Question

Started by ratboy, 03/18/2010 03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ratboy

What do you guys consider to be the proper amount or reasonable amount of time to turn around a pass? I have noticed wildly varying times between passes and am just wondering what everyone thinks is proper.

Jackal

I would say that 3-5 days is acceptable.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

NES Tek

My opinion is a few days most. The hardest part though is that life gets in the way some times. We all know when something happens that it may take longer. I do my best to have it out the next day if possible.
"A good cigar is like tasting a good wine: you smell it, you taste it, you look at it, you feel it - you can even hear it. It satisfies all the senses." - Anonymous

"You play five years in a Jimmy Buffett cover band and see what your freakin' wardrobe looks like, butthole!" - gitfiddl

DonM

QuoteJackal - 3/18/2010  4:11 PM

ditto.  5 days is pushing it

"The Curmudgeon"

Jackal

Maybe I should elaborate on my time guesstimate.

I think next day is optimal, 3 days is reality, 5 is pushing it, beyond that is way too long.

Ken Kelley

I try for one day service.  I make my selections from the list in the history section when it transitions to me and have my puts ready to go when the box hits the post office.  I usually get the box back in circulation the first business day after receiving it.  Just my practice and not meant to suggest that everyone do the same.
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

lowpro75

1 week max.  That means you recieve it on a Sat., you get it out by the next Sat.
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

lowpro75

QuoteAlphairon - 3/18/2010  4:17 PM

I try for one day service.  I make my selections from the list in the history section when it transitions to me and have my puts ready to go when the box hits the post office.  I usually get the box back in circulation the first business day after receiving it.  Just my practice and not meant to suggest that everyone do the same.

I tend to do this as well just to get it off my plate.  If it sits too long I may let it slip longer.
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

DonM

I think Jason is right on the money.  

I have observed extended times in a couple of passes, this issue has been beat up in forums, and people continue to do it.

"The Curmudgeon"

NES Tek

QuoteJackal - 3/18/2010  1:14 PM

I think next day is optimal, 3 days is reality, 5 is pushing it, beyond that is way too long.

Yes, perfect summary.
"A good cigar is like tasting a good wine: you smell it, you taste it, you look at it, you feel it - you can even hear it. It satisfies all the senses." - Anonymous

"You play five years in a Jimmy Buffett cover band and see what your freakin' wardrobe looks like, butthole!" - gitfiddl

Jackal

I will throw another pass etiquette question out there.

How many cigars is the maximum that you should take from a pass?

Beegerply

Be respectful in what you take still more BOTL after you :confused:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

lowpro75

QuoteJackal - 3/18/2010  5:15 PM

I really think that depends on the pass and who the host is.  I usually look at the host and what he has tried and make an effort to put in there something that he would like should it get back to him.  I don't think it is unreasonable to take out a lot of cigars if you know that they are something that the host has tried and maybe not liked as long as you are respectful of what you are putting in and the value.  I'm not a fan of taking out an expensive cigar and replacing it with 2 lesser sticks.  I tend to put in more expensive cigars in a pass and try to make sure I put in more value then I take, this tends to limit the amount of cigars I take as it gets expensive.
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

Jackal

That brings up a point.  If I am anywhere near the end of the pass I look at what the pass organizer put in his original list.  

As an organizer of a bunch of passes, I can tell you that it is disappointing to see a bunch of new sticks gobbled up at the end only to be replaced with the same sticks with which you started out the pass.

lowpro75

QuoteJackal - 3/18/2010  5:31 PM

That brings up a point.  If I am anywhere near the end of the pass I look at what the pass organizer put in his original list.  

As an organizer of a bunch of passes, I can tell you that it is disappointing to see a bunch of new sticks gobbled up at the end only to be replaced with the same sticks with which you started out the pass.

Agree.
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

Bob Cordell

QuoteJackal - 3/18/2010  5:15 PM

I say take em' all if you want them, you better replace that many good sticks too!
"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

mountedshriner

IMHO, turn around time for a pass should not exceed 24 hours. Maybe I am out of touch w/reality here, but if I get the pass one day I take/put and turn it the next day. Of course, I probably have a bit more free time than most of my fellow geeks. :shades:

On every occasion I ALWAYS replace more than I take. I feel that is the only fair thing to do in order to reward the person who started the pass. :respekt:
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

akira

QuoteJackal - 3/18/2010  1:11 PM

I agree with this timeframe for the most part, but I do feel that there are times when a couple additional days are acceptable.  Like when your car runs out of gas on the way to the post office and you've been shot and are in the hospital because your car ran out of gas in the wrong neighborhood in LA.  If this happens to you, I, personally would accept a 7 day turnaround.
"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed - Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.'" -Jack Handy

mountedshriner

Quoteakira - 3/18/2010  2:59 PM

QuoteJackal - 3/18/2010  1:11 PM

I agree with this timeframe for the most part, but I do feel that there are times when a couple additional days are acceptable.  Like when your car runs out of gas on the way to the post office and you've been shot and are in the hospital because your car ran out of gas in the wrong neighborhood in LA.  If this happens to you, I, personally would accept a 7 day turnaround.

Absolutely Mike. I was going to say that myself but got distracted!! Good point buddy :biggrin:
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

gitfiddl

QuoteDonM - 3/18/2010  4:13 PM

QuoteJackal - 3/18/2010  4:11 PM

ditto.  5 days is pushing it

I agree that 3-5 days is acceptable, with 5 being on the outside.  I think the big thing is communication.  If you run into a problem that delays things by a day or two, let those involved know what's up.  Generous puts can smooth things a bit.
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

akira

QuoteJackal - 3/18/2010  2:15 PM

I don't think there is a minimum or a maximum.  I usually take anywhere from 2 to 5 sticks, but always replace them with cigars of greater value on a 1 to 1 basis, plus I usually throw in at least one additional cigar.  

I agree that taking one high priced stick and replacing it with 2 medium or lower priced sticks is bad form.  It would be like trading Peyton Manning for JaMarcus Russell and Matt Leinart.
"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed - Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.'" -Jack Handy

Ken Kelley

Need I point out that if you move while the pass is in motion you should please, please, please update your address on the site BEFORE the pass is due to you?
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

gitfiddl

And it always help to confirm the transition when you send it!  :shamebag:
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

akira

QuoteAlphairon - 3/18/2010  3:13 PM

Need I point out that if you move while the pass is in motion you should please, please, please update your address on the site BEFORE the pass is due to you?

On this same point, double check the address you send it to.

junglepete

QuoteJackal - 3/18/2010  4:14 PM

Ditto
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.