Suggestions for the newb

Started by Cap10_Morgan, 05/03/2017 07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cap10_Morgan

Hey guys.  For those who missed my newbie intro, I have been away from cigars for a few years, but I'm finally coming back.  I need some advise with how to rebuild my stash.  I am basically starting from scratch and need a new humidor and cigars.  I was thinking of going with the 100 capactity 5 Vegas humi on CI.  https://www.cigarsinternational.com/p/5-vegas-tradicion-humidor-combo-ii-samplers/1504027/#p-204685  

1st of all, I want something bigger than my old 30 count.  2nd... I know it's lame, but I kinda like "pretty" humidors.  I like to keep mine out in the living room as a centerpiece and honestly, it's just a little nicer when you offer a smoke to a friend.  So I don't want the same old plain solid  humidor.  The sampler on CI seems kind of like a win-win since it will help stock my humidor at the same time.  Important note, I enjoy a good smoke, but am not the pickiest.  I'm sure I will enjoy just about any decent cigar, but leave the better ones for weekends, etc.  I plan on getting some "bulk cigars" at some point, but honestly don't know where to start for that, so thats another question for everyone.

So... now that I have convinced the wife I need this 5 Vegas humi/cigar combo for father's day, I figure I still have time and will put it to the experts to see see if there is a better deal out there.  If you had $150 to spend on a new humidor and as many cigars as you could, what would you do.  I know most of you would just use tupperware or a cooler and spend the money on the cigars.  It may be wrong, but a decent humidor is a must.  (Plus I think the wife wants to get me one anyway)
"A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores." -Klinger, M*A*S*H

05Venturer

if you are set on only 100-150 count here is a nice one

http://www.cheaphumidors.com/humidors/medium-humidors/broadway-150-count-burl-cigar-humidor-with-mappa-inlay.html

OR

here is what I recently bought from a fellow Geek and love

http://www.cheaphumidors.com/humidors/cabinet-humidors/the-galleria-cabinet-humidor.html

OR

here is a beauty that Paul has for sale on his Flatbed site
http://flatbedcigarcompany.com/Ironside-100_p_233.html
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Cap10_Morgan

All 3 of those would be great!  Only problem is, I wouldn't have any $ leftover for any cigars to start with.  I don't think I'll need more than 100-150 capacity.  I know a lot of people just laughed, but I don't have a huge budget for cigars.  The wife basically let me pick it back up after I quit smoking cigarettes because it's cheaper.  I usually only smoke a couple a week.  Also, I figure if I DO end up needing more space in the future, I don't have a problem doing a coolidor as a secondary.  I guess I just want a pretty one for superficial reasons when friends come over. So basically, for $150 I'm looking for the "prettiest" 100+ humi and as many cigars as I can get.

(On a side note, I'm hoping the wife caves in and one day I end up with a giant cabinet or one of those coffee table humidors, etc etc.)
"A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores." -Klinger, M*A*S*H

Brlesq

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Cap10_Morgan

QuoteBrlesq - 5/3/2017  9:40 PM

Back in the day when I was buying desktop humidors, I got some killer deals on Cigarbid.  That 5 Vegas one you are looking at is currently bid at $43.
 http://www.cigarbid.com/Auction/Search/?BonusBuyOnly=False&IsCatPage=False&AuctionFilters=&CategoryFilters=&SortOrder=relevance&ViewType=Grid&SpecialSearchDisplay=&SpecialSearch=False&keyword=humidor&PageSize=10000

Well dang!  That would leave me $100 for smokes, which should get me more than the 5 vegas sampler that came with this on CI.  Is there anything WRONG with this humidor?  I'm not exactly set on this, but its not a plain jane.  I liked all the ones mentioned earlier, I just don't want the typical solid color plain old humidor you get for free (like i did) with your first sampler, lol.  But this 5 vegas humidor looks like its a little bigger and not plain, and for $43???  Even better!  

So... how would you spend the other $100?  I'd like to get the most bang for my buck.  They don't have to be the best, just "smokeable".  I can deal with only getting a 5er of good/decent cigars a month and smoking yard gars in between.  Thats about my budget, which is why I am looking for advise to give me a head start.  If I only buy good cigars now, I won't be able to keep up with how many I'd like to smoke.

ninfiction

CigarBid and Cigars International are the same company. Everything on CigarBid is the same quality as CI so you don't need to worry there. Just be aware of what you're bidding on and what the actual prices are and you won't get ripped off (bid too much).

Edit: For some cheap smokes I found the Schizo to be very good, they are made by Asylum, just the short/left over filler, about $2 each
This is not the admin you're looking for...

ninfiction

Another good budget smoke is the Arturo Fuente Curly Head, they come in natural and maduro. Chillin' Moose is another good budget stick....that's about the extent of my budget stick knowledge.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

Cap10_Morgan

Thanks!  This is some very helpful info!  Now I'm thinking I can get a new humidor, a box of budget cigars, and have enough left over for a decent sampler.  You guys rock!

bstessl

If you want a nice humidor, spend your money on the humidor, smokes after.  Just my opinion.  You will find budget sticks anytime, the humidor is kind of set once you get it.  Besides, you probably won't have any problems stocking 'round these parts....
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

Cap10_Morgan

Quotebstessl - 5/3/2017  10:22 PM

If you want a nice humidor, spend your money on the humidor, smokes after.  Just my opinion.  You will find budget sticks anytime, the humidor is kind of set once you get it.  Besides, you probably won't have any problems stocking 'round these parts....

Yeah, that's why I want a nice one.  Even my wife wants me to get a "pretty" humidor, lol.  She doesn't like cigars, but appreciates the "elegance" of them compared to cigarettes.  I've talked her ear off about whatever I was smoking at the time, despite her leaning out of the way trying to avoid any smoke going her way, lol.  She was the one that first brought up getting me a new humidor for father's day since I am back into cigars.  I'm just kind of a butt hole and I'm trying to stretch it as much as I can.  If she was willing to spend $150 on that bundle, but I can find a better deal, then why not right?  I think I am definitely going to try to get it from cigarbid and save the rest for cigars (probably also from cigar bid).  I forgot all about that site.  I never used them much in the past because I like variety in cigars more than anything and never bought boxes.  IIRC, cigarbid used to be mostly boxes, but looks like they have a lot more samplers now.

05Venturer

QuoteCap10_Morgan - 5/3/2017  9:12 PM

Thanks!  This is some very helpful info!  Now I'm thinking I can get a new humidor, a box of budget cigars, and have enough left over for a decent sampler.  You guys rock!

One of the better budget smokes out there while they last.

http://www.holts.com/cigars/all-cigar-brands/aka-hybrid.html
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Cfickter

Here is another very nice 100 ct humidor on CBid, also now going for $43 http://www.cigarbid.com/auction/lot/2560022/man-o-war-humidor-100-capacity/

I have three of these and really like them

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Cap10_Morgan

Quote05Venturer - 5/4/2017  8:21 AM

QuoteCap10_Morgan - 5/3/2017  9:12 PM

One of the better budget smokes out there while they last.

http://www.holts.com/cigars/all-cigar-brands/aka-hybrid.html

Those sound interesting.  Ok, maybe I should just get the humi on cbid, and pick up a few of these budget brands you guys are recommending and just wait til next time to start picking up more expensive sticks.  That way, I probably would never have to worry about running out or not having enough in the humi to feel I can smoke one any time I want.

Cap10_Morgan

QuoteCfickter - 5/4/2017  11:00 AM

Here is another very nice 100 ct humidor on CBid, also now going for $43 http://www.cigarbid.com/auction/lot/2560022/man-o-war-humidor-100-capacity/

I have three of these and really like them

Saw that one too after I checked out cbid.  Looks like pretty much the same thing with different brand.  I can't remember if I liked Man o war (not that it matters for the humidor).  I think I tried one and liked it and tried another and hated it.  Actually, I think the same thing happened with 5 Vegas, lol.  Can't remember which though, been too long.  (Actually, I think I did like the 5 Vegas Triple A)

LarryPM

Don't forget to check Craigslist in your area.  I got a 300-count humi full of stick a couple of years ago for $150.00.

Cap10_Morgan

QuoteLarryPM - 5/4/2017  11:37 AM

Don't forget to check Craigslist in your area.  I got a 300-count humi full of stick a couple of years ago for $150.00.

Didn't even think of that!  Unfortunately, I didn't get so lucky, but will definitely keep an eye out.

Jackal

QuoteLarryPM - 5/4/2017  11:37 AM

I got a big 3,000 stick cabinet unit for $500 on Craigslist.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Cap10_Morgan

I haven't used craigslist in years.  Gonna have to keep an eye out.  Hopefully I can beat jagfandaddy to the punch though!

Rebecca Silverwolf

"Well, we may not have parted on the best of terms. I realize certain words were exchanged. Also certain... bullets."

"If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."

-Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Cap10_Morgan

I'm glad you like it, because I'm thinking it's pretty much the same as the Man O War one that was recommended and the 5 Vegas.  Looks identical with a different paint slapped on the other 2.  I'm pretty sure thats what I'll end up going with unless I find something on craigslist before it's time to buy.  

Thanks again for all the great feedback, everyone!  Ask and ye shall receive is kind of an understatement from what I've seen on this site so far.  Already had a couple PM's offering to sell me samplers from their collections, which will most assuredly get me better cigars for a better price!  Very glad I came back here and actually used the forums!

DonM

You can always do a tupperdor and fill that bytch with cigars until you find a humidor you want :rolleyes:

My 500 ct is stuffed full and I have 100 incoming.......Tupperdor here I come :biggrin:

"The Curmudgeon"

bstessl

QuoteDonM - 5/4/2017  5:58 PM

You can always do a tupperdor and fill that bytch with cigars until you find a humidor you want :rolleyes:

My 500 ct is stuffed full and I have 100 incoming.......Tupperdor here I come :biggrin:

He wants a showpiece first, before the Tupperware and coolers

Cap10_Morgan

Yeah, I know it's lame, but it's  the 1 thing the wife is excired about buying me.  I managed to convince her the $150 for humidor and  30 5 vegas was a good deal, but now I know I can get the humi plus $100 worth of cigars!

Cap10_Morgan

Also...really hoping to fill the "showpiece" up and have tupperdor/coolidor in the back room!

bstessl

QuoteCap10_Morgan - 5/4/2017  11:57 PM

Also...really hoping to fill the "showpiece" up and have tupperdor/coolidor in the back room!

Stick around here and you won't make them fast enough... Lol.  So much enabling...

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.