Local guy (MN) liquidating some of his collection on Craigslist

Started by millarddj, 08/18/2015 06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

millarddj

I happened upon this ad on Craigslist, only two days old:

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/for/5175633630.html

There's a bunch of stuff there, and all aged for a number of years. Does anyone recognize anything that might be well worth the trip for the price he's asking? I imagine haggling may be in the picture if I actually took a trip up there, but that's a solid 45 minute drive.

Brian (Ninfiction) may want to take a look at this.
Ex Fumo Dare Lucem

Rammstein142

"There is nothing more agreeable than having a place where one can throw on the floor as many cigar butts as one pleases without the subconscious fear of a maid who is waiting like a sentinel to place an ashtray where the ashes are going to fall."

"Ich kenne keine Parteien mehr, ich kenne nur noch Deutsche!" Kaiser Wilhelm II

"Die Schlacht ist gewonnen , haben die Engländer wurde völlig besiegt." Kaiser Wilhelm II

"Our progress as a nation can be no swifter than our progress in education. The human mind is our fundamental resource." John F. Kennedy

ninfiction

oh yeah there are a few there I'd really be interested in. New Brighton is right next door to me. If you're interested in some I could easily pick them up. He says call or text but I don't see a phone number, going to shoot him and email.

I'd be all over the LFD's and Litto Gomez if he has them still.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

millarddj

Quoteninfiction - 8/18/2015  9:27 PM

oh yeah there are a few there I'd really be interested in. New Brighton is right next door to me. If you're interested in some I could easily pick them up. He says call or text but I don't see a phone number, going to shoot him and email.

I'd be all over the LFD's and Litto Gomez if he has them still.

Terrific!

If he's got any good values (your judgment, really) in the mild to medium/full range, count me interested. I will be in touch with you via PM
Ex Fumo Dare Lucem

Brlesq

Looks like a good deal.  Just make sure they were well cared for and not in his desk drawer for 6 months

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

ninfiction

QuoteBrlesq - 8/18/2015  9:41 PM

Looks like a good deal.  Just make sure they were well cared for and not in his desk drawer for 6 months

Yeah that's my concern, some of them look a little rugged and depending on his camera skills they are either really faded or his lighting is messed up.

Jay'D

Some pretty nice sticks, some i wouldn't mind getting my hands on as long as they are in good conditions. To bad they so out of my neck of the woods.
Last name Hungry first name Always

My hobby collection | http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Jay%27D

StogieDad

They do look pretty dry....I hope it is just photography.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

horrido

There are a few I recognize and have some they are 4 to 5 years but there are some nice oldies in there to. Good grab if you can get them.
"As you approach thirty, you have a thirty ring gauge; as you approach fifty, you have a fifty ring gauge."
-- Cuban saying

jharrisx5

If you go, please pick up the 2002 Liberty...I will make a trade worth your while!
Puff Puff Give....

Cfickter

Some good sticks there but many fairly pedestrian. My concern would be the way the sticks without cellos look.  Take a look at the LGCs, I haven't seen looking that rough along with some of the other lots.  I would say  there were not stored at 70%, they look dry
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Jay'D

QuoteCfickter - 8/19/2015  10:37 AM

Some good sticks there but many fairly pedestrian. My concern would be the way the sticks without cellos look.  Take a look at the LGCs, I haven't seen looking that rough along with some of the other lots.  I would say  there were not stored at 70%, they look dry
I concur, not seeing no kinda sheen at all for sticks that are supposedly that old. Would have been nice if they were in cellos, looks like wear and tear got the best of some of them.
Last name Hungry first name Always

My hobby collection | http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Jay%27D

ninfiction

So I spoke with Ted last night and am meeting him on Friday. He assured me the cigars have been kept in a humidor and are not dried out at all. I'm hoping that's the case and his photos just look really bad because of the lighting.

Jason, I had no idea that was an old Liberty, I assume it's the one with the Camacho flag band. I'll definitely grab it.

If there is anything else aside form the LFDs that you guys think I should grab I will, I'm not sure beside brand name what most of them are exactly and some of them are near impossible to tell from the photos.

StogieDad

Assuming good condition, that looks like an Litto Gomez Small Batch, if you get that for $5 you got a steal.  There are some other good smokes in there like the Montecristo Media Noches, the Edgar Hoil (EH), Fausto and the couple Fuentes, but $5 a stick is not really a steal on those, probably about what they are worth.  The 8-5-8 may be a bit better than $5.  Just my .02.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Jackal

The small batch and the Liberty are definitely worth taking a look at.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Cfickter

Quoteninfiction - 8/19/2015  10:47 AM  So I spoke with Ted last night and am meeting him on Friday. He assured me the cigars have been kept in a humidor and are not dried out at all. I'm hoping that's the case and his photos just look really bad because of the lighting.  Jason, I had no idea that was an old Liberty, I assume it's the one with the Camacho flag band. I'll definitely grab it.   If there is anything else aside form the LFDs that you guys think I should grab I will, I'm not sure beside brand name what most of them are exactly and some of them are near impossible to tell from the photos.

Brian, good luck and I hope he is right but those rough looking LGCs are not from bad lighting.  The first thing I would do is see how tight the band fits. separations in the wrapper and cracking at the foot.  maybe just age
Also he says "100+" but is only showing about 80.  The DPGs are under $5 all day on Cbid.

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

bmac7754

I like the way he says he needs to free up room so he can buy more. This is a vicious cycle I think we all do. Why smoke the ones we have when we can get more.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

Kman

Poor Daniel just got skunked on his find. Not a very hospitable way to treat the new guy who was asking some questions because he's still so new to everything. Maybe we need to bring him back into the conversation about what he'd like and maybe give him a little guidance before we give everything away to everyone else.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

millarddj

:lmao:  :lmao:

I had no idea if what I was seeing was any good, so I take no offense to the crushing of my hopes and dreams! I'll let Brian be my guide here.  :thumbsup:
Ex Fumo Dare Lucem

Kman

Sorry. I just had this vision of a kid coming across his father's baseball card collection and knowing nothing about them so he shares them with a friend who knows about them. The second kid and all his friends who are well versed in baseball cards swoop in and take the Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Roberto Clemente and Nolan Ryan's and leave the kid with the Milt Papas, Rob Deer and Fernando Gonzalez's.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

millarddj

That was a very entertaining analogy.  :biggrin:

But y'all are stogie-smoking gentlemen and not playground bullies. You act tough, but I've seen the noble nougat filling.  :shy:
Ex Fumo Dare Lucem

ninfiction

QuoteKman - 8/19/2015  12:29 PM

Sorry. I just had this vision of a kid coming across his father's baseball card collection and knowing nothing about them so he shares them with a friend who knows about them. The second kid and all his friends who are well versed in baseball cards swoop in and take the Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Roberto Clemente and Nolan Ryan's and leave the kid with the Milt Papas, Rob Deer and Fernando Gonzalez's.

In my defense, Daniel and I have been pm'ing back and forth and I have tried to explain to him to the best of my ability what I saw in the photos. Our original plan was to both meet with the guy on Thursday evening so we could look at the cigars together and I could help Daniel decipher what I thought was worth grabbing and what wasn't.

The timing didn't work out for Tim(the guy selling) so I agreed to meet him on Friday and told Daniel that I was willing to purchase some cigars for him as well if he trusted my judgement enough, I also mentioned that I would be happy "paying" a finders fee.

None of you guys had any way of knowing this as this has been all in pm's between Daniel and I but in no way was I going to step all over his toes and rush to cherry pick before he had a chance at them.

Kman

Quoteninfiction - 8/19/2015  2:39 PM  
QuoteKman - 8/19/2015  12:29 PM  Sorry. I just had this vision of a kid coming across his father's baseball card collection and knowing nothing about them so he shares them with a friend who knows about them. The second kid and all his friends who are well versed in baseball cards swoop in and take the Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Roberto Clemente and Nolan Ryan's and leave the kid with the Milt Papas, Rob Deer and Fernando Gonzalez's.
In my defense, Daniel and I have been pm'ing back and forth and I have tried to explain to him to the best of my ability what I saw in the photos. Our original plan was to both meet with the guy on Thursday evening so we could look at the cigars together and I could help Daniel decipher what I thought was worth grabbing and what wasn't.  The timing didn't work out for Tim(the guy selling) so I agreed to meet him on Friday and told Daniel that I was willing to purchase some cigars for him as well if he trusted my judgement enough, I also mentioned that I would be happy "paying" a finders fee.  None of you guys had any way of knowing this as this has been all in pm's between Daniel and I but in no way was I going to step all over his toes and rush to cherry pick before he had a chance at them.

As Daniel said, we are not a bunch of schoolyard bullies here and I did not mean to accuse anyone of anything, especially you Brian. My point was meant to caution against the excitement of unearthing a buried treasure and, in the euphoria of the moment, getting so far ahead of ourselves that we forget who discovered the treasure. Sounds like all is good and I apologize if I offended anyone, that was certainly not my intention.

But come on 70's era baseball card collectors.... how many of you had the Fernando Gonzalez?? I probably still have at least 3 of them somewhere. :biggrin:

StogieDad

Kerry, I'm not going to lie.  A Ron Deer reference made my day.
-- Winston Churchill

-- Abraham Lincoln

-- Ron Swanson

millarddj

Naw, Brian and I are totally on the same page. I even mentioned leaving feedback for trade/split regarding this transaction (if he buys on my behalf), and it kind of flew over my head that that wasn't obvious to others. At this point, I pretty much inherently trust anyone here, for better or worse (and if a non-geek sees this, meh).

Brian has offered not only to go make the transaction, but to help me with cigar storage. I feel he's being very generous, and since I don't know what's what, he ought to have first stab at the cigs. Besides, this might be a load of moldy old sticks! Only time will tell.  :whistle:
Ex Fumo Dare Lucem

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.