

biggsy16

Thanks for sharing, we should celebrate great stories like this
Never done being a Dad

Kman

Awesome job Brian!! Thanks for the story, that was great. I can only imagine how humbling and inspiring it would be to meet this man on Memorial Day weekend  :usa:
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

1029henry

That is completely awesome! Thank you Brian for making his day.
"What a kid I got, I told him about the birds and the bees and he told me about the butcher and my wife"

"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them"

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met"
-Rodney Dangerfield

junglepete

Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

horrido

Well done Brian brought a tear to the eye well done again. Great to see kindness and recognition still abounds.
"As you approach thirty, you have a thirty ring gauge; as you approach fifty, you have a fifty ring gauge."
-- Cuban saying

Brlesq

What a heartwarming story! Thanks for sharing, Brian
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

jdwaynes1980

What an awesome experience that must have been. Thanks brother!
Roll Tide!

Cfickter

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

sjn1117

That is truly awesome brother! I can only imagine the incredible stories he can tell. I could listen for hours myself.
why isnt phonetic spelled like it sounds?

The Lone star Guru of F.A.R.T.(firearms, alcohol, ramble, tobacco)

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.